Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] In the mountains environment

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
MasterJV polycounter lvl 3
Hello all,

This is a continuation of my previous thread, but since the project has taken a different direction, I figured it be better to start a new thread.

Here's a link to my previous post: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156044

I've done some changes to the project as a whole. I decided to move the whole thing outside on a hill top. I'm still using the assets I created for the underground version. It actually looks 10x better and has more atmosphere to it.

So the area is called Black Hills Peak, there used to be a building on top but got damaged over the years. Someone has moved up here and built a sanctuary for their dark rituals, the crystals that are floating and chained to the rocks are what generate the obelisks to give it power.

Overall, I like where this is going and excited about the end result.

BHP_WIP_02_zpszmwclptr.jpg

BHP_WIP_03_zpsoydoqqpd.jpg

BHP_WIP_10_zpsht65yia4.jpg

BHP_WIP_12_zpscga2qlyj.jpg

BHP_WIP_13_zpsii5ukc5a.jpg

Replies

• Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Looking pretty cool so far! I assume you will be adding snow and such to the ritual area later?
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    You got some really nice scenery set up there :) Will be keeping an eye on this project.

Cheers!
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :) I will be adding snow to the ritual area later on, right now just focusing on the terrain and such.
  • foreverlost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you've definitely given this one a big makeover.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looking forward to this
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my project, I added some foliage and water. Spending so much time with the terrain. I've added some images below, I did one with a sun set just for fun. Scenery is getting there.

BHP_WIP_Tree_01_zpsqgiiewjl.jpg

BHP_WIP_17_zps8qzlnzls.jpg

BHP_WIP_16_zpsezh6fwbz.jpg

BHP_WIP_18_zps9qpm1cs3.jpg
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind Traveler polycounter lvl 16
    This is a really cool progressive project. It's nice to see it go throw all the stages of iteration while at the same time solidifying in its direction and overall vision. I am definitley looking for to more updates. Cheers! -A
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Have added some chain fences to the scene with lighting.

BHP_WIP_Fence_02_zpsxlsfpu1e.jpg

BHP_WIP_Fence_01_zpsovwgijgp.jpg

BHP_WIP_23_zpsyllwifx9.jpg

BHP_WIP_21_zpsvdoshwd7.jpg

BHP_WIP_22_zpsjuotjkqf.jpg
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been spending more time on my foliage and terrain. Decided to redo the trees, they weren't working for me and seemed too low poly, I've added some rocks and plants.

I also added snow particles to the scene.

BHP_WIP_Foliage_zps3dfrf5qn.jpg

HighresScreenshot00002_zpsuritsmwb.png

HighresScreenshot00007_zps1wibrluf.png

HighresScreenshot00006_zpsaiwlkxu1.png

At the same time I redid the pathway, much better than before.

BHP_WIP_GravelSculpt_zpscpxt7alt.jpg

HighresScreenshot00008_zps9lo5ib2b.png

Think the next step would be to get the bridge made.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I'd make some damaged spread out pavers and stair path assets to litter around your paths...and not use the brown, make the path texture a grayish blue like it's icy....This scene would feel more eerie or foreboding with less lit torch holders. attempt to light the scene mainly with a directional light from the moon, and then only have a few of these chain lights on the path where it makes sense (in a game you'd use the light to lead the player, think about spacing these lights out in that manner....if you have a lit area, looking around from that point what is the next area of light/point of interest?)

You should try using a cool color pallet with your warms being your contrast and lighting.
    super quick adjustment:
    f4308d656d6d8036bb85004a988040a7.jpg
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron: Thanks for the feedback, I like your idea on adding pavers to the pathway, might add some stone slabs. I'll play around more with the lighting and torches. As for the point of interest, it would be the tower, I'm going to add some torches there as well but wanted to mainly focus on the terrain and background first.

I like what you did with the image, it's actually looking a lot better. I'll use this as reference and try to aim for that. Thanks again :)
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Agreeing with Pixel, I would add, breaking up the lighting of the torches might help as well. Light them sporadically to give more visual interest and leave some off completely. Maybe make a broken version, or some logs around the trees for some horizontal balance to the scene. It's looking nice!
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Added some stone slabs and bricks across the pathway, added stairs on the ramped areas. Decreased the intensity of the torches, they seemed way too bright and overpowering. Made the moon much brighter and scaled it super large for fun, actually fits the scene.

I still want to add some logs across some trees, which I'll be focusing on next but also want to get the bridge up.

HighresScreenshot00009_zpstwziizzk.png

HighresScreenshot00010_zpsdcuoryor.png

HighresScreenshot00011_zps2f1gemrk.png

HighresScreenshot00012_zps8ddky9mh.png

HighresScreenshot00013_zpsagjv7tv2.png
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    big improvement on the lighting with the latest update! I think the orange torch lights could do with a bit more intensity, though. maybe ~25%+?

adding more mist/fog might help as well. there is a lot of good mood in your initial screenshots in this thread
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks CordellC, I could give the torches an intensity boost, I think there's still more tweaking to be done. But glad you think it's an improvement, I find lighting to be a bit of a challenge for me.
  • Ignacio_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignacio_G polycounter lvl 7
    Hm, this is coming along. What I think you intend to be the focal point (the top of the mountain ruins), i don't think is strong enough yet. It needs to be more visually interesting, more composition surrounding it, a purpose, visual story telling etc. What you have right now of this are torches lighting a road leading up to it and some floating rocks which I'm not sure why they're even floating.

I'd push it a lot more. Explain why the rocks are floating and strengthen that focal point.
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ignacio_G: To be honest, I've spent so much time on the terrain, foliage and lighting that I've neglected the ruins. At the moment it's just temporary assets, nothing is final yet, so might remove/keep some things. I'll get to it eventually and start creating a story from it :)