Home General Discussion

How do you find an idea for modeling?

amititush
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
amititush polycounter lvl 2
How do you find an idea to 3d model something?

Replies

• Anth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anth polycounter lvl 3
    think of a concept and then google the hell out of it and pick parts of from stuff you like !
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    I just browse Artstation.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    For a while (in the context of original character designs to create for a game) I would browse TVTropes. I highly do not recommend this.

After that, maybe a crappy sketch or two will come out. and maybe the blender default cube will be extruded or deleted to a plane and mirrored and an extrusion marathon would begin from there until character is formed.

Drawception USED to be one of those sites where inspiration and fun can be had from random subjects to draw, but it's just all steven/mlp/pokemon circlejerk now, so art resource = depleted
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Popol wrote: »
    I just browse Artstation.

Usually my go-to as well. But do not just model anything, model something with a purpose. If you know what you want to specialize in, or an inkling of an idea, start picking concepts and ideas off the shelf that relate to those goals of what you want to be in the industry.

If you want to be a character artist, could grab some more cartoony styled characters with more basic shapes, easier texture to jump into, no need to bake, etc. Work your way up!

If you wanna do props, start with something small like a small vignette of vases on a box and setup a little scene with a nice 3 point lighting setup, and use PBR materials. After you build that first little scene move up to something a little more difficult in terms of shapes, build a high poly, low poly, and then practice baking.

The key thing that I am trying to emphasize here is fundamentals. Fucking NAIL the fundamentals, and you can start to gain the confidence and build a workflow to tackle any difficulty of concept or idea. Build good habits and master the tools, and you can pick just about any concept off the shelf and model it. When first starting out though, I highly recommend grabbing concepts that fit criteria to help build your portfolio and skillset.
  • amititush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amititush polycounter lvl 2
    Add3r wrote: »
    Usually my go-to as well. But do not just model anything, model something with a purpose. If you know what you want to specialize in, or an inkling of an idea, start picking concepts and ideas off the shelf that relate to those goals of what you want to be in the industry.

If you want to be a character artist, could grab some more cartoony styled characters with more basic shapes, easier texture to jump into, no need to bake, etc. Work your way up!

If you wanna do props, start with something small like a small vignette of vases on a box and setup a little scene with a nice 3 point lighting setup, and use PBR materials. After you build that first little scene move up to something a little more difficult in terms of shapes, build a high poly, low poly, and then practice baking.

The key thing that I am trying to emphasize here is fundamentals. Fucking NAIL the fundamentals, and you can start to gain the confidence and build a workflow to tackle any difficulty of concept or idea. Build good habits and master the tools, and you can pick just about any concept off the shelf and model it. When first starting out though, I highly recommend grabbing concepts that fit criteria to help build your portfolio and skillset.
    Thanks for the reply.

The problem is, someday I want to model vehicles, and the other day I want to model props.
    I think I like modeling props more, but I can't take insperation from anything :poly117: .
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds like you want to get into hard surface work then! Check out artists like Paul Pepera (http://www.peperaart.com/), Tor Frick (http://www.torfrick.com/), Nicholas Cort (Nick's Artstation), Polygoo, etc etc. There are so many great hard surface artists that do props, vehicles, weapons, etc. that you can reference.

Start small and work your way up, vehicles are very time consuming and generally a difficult prop to make at a very high quality. I say start with barrels, lanterns, tools, etc. Grab a tool from your shed or garage or whatever. Model a high poly, a low poly, bake it, and then build some realistic PBR based materials. Work through the steps and start practicing ASAP. The bar is set ridiculously high these days for hard surface work.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Pinterest, Artstation, PC Monthly Challenge, etc.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    amititush wrote: »
    The problem is, someday I want to model vehicles, and the other day I want to model props.
    whenever something catches your eye on the internet just save that shit to a folder and then when you sit down to start a project open that folder up and pick something from it

picking a project is never the hard part and often becomes an excuse for not doing anything imo
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Old photographs
    Memories
    Life Events
    Mishaps in life

Don't mean to make this sound dramatic and melancholy but I think the best ideas you can have or get are from what you've experienced yourself instead of googling "concept of car/character/etc." and make them more meaningful , when it comes to getting ideas, that's just me.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    I pick something that I Like and would hold my interest for hours. nothing sucks more than being half way through a project and being bored of what you are making.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    - have a rough idea what you waant to do. Like "hard surface or organic"
    - decide the like mech, char, weapon etc
    - search for inspiration
    - fall in love with a concept or idea/item etc
    - do it : P
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    when i'm taking a shit.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    The shower is the better idea developer of the bathroom. I think about shaders, code and forum posts when I shit
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    picking a project is never the hard part and often becomes an excuse for not doing anything imo

I go back and forth between completely agreeing with this statement, and being in denial, haha. Seriously, this is some great wisdom here, and I think it should be spammed everywhere on the internet.
  • shahid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Start with simple "Plan" play with it's plygons, edges and vertex.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    rino wrote: »
    when i'm taking a shit.

I really believe most of talent is just interest ( and being a nerd is just someone that takes extreme interest in things ).
    So whenever I have a block I never try to force an idea.
    Knowing that nerdy inspiration is probably just a long #2 visit away.

Inspired ideas always turn out better than forced ideas.
    Doesn't mean that brainstorming can not seed that inspiration. Just better to sleep on it if it becomes apparent that yer sloshing through a forced idea.

The awesome genesis that can happen during sleep is probably worthy of a different thread. ( greatest feeling in the world to wake up with a eureka moment! )
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Usually w/e you find an interest in i guess, it could be anything. Either i come up with an original concept, or usually just fanart of something i enjoy(Characters/Creatures mostly). Film/tv(usually a creature or an actor/actress) , animation, games, nature etc and everything else.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Honestly, how do you not come up with ideas to model? Between a couple big ambitious projects, dozens of real-world objects that look interesting to recreate, and concept art that looks cool, I've got a back log that'd take years to clear out even if I didn't have any new ideas.