Home Technical Talk

3D Modeling Blockout

If I want to model something in perspective, lets say an environment, is there a way to blockout it using the concept art reference?
Here are examples of concept art references or references in general in prespective of items I would like to model but dont have any clue how to approach modeling them

FtH2f5K.jpg
8pqCi1J.jpg
rgtOKF9.png

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The best approach is to get started already and do your best :)

Being able to solve this issue is precisely what is expected from modelers in a studio environment. In some cases you will get more details (like cross sections/elevations/blueprints of tricky areas, and so on) ; but in my opinion, the best approach is to first try your best, especially since blockouts are very fast to do anyways. All these images are pretty self explanatory.

(For tight detailling that's a different story, because you don't want to end in a situation where you model everything twice of course).
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Sometimes before blocking out, it helps me to stick the concept onto a plane with a uvmap adjusted against the perspective/angle of the concept, instead of a plain background image. Still not an easy way out, but helps a little if an angled picture is all you're given.

2cents
  • sharsein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sharsein polycounter lvl 9
    Keep it simple. If you start in maya or similar package, you have basic primitives (cube/box, sphere/ovoid or whatever it's called, cone, pyramid, cylindar etc)
    Restrict yourself to only move/rotate/scale tools. Don't get into actual modeling just yet.

In that 1st image, you have that table which is basically a flat cylinder. You can use that as a starting point to figure out how to angle the box/cylindar forms of the chair/couch

The tire in the 2nd image is basically a torus. Start there.

The third image is essentially a sphere on top of cylinders welded together to create flowing tube forms

Once you have primitive blockouts, you can decide how to proceed. For example, using the primitive blockouts as volumetric reference you can remodel everything into flowing meshes, stealing pieces of the blockouts where convenient. Or for more organic forms, take the blockout into Zbrush and dynamesh it together for your base form.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @ leilei -Yeah, you can even cut/duplicate straight from these planes, it's a pretty fast technique.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I usually looks for cylinders first (the circular portion of them), since those shapes are very rarely going to be squashed or stretched into ovals. Get all those circles down and then it becomes easier to compare the rest of the shapes and sizes to them.

The examples have quite a few different cylindrical shapes throughout them.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    @Gelatin

Hi man! I guess you could say this is a 'how do I think about thinking on an approach' for creating an environment.

There are many tutorials to help give you an idea on how to create a number of 3D assets, based from a single/multiple conceptual images (whether it's another artists concept or your photographs)

I've been investing in some Gnomon tutorials mate, and there's one that's very in tune with this:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/955/environment-modeling-for-games#.Vg71OvlVhBc

Here is a youtube playlist I initially used which I like, he started with the concept and created a structure based from that, he also outlines how to prep for the textures and priorities with his textures:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3bRqax9US6LhaAPLagGp7j5RtuvEUB0H

Basically, define what the environment is, have several references for props and where they will be within the scene, and for each asset you can then have a closer look at blocking them out and defining the amount of materials/textures.

Good luck and have fun!
    -Beardy