Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Unwrap

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
d3ltus polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys,

I have been working on this project for a while now. I have already taken it into ZBrush and made all of the cool details, however it did not have UV's.

So now I am figuring out how to unwrap this bloke.

As of now I have the seams laid out and am trying to figure out the best method to unwrap him. I have tried pelt but that has give some interesting results when using the relax feature.

I have also tried pelt, but when I go to re-size some of the shells I don't get a uniform scale.

I would like to minimize stretching (I know it is unavoidable).

I have tried youtube tutorials, and digital tutors but that has only helped so much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I find zbrush's uv unwrap to be pretty good for faces and bodies to be honest. try letting zbrush do it and then take in into maya or whatever you're using, and rearrange them/scale them to your liking. stretching/warping is unavoidable, the important thing is making sure you have enough resolution for the detail you want. and that in places where there is stretching, it isn't a drastic change from one polygon to the next.
  • d3ltus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d3ltus polycounter lvl 7
    I will be using 3ds Max as I would like to learn its tools. I will try the ZBrush UV toolset on another project.

Thanks!
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Try Headus UVlayout, it's a great tool for unwrapping, speeds the whole thing up and i'd rather be on fire then use anything else ;)
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    I really like Headus as well for organic model unwrapping. It is quick and it has really great tools for fine tuning the unwrap. I just recommend having the manual open on the internet the first couple times you use it. It's not the most intuitive software but it becomes very easy once you know what hotkeys and tools are available.
  • d3ltus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d3ltus polycounter lvl 7
    So I set the seams in Max and then used GoZ to take the model into ZBrush. There I used UV Master to pelt/unwrap the model. There are some things that would be easier to delete and then symmetry over. Gotta play around and figure it out. Also need to resize some parts. Like the face.