Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creating Large Scale Environments

Hello everyone!

How do I go about creating a large out doors environment like a lot of fields or canyons or mountain ranges? For films rather than games but any and all advice is welcome!

I am a bit stuck with it all really, I might as well list all the questions I have about it rather than a large paragraph.

How do I model it? I use Maya at the moment, do I need another program to do it then import to maya when done?

At what Scale do I do it at? - Is 1:1 too huge and difficult to get around or for the computer to cope with?

Adding all the grass and rocks and trees? - I know of SpeedTree but I have no money what so ever so I can't afford that.

I have had a look around but not really found anything that I can use, thank you if you can help in any way though! :)

Replies

• rbong obong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rbong obong polycounter lvl 8
    well for games world machine is used for creating terrain but im sure it can work well with films too. sorry thats all i got.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    For films, I think they use software like World Machine, Vue and Terragen to make those landscapes
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Terragen indeed mostly if your location doesn't matter that much (altho TBH I am not sure you can't scout location and find our the topological data of them).

Lately I've seen photogrametry taken by either choppers or drones (5K pictures for each pic, composed of 400 shots average for an emviro) then processed in photoscan for very specific locations, that are then outputed as meshes from point cloud, processed into Zbrush / mudbox for optimization and / or further detailing (later on), but the base meshes are separated into chunks with UDIM workflow in mind, then imported back into photoscan to bake the texture from the point cloud data on each mesh, ten outputed as textures to be imported in Mari, either as a whole mesh for the whole enviro, or separated depending on polygons count, to get rid of all trees / houses / pipelines and what not (8 or 16k textures but depending how close from camera, you could get away with 4ks) then replaced by actual trees, either from speedtree or cutom modeled, grass ans bushes pass, then custom made rocks scattered around.

Choco have some youtube videos about creating mudbox stamps to sculpt mountains from world machine. Looks awesome to me.