Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

To study or not to study? (portfolio example included)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AlexKuhn polycounter lvl 4
Hello Polyount people!,

2 years ago i posted here because i wanted to know if my portfolio was good enough to apply to university.
(thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127660 )
I applied to many schools and also looked for work. I got accepted for a 3d Art job and worked there for 1 year (not specializing in character art, I was mainly doing architectural visualization. Everytime i had to sculpt a figure or even just drapery i was super happy :poly124:).
During that i tried to improve my art skills and was drawing a lot and sculpting digital and with clay like crazy after work almost every day :D
Since I am planning to be a sculptor i am wondering how to go about it. Should i go study and make a portfolio during that time or would it be smarter to make my portfolio now and try to find an internship or a job? Studying would be more expensive and maybe i could learn even more with an internship/job. But maybe I need more time to learn and improve my art skills? What do you think? I would be really thankful for some advice :)

The attached image is btw a WIP i think i´ll change the wings completely

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Thats really hard to judge based on one image and its hard too see definition as a cause of the material. Taking a weekends only job and working 6 months intensively on your portfolio should be enough to have a good portfolio and many doors open Id say, but thats only one option.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Depends on a lot of different things.

Are you planning to apply work overseas? Can you afford university? What sort of course are you after, a broad art/design degree or a specialized one? Do you enjoy a classroom environment?

Degrees are expensive but accreditation from an institute makes it easier for visa applications overseas, and several similar situations. The right school can really help you with your fundamentals but is intensive, demands a lot of hours. Some universities have connections with certain industry firms, so there is that too. These are some of the things you should consider.

Also as Shrike said, its tough to judge your skill level based on one image. More samples of your work would be good!
  • AlexKuhn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKuhn polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the replies. I didnt post more of my work because i am not satisfied with it. It is nothing i would put into my portfolio since they are only doodles or not finished or too old. I would have to make a completely new portfolio that shows my current knowledge/skills.

I am planning to also aplly overseas. Not only for work but also for university maybe. Im thinking of the Think Tank Training Center in Vancouver but as i said its really expensive and if it would be possible to make a portfolio and get accepted for a job the outcome would maybe be the same but without paying a lot.

Here is more of my work but again its nothing i would consider as portfolio pieces. And sorry for the mess in the background and the lighting on one image i have no better images of that sculpt yet.

What would be your advice for starting a portfolio? What should I do? Use concept art other artists made or should I make my own concept art or sculpt without concepts? I really dont know :/ but i think not knowing where i want to go could be the cause...

The Orc-bust was just a 2 hour doodle for a 3D print test.

Also if you have advice for me referring to the sculpts i would love to hear it.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I think that you will learn much more with Video Tutorials.
    The money that i spend for Art School was thrown out of the window.

@School i learned maybe 3% of my complete knowledge.
    97% is selfstudy and watching Video Tutorials.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I think you'd learn more taking 5 or so projects through the full pipeline to finished, polished portfolio pieces than you would attending school.
    Maybe, since you want to be a sculptor (?? more info on your job aspirations would be helpful; do you want to make toys or statues, or do you want to be a character artist?), you could even do more than that since you don't necessarily need a fully functional LP nor textures. Mini projects with a few figures in a series, or something.

Use your own concepts, do likeness studies or use other existing concepts... whatever strikes your fancy and whatever you have fun doing. All will be impressive if it's what you want to do-- and as long as it demonstrates that you can do the job you want to get.

That kind of stuff, research/self study and perhaps a mentorship. That sounds much cheaper, and potentially more efficient depending on the type of person you are, than attending an art school.

But again. This is a personal decision. I went to art school and it was pretty much exactly what I wanted. I wouldn't claim they taught me too much of what I know and use now, though. At least not during class time.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Looking at what you can already do a full collage degree really is not what I would do.

I used to sign up to sculpting and drawing classes at the San Francisco community collage not to far from my apartment when I was still in the US. The class was cheap, you can also choose to attend without credit, and they provide live models. It was fun and won't put any heavy burden on your wallet.
  • itzaspace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for a good artists, no matter how you good are, there are always toons of things to learn and study, never is enought.
    I'm in the same moment that you are.
    I prefer to work more in my portfolio and study full time until i feel that i have surpassed myself and demostrate all my talent.
    If you get a job, you will no have much time to your personal work or study more.
    Until you feel that you have demostrate in your portfolio all your best, i think that that is the moment to find a job.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    university and self study combination is the best way I believe. You'll always learn more by yourself but networking and a degree can get you far. All my current jobs have been from my network at my school. If you do decide to go to school though for this, make sure it is one of the best. The best school have the best teachers with also the best networks in the industry. If your the best in the class, they will recommend you to companies. I know places like EA Tiburon and some other companies don't usually hire interns without a masters degree from a place like FIEA.

depends what you want to do, there is no right answer, just different paths. You gotta decide on the right one.
  • BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    tahakitan wrote: »
    university and self study combination is the best way I believe.

Totally agreed, when I was in school I was constantly working on portfolio projects outside of class and doing tutorials to better my skills. I learned a lot from the university I went to, but I feel like I learned a lot more on my own. My only advice is before you apply to a university and invest potentially huge amounts of time and money check it out very closely, look at CURRENT student portfolios/work examples.