Home General Discussion

Software - Where to begin after graduation?

Hello everyone ^^ my names Jessi Enriquez and I am going to be a graduate of 3d animtion in about 8 months. So far I've done fine on the student software provided by autodesk and zbrush my school offers. I am getting close to graduation and I am thinking about the future. I have started to research autodesk prices and I have to say im extremely daunted by them so I have a few questions.

1. What programs should I focus on affording first straight out of college?(I am thinking in terms of building a portfolio off freelance work)

2. Should I not worry about freelance and just work on projects I can within the education license I still have in order to build up my portfolio?

3. How do people afford autodesk's prices and how are people coping with the loss of perpetual licenses? Should I try to grab one while I still can?

thank you guys so much for taking a look at my post any feedback I was appreciate so very much ^^!

Replies

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Modo is a great option. Or you could use Blender.
    Things like the Quixel suite and Substance Designer/Painter are very affordable.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Use the Educational Licenses to work on your portfolio, unless you're actively making money with the software, I would avoid spending money on it.

As far as Free and 100% Legal for all purposes goes, there's Blender.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Well I'd make sure you download the latest version of whatever autodesk student software you have available before you leave so you get another 3+ years out of it to work on portfolio work.

I personally use the subscription based method of Max although it is expensive for someone right out of college at $200 a pop, although you should work that cost into whatever freelance jobs you get. If you work at an actual studio they usually provide the software.

Personally I'm interested in finding some time to learn modo after work since it's half the price of what max/maya retail at and is perpetual.
  • JessiEnriquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see modo :O! ill have to look into it and learn it on my own >-< thanks everyone for the suggestions :O i saw autodesks new subscriptions and its depressing how expensive it is.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    LMP wrote: »
    Use the Educational Licenses to work on your portfolio, unless you're actively making money with the software, I would avoid spending money on it.

This. 100%.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Student versions of Autodesk keep working after you graduate, if you aren't signed up for their free student software program, do it now before your graduation. Maya, 3ds Max, and Mudbox are all on there. Don't use them commercially. You should be able to use the software until the license term has expired.

Free
    Unreal Engine 4
    Blender

For cheap software - Look at and do free trials for
    Substance Designer/Painter - Through Substance Live Indie it's $20 a month for 16 months. But sometimes it goes on sale on Steam during Steam sales.
    Modo Indie
    3d Coat
    Marmoset Toolbag

2. Don't use educational software for freelance. You can use indie software, but make sure you read the agreements and limitations.

3. Don't try to buy professional versions of Autodesk software before you are working in the industry, Modo Indie and Maya LT make more sense. And there's always Blender.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    as long as you are not doing freelance you can use the educational license, and unless autodesk has changed its educational license sign up in the last 6 months you do not need an email ending in .edu to use it. notice it asks for an email address and the url for your schools home page. you can pretty much put in any major university with an art program and whatever email address you like to use it. I've known too many classmates stop working on their portfolio claiming they should not use the edu license after they graduate. dont be like them. build your portfolio and get a job in the industry, and dont waste your money trying to buy pro licenses unless you intend on doing freelance or selling on the unreal and unity marketplace/store.

2 what ZacD said, but if you are fresh out of school you may want to bolster your portfolio before doing freelance. and if you are doing work just on your portfolio educational is all you need

#3. I subscribed to maya Lt for a year with the intention of selling stuff on the unreal and unity market place, and eventually save up for a full version of modo. but then (thankfully) my internship turned into a full time job, and I have done absolutely nothing to sell due to being too tired when i get home and confusion on how my non-compete clause in my contract works. will probably talk to management later when i find more time. But I do not intend to rent max or maya perpetually giving autodesk money for updates that rarely improve or make the software more stable.
  • JessiEnriquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks so much raptor ^^ your response really helped me put things into perspective! i plan on finding an internship next semester and it didnt occur to me that being hired could be one possibility :O i have signed up for modo just now and cant wait to get into it :3 thanks guys so much for the guidance! it really means alot ^^
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Subscriptions. If you're taking your profession seriously, there's no reason you can't afford Maya LT + Mudbox for a combined $30/month. Both are the closest to AAA/Hollywood tool sets on a budget and most people pay more for their cellphones.

Anything on Steam usually goes on sale once during the holidays, so I would wait and see what happens with Substance there.

A lot of people see ZBrush or 3D Coat as an investment. Pixologic has yet to charge for an upgrade and once you own 3D Coat, it's about $60 for the new versions, which you'd pay for a AAA game anyway.

It mostly comes down to what your priorities really are.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I would go with Blender (free) or Modo Indie (15$/m) along with Photoshop (10$/m)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you say 3d animation, is that your degree or are you actually working as an animator?
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    use the educational licenses to bolster your portfolio.

What kind of industry are you getting into?
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    You used Autodesk soft at school, get the free educational licenses for use at home. Then you will only need to buy Zbrush.

If you get a freelance gig, subscribe to the Autodesk software for however long it takes to finish the job.