Home General Discussion

Stuck because of Software

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
yougotdirked polycounter lvl 3
Hi all,

I have a problem further developing my skills. I started using 3d programs on the side in high school, and now that I'm in university I still do. However I have since moved on from the free software to teach myself Zbrush on a cracked version (sorry :( ), because yeah, I do it on the side for practice and I think it's a useful skill to have next to trying to get a CS degree (being able to produce art and code has to be worth something right?).

(Don't get me wrong, I know pirating this stuff isn't the way to go, but it was the most obvious choice for someone in my position)

However, now that I'm fairly confident with Zbrush and wanting to move from my high poly stuff to animating in blender, exporting to Unreal etc., I still needed to retopo. Zbrush is horrible for this in my experience, so I looked up some alternatives that got suggested in tutorials, mainly Topogun and 3dCoat. But this stuff is really really expensive, and I've been trying to look for alternatives, but I also don't want to teach myself to use obsolete software.

How did other people like me, who do this stuff for themselves as hobby or self-improvement or whatever reason besides a college course or their job get familiar with this stuff? Sure, Zbrush was easy enough to get, and once I got the hang of it I didn't look back. But not being able to get to a point where I can use my models in personal work has really put a dent in my motivation.

How do I get experienced in the software that is necessary in a proper workflow, if I can't get my hands on it? The only thing they offer is a 30 day trial, but that's not enough to get real experience.

Let's say my goal is to have some nice models in my portfolio to show off to get an internship at a game studio or something. They can't be just images of some high res sculpts I made, right? And following the pipeline from Zbrush to a game in Unreal is so full of hurdles that I think I might never succeed. Every tutorial out there just uses all this stuff that I have no idea how to get.

Or am I just being unrealistic? I honestly don't know anymore.

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Go get the student versions of Max and Maya. They both have competent retopo tools and are industry standard tools.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    As a student, get student versions of course and you can give Blender a try as well.
    The Sculpting part is for sure not as good as zBrush but you can do some with it as well and basically everything else.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Topogun license is only $100. That's fairly cheap imo. Blender itself has real good tools for retopology too. Its viewport is not the best at handling super high res models but you definitely can get away with a bit of a planning. I mean, it's not like you're doing 3D scans where your models would have hundred million polygons right?
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    In my experience Topogun is the nicest retopo software, mainly as its very simple to use, and only really dedicated to retopology. Support them and buy it!
  • yougotdirked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably gonna try that then :) thanks for the suggestion
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    Topogun is cheap. And it's probably not wise admitting you stole software online. But all in all. Unless you are applying to a 2-3 person operated studio, I do not think I have ever seen a job posting for an engineer that had a plus that you can do art. Or an art posting that had a plus if you could code. It is probably in your best interest to master one and get a job doing one before adding extra tools to your tool belt since you will be competing with people who are only focusing on code or only on art for that first job.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    15-30 days is enough. Unless you're away from your pc 12+ hours a day or have extremely bad focus (like me)
    I learned how to retopo in 3D-Coat in 2 days.  Just read the tool descriptions and click stuff. Its only 99$ if you just want to learn with it too.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    [quote]How do I get experienced in the software that is necessary in a proper workflow, if I can't get my hands on it? The only thing they offer is a 30 day trial, but that's not enough to get real experience.[/quote]
    The software is not important. You could shine using Blender and no one would care it is free software at all. I am not sure why people think because software is open source that it is less good. Look at what can be done with it. If your work is great a studio wont mind if you take a little time to get used to their tools, some studios make their own software or change standard programs so much there is little left over that isn't custom. Also, mentioning you use cracked apps means a ban here.

Forget the software, concentrate on making brilliant work.
  • coljwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coljwood vertex
    I bought the non-commerical version of 3D coat for about $60 in last years Christmas sale. Lucky for you, guess what time of year it is? Keep an eye out (on all software) and you'll find something.

