Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stone Floor Sculpt [WIP]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys, hope everyone's doing good!

I was advised by a few members on the forum to start doing more individual asset projects. Really get to grips with pushing my art skills further, before continuing with full scale environments.

Anyway, i've decided on making a stone floor sculpt, a floor that would be seen say in a dungeon style environment and with a fantasy angle. I've not gone with any concept in mind, and just let my mind do the thinking in terms of shape and form currently. Below are two images, one from inside of ZBrush and one in Marmoset.

2389b96bda.jpg

4249b548c1.png

As you can tell, it's extremely repetitive. However, my next stage is to go in and start creating unique edge wear to each brick, add some chips, cracks and so forth. In the middle, i plan to add an emblem of my choice, which would help to sell the kind of theme the asset it. Currently i have some ideas in mind for the emblem, and the kind of texture i'd want but heck, i'm open to all suggestions!

Later down the line, i'll be using references to help get an idea of adding cracks, some wear and tear and so forth. So far, i just want some feedback for the high poly sculpt.

Replies

• Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    well you got the basic shape done.. not much to say here.. keep going
    if you're going for stylized I'd maybe take a look at fanny vergne as a reference
    http://www.fannyvergne.com/p/wow.html
    apart from all the stuff you mentioned it could need some medium frequency detail like surface variation
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    I don't really like the chips from the edges, they look pretty smooth, like you used the mode tool or something, try using some planar timing brush
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Cay and Maxilator! Yeah it's early stages but it's probably best to submit from early, in case of problems picked out like smooth edges that's been mentioned. An update will be posted later on today, and the sculpt overall shouldn't take me too long to complete.
  • Tim Lewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim Lewis polycounter lvl 7
    I might kill off the low frequency noise you have on the tiles for now, as it's not adding much to the stone.

The edge wear you have seems thin and pretty uniform across all the tiles. Definitely take a second pass at giving more form to the stone and adding more variation to those edges.

Sounds like you have a good idea of where you want to take it, just make sure you've got some good ref to help you along the way.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might kill off the low frequency noise you have on the tiles for now, as it's not adding much to the stone.

The edge wear you have seems thin and pretty uniform across all the tiles. Definitely take a second pass at giving more form to the stone and adding more variation to those edges.

Sounds like you have a good idea of where you want to take it, just make sure you've got some good ref to help you along the way.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be working on the stone floor within the next hour, so i'll post updates here. I'll take a second pass at the edge wear, start breaking up each brick into unique shapes and go from there.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've continued with the sculpt a bit more. I haven't done a second pass on all the bricks yet, the only ones i've done it to so far are the ones in the bottom right hand corner of the stone. I've also gone ahead and added a little bit of noises, get some frequency added.

a36ade44de.jpg

I do feel i may need to go in again on some of those bricks, perhaps take another pass at those edges to really refine them out. Any feedback is more than welcomed. If it's not tonight, i'll return to working on this again tomorrow.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I know this is still early, but really get in there and add some sharp chips as well as the softer wear. Some detail like this would really help:
    2,%20Classic%20travertine%20with%20chipped%20edge.jpg

The basic pattern you have should tile nicely over a large area though, keep it up!
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. wrote: »
    I know this is still early, but really get in there and add some sharp chips as well as the softer wear. Some detail like this would really help:
    2,%20Classic%20travertine%20with%20chipped%20edge.jpg

The basic pattern you have should tile nicely over a large area though, keep it up!

Thanks for the reference! I'll keep this when working on the stone again :)
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've been sculpting into the stone some more. The exception being i've not took a 2nd pass, and added details into the top right quarter of the stone.

c2813f4f03.jpg

It's slowly starting to come together and i'll be adding wear to the middle brick. I'll probably take some more time to add some sharper chips on some of the bricks, before going ahead adding an emblem in the middle and cracks.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys, hope everyone's doing good!

Jokes on you, I'm doing evil, MWAHAHAHA! :poly142:

That being said, big improvement so far! Though the noise is a bit too uniformly applied, in that it looks like the exact same noise texture for every stone without much variation across the stones themselves ala

traditional-wall-and-floor-tile.jpg
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jokes on you, I'm doing evil, MWAHAHAHA! :poly142:

Goddamn it xD

Anyway yeah, i'll need to go in with the Planar brush and start making some of the noise more apparent/less apparent, break up the repetitiveness!

Thanks for the reference and when i next open up the project, i'll keep this in mind.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Morning Good & Evil people! xD

So i've continued with the the sculpt and starting adding definitive details.

c0a0fef675.jpg

I've just got to create the emblen in the middle. I'll more than likely start adding more definitive cracks and chips after adding the emblem and adding some more wear, before wrapping up the high poly for this model. Some of the cracks i may remove, as i feel there lacking in variation, size, shape and mostly in the same quarter.

What i plan to do is make 2-3 different variations of the stone floor, with all the pieces so when it tiles, it's not the same repetitive pattern. Any critique is welcomed.
  • Poinball
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball wrote: »

Ah yes, i found a concept image on google relating back to that tutorial, and found the floor piece to be quite intriguing ;) Shame i can't find any other general concepts, so that's the main concept i've gone by in terms of shapes and form!
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've completed the sculpt by adding the emblem (very much a final fantasy influence on that emblem xD) So critique if welcome. Otherwise i'll decimate this down for my high poly, and get the high poly ready for making into a low poly.

d24ecfc594.jpg

I may also make a maximum of 3 or so variations of the stone, using the bricks i've created so when the floor tiles, they look different.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, it's been a few days since i last posted. Been doing some other stuff, and decided i'd next post once i've baked down, and started the Albedo map. Here's some new shots:

a45a1e1452.png

2435f4c0a9.png

I'm not really sure if i dig the colours going on just yet, although from a perspective the player would look at the asset (fom a top down view presuming) it's not too bad. I've used solid colour layers in photoshop, and could simply changed the colours around, to make some varying textures. Critique is welcomed!
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    If you're going for more of a cartoony style, I'd hit some of the edges with some highlights. Also the emblem is a bit unclear currently, I think a different exposed stone texture to make it look more like it was carved away would help it stand out more as well as carving it in a bit deeper. Seeing image reference of what you're after would be good to see what you're after. I think the colors are nice, but I'd like to see it with some grout in there to see how it really all goes together. And lastly I think you could still add some more edge wear. It's a good start, keep at it.