Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fundamentals of Light Schoolism Assignments

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi Guys,

I'm really keen to get some feedback and pointers on a self initiated course I'm taking. I really want to improve my understand of colour and light, hopefully this is a place that can help me grow!

I had to apply a White Key Light and slight blue Fill Light to this set up below.

It looks OK but I know there's plenty wrong with it, what would you have done, or changed?

Replies

• kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Good start, but I am very confused as to where the light source is. Your shadow direction and highlight all seem to have come from different sources. The shadow of the big ball also does not follow perspective.

I am also unsure how the ellipse object rests in between the two balls. It looks like an impossible shape.

Bounce light on the red object is blue for some reason? Also remember light will bounce from each object onto the other object.
  • rinarto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ken, ye I think the red object should be hovering in front of the ellipse blue object.. I need to rework the shadows a lot, and the lighting
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Does the lesson have any example images, or additional information? I mean, shouldn't the course be teaching you how to render that scene?
  • rinarto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They teach the theory of it, then give the assignment. There are feedback videos too from other students but it's specific to their assignment. I'm just trying to get a range of feedbacks really just in case anyone can give some useful tips :)
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I see, I had misunderstood you.

- - - - -
     If the key light is white, shouldn't the bulk of the sphere be more red, like its local colour (I assume that's what the original picture is indicating, the shapes and local colours)?

• Chris Krüger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd expect to see something closer to this:

The red sphere is actually hovering, so the cast shadow will probably be closer to us, if the light direction is supposed to be top down.
    You are also desaturating your colours to much in the exposed (lit side) of the objects.
    Avoid that blue fill light. Focus on getting accurate colours based on your main light source, and bounce light.