Also, from a moral standpoint, why are you willing to pirate Zbrush but go legit for the rest of the pipeline? If I was you I would ditch the pirate copy, and fast. Again, 3D Coat may be your friend here.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    this is the huge elephant in the room, the high price on all the software, and the necessity for almost all of them for a enrty/intern position. im going to say the following stuff, trying to avoid breaking the "dont condone piracy on polycount"-rule;
    i dont see any other way for all lot of people trying to get into the industry than pirating. this is only an observation, im not saying it should happen. but i belive its true.
    we can all say, "get it at a sale" or student version or something, but a lot of times that is not possible for the best software. and who is willing to cripple their chances by learning anything other than the best? then pirating is the only way out.

as far as i know, most software companies is aware of this, and simply dont care, since the real moneymaker is the game development companies, having to buy the software their artist wants, ie the software they learnt by pirating it before they got hired.
    and somehow that system works, the software companies are alive and well. what bothers me is that they all cant just drop the charade and do the unity4/udk way and make it free for non comercial puproses. would be better, in my opinion.

off topic note; i wish it was possible to have a proper discussion on polycount about piracy, the current rule is unnecessary i think. clearly sharing links and such should be forbidden, but simply saying "i pirate my software" shouldnt be against the rules. wether or not you think its morally wrong, the person is going to do it no matter if they can say it or not. if anything a discussion could change that persons mind, and make a legal consumer out of him/her. and wether you like it or not, its a often occuring phenoma in our industry, and thus a discussion about it should be possible.
  • yougotdirked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured I´d only get in trouble if I was monetizing my work, which I don´t. I didn´t really know discussing/mentioning illegal software was not allowed here, but it´s besides the point really. I think I´m gonna put aside some money and get topogun first, and afterwards save up for a proper zbrush version. I hope to be skilled enough so I can put it to use then.

The reason I downloaded it in the first place is that I was trying to integrate sculpting into my Blender workflow, found sculptris, found it really lacking in tools but it had a great feel to it, then I found Zbrush, which I didnt use for months after installing it since I couldnt get used to the interface. Now that I am, I'm determined to get it legally asap.

Thanks for all the input :)

Also, I've got a student's license for max and maya and other autodesk stuff, but I come from a blender background so I'm trying to use that as much as possible. Maybe someday though.. :P
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Blender don't have build-in good tool for Retopology but a lot of add-ons are available to help you. One of them :
    http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?355154-Addon-Retopo-MT

Be sure to export a "Midpoly" version of your Highpoly to get good perf inside the Blender's viewport.

Topogun it's not a "magic" topology tool, and I wouldn't invest in it (I'm not a pro though).

And if you have a bit of money (I don't know if it's  efficient but it sure looks cool^^ ): 
    https://cgcookiemarkets.com/all-products/retopoflow/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there Yadoob - I personally would recommend getting Topogun anyways, even for users already capable of doing good retopo work in Blender. Topogun really has great features, and ironically enough its strength doesn't lie in its "sexy" tools (things like tube topology, guide strokes, and so on) but rather in its core paradigm - the focus on switching between edit and create modes easily, and the fantastic edge edition tools. Truly a great piece of software, unfortunately often overlooked.

Now of course it is probably overkill for someone just getting into all this.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    a few more to consider: 
    maya LT is $30 a month
    modo Indie edition is $14 a month

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I probably would just learn how to do it in blender or a student edition of Max/Maya first before moving on to Topogun. Stuff like topogun/dDo/quixel/etc are really luxury items. And before someone shoots me, I mean luxury in the sense that you should probably know how to do something manually in 3ds max/photoshop/zbrush/blender/whatever manually first before you start going down the road of specialized tools because you might not yet fully grasp the concept of doing something properly before an automated/specialized tool does it for you. Which also tends to make your usage of these tools not as good as they could be.

