Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How to model Bicycle in Maya

I was looking in google for answers but there are no completed tutorial for creating a bicycle in Maya. Can you give some steps or tips? That's quit a challenge for me to model such thing, I tried couple of times, but it's very tricky.

Replies

• pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    tumblr_nr7zqaDQjg1roohd8o1_400.gif

Try you best to do it on your own and then post your progress here so that we can tell you what's right/what to change.
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey I don't use maya but why don't you start blocking up your bike's shape with primitives like cylinders. It could be a good starting point
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    yeah I second the advice of a blockout. also once you have cylingers in place and it looks good you can boolean them together. make sure to use good reference. find a specific model of bike and get a clear side view and front view, and if you can find it, a top view. bring your reference into maya and match the proportions exactly with orthographic view.
  • BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    You could find some dirtbike/motorcycle tutorials that would deal with many of the same basic modeling challenges as a bicycle. Plus you usually learn more adapting a tutorial than following step by step :) Also if it just deals with modeling, you can usually adapt a maya/max/c4d/modo/blender you just have to figure out where the tools are in the program you are using.
  • WarrenM
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    This right here :D!
    WarrenM wrote: »
    RobotDesigner.jpg
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    WarrenM wrote: »
    RobotDesigner.jpg
    But first you have to create the sphere out of a utah-teapot...

And now the serious part of this post: Even if you use maya for modeling you could easily adapt other tutorials. Even if they are not made for maya. The principles are the same.
    Here on polycount are a lot posts like "how do i model this in *place your 3d software here*". These posts only indicate that these people need some more overall practice. All applications basically have the same functions and you can adapt them. :)
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Maybe model a bicycle without a tutorial? Think like an engineer, a bicycle is made up of cylinders and circles...look at reference and create piece by piece, starting from the frame.