Home Technical Talk

How to prepare the UV size in environment ?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Klo Works polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys

until now there is one part confuse me, when I model a weapon or any props, usually I add it in 1 UV and make all the UV checkboard equals.
and that fine I already understand it.

but when I have many stuff inside environment scene how I prepare my UV ?

let say this very simple example
Cn9HIDt.png

got bed - cupborad chair etc...

how I decide if I need to put ALL objects in 1UV ,or I should make the bed and cupboard in 1UV and the chair table in another UV ?

another example I make a door gate but after I finish all I found the resolution was bad even with 2048 =_= and I was suppose to separate in 2 UV to be good quality.

so is there a way or rule to follow for my environment resolution so that not find different qualities in my scene ?

Replies

• Zezeri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best is to unwrap all objects, then scale all islands so that they match your desired Texel Density and then see how many objects you can fit in one map and if you need to put some Uv islands in a 2nd map.

Also depends on your desired texture size ofc.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Not really relevant for this example, but if this is in a production environment you'd probably re-use these assets in different places. So I'd probably only have objects share textures if they're usually going to be placed in the same room. For example, a bed and table probably won't be used in the same room every time. So you'd have to load in a bigger texture than necessary. Though it depends on whether you're streaming textures or if they're always loaded in memory for a level. There's so many ways of doing these things and there's so many factors to consider, it's hard to tell you 1 definitive way of doing things.
  • Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zezeri wrote: »
    Best is to unwrap all objects, then scale all islands so that they match your desired Texel Density and then see how many objects you can fit in one map and if you need to put some Uv islands in a 2nd map.

Also depends on your desired texture size ofc.

you mention "match your desired texel density" I keep read about this but my biggest question how I prepare the texel density ?
    Joost wrote: »
    Not really relevant for this example, but if this is in a production environment you'd probably re-use these assets in different places. So I'd probably only have objects share textures if they're usually going to be placed in the same room. For example, a bed and table probably won't be used in the same room every time. So you'd have to load in a bigger texture than necessary. Though it depends on whether you're streaming textures or if they're always loaded in memory for a level. There's so many ways of doing these things and there's so many factors to consider, it's hard to tell you 1 definitive way of doing things.

yeah, my planning environment for game.
    so you mean like example, "picture frame" and I am planning to use it in many levels, so its better to make it in 1 UV and not to share with objects that can only be used in one level right ?

and if you let me know what are these factors I will be thankful, links or videos :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Klo Works wrote: »
    you mention "match your desired texel density" I keep read about this but my biggest question how I prepare the texel density ?

Do you have access to digital tutor? This particular video helped me when I was trying to figure out what textel density meant practically.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    You should set a number like 256px per metter or 512px depdends on how close u get on the objects, and this program can help u do that. http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/advanced-uv-normalizer , u can set a specific px area and it will give u the right texture resolution per object. This way you don`t get objects sharper or smoother, they remain the same. Hope it helps.
  • Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s1dK wrote: »
    You should set a number like 256px per metter or 512px depdends on how close u get on the objects, and this program can help u do that. http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/advanced-uv-normalizer , u can set a specific px area and it will give u the right texture resolution per object. This way you don`t get objects sharper or smoother, they remain the same. Hope it helps.

thanks guys,
    sorry I was busy with my college.

ok here the part that I don't understand the meaning of "256px per meter"
    I keep reading like 512 per meter or some times 256 per meter,
    what exactly mean by this if you guys can explain with some examples will be great.
    and why let say I decide on 512 per meter?what the rule of it ?:)
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Pixels per meter, or any unit of measure really. It can be any value over any distance. The point of it is to ensure all your objects are consistent. So in your example if you chose 512px per meter, your table (assuming it is one meter across) would have 512px of texture across the top.

You can then work from this to figure out what size texture sheets you need to use, 1k,2k,4k, ect. And this will help determine what to use for your other models.
  • JGallagher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGallagher polycounter lvl 3
    I'm new to 3d modeling but I've typically been unwrap everything then using a MapScaler modifier in 3ds Max to ensure everything has the same scale. Is this a bad way of doing things? (Learning ArchViz with 3ds max, and also UE4) It seems to work, but should I be learning the pixel per meter method?