Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Busterizer's improvement thread

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
This will be a thread where I will dump my work that I wish to put in my portfolio, or something that I chose to do as practice work (like those improvement threads that keep popping up). I wish to do all work from characters to weapons and props (my skills are around the same in all areas :s ), and I will begin this thread with a character since that is the area that I currently want to improve upon the most.

I plan to update this thread whenever I have some reasonable progress to show (may be sporadic).
I chose this concept to start with

Concept art is by Brandon Liao (it seems that it is only available on Pinterest and not among his other work for some strange reason).

Right than, shall we...

Replies

• Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some work on this today, had to start over a few times too. Definitely gonna be changing the face to try and match the concept art closer. Also, disclaimer, I started with zbro's bust base mesh, much quicker option, since it would take me many iterations to get the head/face to look right.

• Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work on this, I use this project to learn Blender since I need to migrate my work to that, and also some more Zbrush. turns out Blender -> Zbrush and back works quite nice. Not sure how to fix the pinching on the shoulder pads (there is detail on the side of shoulder pad, not visible at this resolution).

• Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a brake from this for entire month, and I finally found some time to work on this again. How do I go around making hair detail exactly? I am not sure what is 'correct' way of doing this part, i tried different brushes but I can't get anything that looks satisfactory really. The boots, belt and the zipper were done in 3ds max, much easier to make it there than in zbrush, at least for me anyway.

• CrazyMoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMoon polycounter lvl 3
    If youre gonna make this for a game or rig it you should model her with the arms at a 45 degree angle to avoid issues :) Doing hair you can sculpt it using clay brushes and dam standard, but theres a lot of ways to do it! Also she looks very stiff try to keep her shoulders more relaxed as in the concept. And for sculpting faces you should really try to make them yourself and not using basemeshes so you get a good understanding of the forms and muscles. Take a look at planes of the face. This is just my humble opinion, hope this helps a bit anyways! Keep on working :D 
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    please consider changing the title. clickbait titles like this is really annoying. "busterizers improvment thread" would work just fine
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my most productive attempt at sculpting hair (at least part of it anyway). I can't get it to have that distinct sharp look to it, instead it has that horrible blobbiness to it. I don't have the luxury called tablet so i can't easily make brush strokes that have differing pressure at beginning and end.

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I don't have the luxury called tablet
    I hope you're planning to get one because honestly, sculpting is going to be very tedious without it. It's much slower and you don't have the same level of precision when you can only use your wrist and arm for control. If I had to make a character without a tablet I don't think I would even bother sculpting it, I would sub-d model it in a standard 3d package. At least with a subd model you'll be able to use control edges and have less geometry to deal with.
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone point me to current generation (or the xbox360 / ps3 generation) face texturing tutorial? Or some walkthrough on how to do this at least? I know there is a way of doing this with photos but I don't want that, how do i make good looking face texture that may be 'slightly' on the stylised side and not completely realistic one. 
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took around two months I think, but its  finally completed. I can't make it any better at this point, so I will call this done and move on to another thing.

You can inspect the model here -> https://skfb.ly/LFZT
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, here is my attempt at doing something that i don't normally try to do; trying to sculpt manga style character. I will stop working on this character now at this stage, since I am completely burnt out on it. I learned a lot while I worked on it but now it just annoys me to no end. Original design of the character is this one here -> http://busterizer.deviantart.com/art/SIN-Character-sheet-Enyo-152247031 , I will most likely revisit this again and try to make a proper character model at some point in future.

• Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message