Now I'm not saying don't learn these tools, because by and large they are amazing tools to have and to use, and WILL increase your productivity and efficiently, lower your frustration, and allow you to focus more on the fun parts of art. I'm just saying don't get caught in the trap of learning 100 different tools at once before you're at least comfortable doing it "normally." (My advice sounds so hypocritical to me, as everything in 3D is always changing and evolving compared to every other art form/ "normal" is subjective) Sort of like how a painter can have a 100 different brushes for different things, but they really only need to learn at first how to use one to understand the principles.

This is coming from a guy who started out immediately getting quixel ddo, ndo, zbrush, mudbox, sculptris, Max, topogun, photoshop, corel painter, crazybump, UDK, Unity etc. and tried to learn them all at once thinking he needed to know everything before he even knew how to make a proper UV map. YES I thought the unwrap UV modifer and flatten mapping was the only way to make UVs, I didn't know there was a uv map modifier because the tutorial I watched just flatten mapped and stitched a box together. YES I SPENT HOURS STITCHING BACK TOGETHER 20,000 triangles because I thought that's what you do because a guy did it with a box!!!! (Oh younger me, how you make me laugh, and cry....)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Isn't that how all uv mapping was done in 3ds way back in the day?
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree with deathstick .  Topogun does not do anything for you. You still have to manually do the retopology.  Sure there is symmetry but thats not missing in max or maya. And I have never heard anyone I work with suggest doing retopology in max over topogun. You can learn the proper way in topogun just as fast as you could in max but without pulling out your hair.  You can make screwed up topology in max jus as fast as you could in topogun.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah you're right that the whole automate part wasn't really a correct statement for topology. I was trying to hit home that you don't NEED a 100 tools to create a finished quality piece in 3D. Honestly I was more reactionary to the OP's original post and thread title of being "stuck" because of not having it. I was trying to more get across that you can still do proper modeling/UVs/retopoing in an application like max/maya/blender and that because you don't have topogun doesn't mean you can't do topology decently in another application. Learning how a new program or interface works shouldn't be the job requirement, knowing the actual technique behind how to do it properly should be.

Is it easier and faster in topogun? Sure. Is it something that's absolutely needed to work and improve? I don't think so. I'm sure there's plenty of people who create quality retopo'd work within a main program.

Basically to this statement "How do I get experienced in the software that is necessary in a proper workflow, if I can't get my hands on it? The only thing they offer is a 30 day trial, but that's not enough to get real experience.

Let's say my goal is to have some nice models in my portfolio to show off to get an internship at a game studio or something. They can't be just images of some high res sculpts I made, right? And following the pipeline from Zbrush to a game in Unreal is so full of hurdles that I think I might never succeed. Every tutorial out there just uses all this stuff that I have no idea how to get."

I seriously doubt knowing how to use something like topogun is NEEDED to get a job or finish a game model. And to me it sounded like the OP thought he/she couldn't progress any further because they lack the ability to afford a particular piece of software.

I hope that makes more sense on what I was trying to get at, but feel free to disagree :)
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I got what you are saying DeathStick.  the best answer I have for the the op is use what you can get your hands on. If you cant afford a softrware package and you liked it after the 30 day trial, save up for it. I had a classmate in college who always complained that he could not afford certain software or hardware for his pc yet he has the biggest ps3 library out of anyone I know so it was hard to feel sorry for him (NOT Judging you yougotdirked, I'm just using it as an example that some sacrifices may have to be made like not buying coffee from a coffee shop, or not eating out as often etc. my friends just so happened to be too many games) . So yea, if you know how to use max or bleneder, zbrush ,or maya look up how to do retopology in that if you dont want to spend more money. I mean if you know how to use blender and you see a modeling tutorial in max just google the workflow for doing that in blender for the parts that you do not know the equivalent for.
    max and maya are both free for students (and really anyone can fill that application out and get the software) both of which have retopology and animation tools, and both are widely used in the game industry so there is no point in not giving those a try either.
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    @ Pior : I need to dig a bit in topogun then, my first attempts were quite disappointing, I missed a lot the Alt+B option of Blender :)
  • yougotdirked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Deathstick Don't get me wrong, I've been using blender for the last couple of years and know how to do make a proper retopology (at least to my standards), but once I got into Zbrush my workflow changed, but I wasn't really prepared for it. I could probably make some great blender-built models and use those, but right now I feel I can move on from that stage and get one level deeper into all of this by actually teaching myself to use some (semi-) professional software. 
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    What software you do your re-topolgy in is not nearly as important as how well the re-topology is done. It's more or less a similar process in most 3d packages. 

