Home Unreal Engine

Size Recommendations for corridors in UE4

vertex
Offline / Send Message
1813 vertex
Hello!

Just want to know what's the best size for corridors in Unreal Engine 4? Width specifically and height but that isn't predicatively a problem.

Replies

• fangazza
    Offline / Send Message
    1813 vertex
    I was thinking more passage ways in Unreal than your standard corridor/door size.

02DmDeck16NormalLarge.jpg
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Figure out your character scale, and then, see what "feels right"
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Use your charter model as a way to measure, place him in the scene and measure with it. You can do things like say you want your hall to be 4 characters wide and 1.5 tall etc.

Also if your working from concept art you can take advantage of things like doors, tables and chairs. Since they relate directly to the characters scale, and can give you the scene scale relative to your characters scale.
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    A lot of it depends on what gametype you're building for.
    If you're building for UT4 then I would recommend opening one of the retail maps and having a look around. You can use MMB drag in the ortho viewports to measure distance.
    Some of the views can be really crowded so you can select the two (or more) items you want to measure and then hide unselected objects to ease your trouble.
    It seems like most people are building to 500 unit floor heights.
    If you are working on a custom project then I would recommend going to someplace like Turbosquid and downloading a free humanoid model. There are many really good options. Place him in and make sure he's about 180 uu tall if you are going for a 1:1 ratio in your game world.
    In UT4 some of the models are a bit taller. Like the Necris failry towers over the human model.
    Unfortunately the movement mechanics aren't finalized yet so it's very hard to determine custom move ideas for wall run/dodge or ramp boost and such.