Home Technical Talk

Ehh Uv's

I spent whole day to understand Uv's and how to approach them.I got a headache from it, I only understand that is the 2D image from a 3D model. But, i am not sure how to do a Uv at all.

I am not sure what is wrong Uv and what is right and correct. I also know that all cut pieces must be place in that Uv place 0 1. But, i also found out that there is another thing, multi tie uv's, which, as much i understand, is larger pieces from the model in that uv place, or whatever is called.

I checked poly wiki, didn't help me at all.

I watched tutorials, most of it, do it automatic uving.

Replies

• Beard3D Bandit
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Hay, what 3D program you using to unwrap in? There are also a couple reallly good youtube tutorials that demonstrate UVs and unwrapping UV's.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    What software do you use, btw ? Some are more practical than others.

In theory, unwrapping UV is like...
    1403.gif?mh=762&mw=645

1769_tid_07-01.jpg
  • Bokchee
    I have Maya and Unfold 3D.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    One thing to keep in mind is (from at least that I remember when I was trying to learn it) alot of the UV tutorials have you focus on learning how to individually wrap a model so everything gets its own unique area to be textured. Which is totally fine and how you'd generally work on things like weapons, small-to-medium sized props, and characters but doesn't work if you want to use tiling textures or symmetry.

For example, if you're making something like a building you probably will want to use tiling textures to keep the resolution up close without having to use insanely large texture file sizes. These basically can have their UV's overlapping and be outside the 0,1 box. It took me awhile to figure out though that you can have multiple UV channels, which is useful for things where you have overlapping UVs but still want to have baked in ambient occlusion or baked lightmaps, which require there to be no overlapping.
  • Bokchee
    I see, okey here is what is bothering me.

First of all, sorry about my English, i will try to explain more clearly as much as i can.

As far as i understand, for more texture work on characters, different part of the body have to be on it's own UV space or uv set. For example, for a heavy and detailed creature i take the head and let's say the chest, and make 2 more UV sets in Maya and place the head on one and the chest of other uv set.

No i have 3 UV sets. The original and 2 more.And what to do now? Can i connect the head and the Chest low poly meshes, with his own UV's the others 2? And what to do if i want now to bake the sculpted poly into these low poly meshes with own UV sets?
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Bokchee wrote: »
    As far as i understand, for more texture work on characters, different part of the body have to be on it's own UV space or uv set. For example, for a heavy and detailed creature i take the head and let's say the chest, and make 2 more UV sets in Maya and place the head on one and the chest of other uv set.

That is a strange way of working, Id say someone starting with characters could just use 1 texture that includes all the uvs in the u1 v1 space.
    Like this
    KilaPart03_30.jpg

Perhaps if you work on cgi for a film you would use seperate uv sets as they would require more details but in games the amount of textures used is important for optimisation so 1 or 2 textures a model is usually better.
  • Bokchee
    Yes i am planning to work on film. Now i am just practicing modeling without touching UVs. I want to start as a intern. So because of that, i want to know how is done, i am just curious.
    Sorry