It's true, studios may want you to be familiar with particular software such as Zbrush, Max, Maya, etc. but that's due to work being passed between different artists using a specific company pipeline. I haven't heard of any studio requiring you to do your re-topology in a specific 3rd party program. Artists use 3rd party re-topology software because they have found it is quicker and easier to do.

For portfolio work all that matters with re-topology is the end result. Blender can get the job done. It may not be the fastest or easiest way, but it will work.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    No, I used to hate the retopo tools in zbrush. 4R7 changed that though. It's my favorite now. Still do a lot of topology in 3d-coat and UV of course.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arkaria Am I the only person here who likes the Retop tools in Zbrush ?

That's a bit of a loaded question - it really depends on whether or not you have tried a dedicated, streamlined solution like Topogun to compare it to. If not, you might be digging something just because you haven't tried something 10x better :)

That said, I haven't checked the most recent iteration of the Zbrush topology brush. A couple versions earlier it was far from usable for anything more complex than retopoed panels, but if they did improve it significantly recently I am more than willing to give it another spin. And of course I understand the appeal of being able to stay within a single app.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    I used to use topogun, but now I feel more faster in blender. 
    Every software that offer modeling tools and a decent scene management combined with a basic retopoly tool, bit topogun in my opinion.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah @MmAaXx , in a way that's precisely my point - comparing and evaluating multiple programs against a specific need is paramount. I am not saying that X or Z software in particular is necessarily the absolute best at it (although I have my own opinion on that based on experience and the particular kind of models I am dealing with) - just saying that doing it in Zbrush because it's "good enough" as suggested above is probably not the most efficient way. But again, I am more than willing to try it again if it is really that good now :smile: 

@yougotdirked : the situation that you are in (getting stuck at the sculpt stage with the rest of the gameart pipeline looking like it is full of hurdles) is unfortunately a consequence of too strong a focus on always starting things straight in sculpt as opposed to planning things out in a "regular" 3D environment. In other words : had you learned regular polygon modeling first, many of the alien concepts you are now facing would have been progressively and naturally assimilated. Of course I do understand the appeal of sculpting first, but you are right in your assumption that a game studio requires more skills from a game artist candidate.

So, rather than spending hours/days trying to wrap your head around a sculpt-to-game model pipeline, I would rather advise you to build a low-poly game model from scratch in your 3d environment of choice. Say, something between 5k and 10k tris, with a single 1024 texture for the body and a 512 for the head. These are of course "old school" specs but it will give you a nice, lightweight model to work with that you can built over a day or two, and that you can take all the way to ingame without feeling like you are "messing up" with a carefully sculpted piece that you spent weeks on. And it doesn't really have to be pretty or high fidelity - a simple robot or a lego character could do. And from there on the next step would be to apply all this new knowledge to a more advanced, normalmapped asset.

Of course it would be possible to go the high fidelity route and just keep trying at converting a sculpt to a game model until it works, but I believe that the process can be so complex that it might end up being very frustrating if you are new at it. Also, I am not saying that starting a model straight in sculpt is necessarily inappropriate - just saying that doing so without knowledge of the nitty-gritty aspects of game art always causes issues, as explained by the OP.

Good luck !