Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please give me some critique on my Portfolio

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MGHMahoney polycounter lvl 6
Hello guys, please give me some critique in my portfolio. What du you guys think I could make better on my renders?

Thanks

https://honesmartin.wordpress.com/
*mod edit* replacing fishy URL with correct one

Replies

• BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    critique 1: Check your link ;)

Edit: It may be on my end, I copied the link and it works fine sorry! Think I need to run a spyware scan :poly124:

Your work looks great! The only thing I would suggest is on your 1911 model be more specific with the wear and scratches on the texture. Think of the places the metal would actually wear (holster wear, around the trigger guard, the bottom of the magazine well)
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    interesting that it doesn't work if you click on it
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
  • BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    C86G wrote: »
    Test:

https://honesmartin.wordpress.com/

edit: this one works (for me)

same for me now that's odd
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Real talk time!

1. Widowmaker is decent enough but aren't a lot of interesting or impressive shapes on it so it doesn't leave too much of an impression. You've added some personalization to it, but the texturing still looks a bit boring. Try to add some more wear and grunge to it. Here's an example of a more interesting version of the gun: widowmaker_large.jpg
    2. The Colts texturing again looks pretty boring. The woods color and general material definition looks way off.
    3. The ancient alarm looks absolutely fantastic. The wood could use some better edge wear, with some brighter colors on the edges. Other than that this is definitely your best piece.
    4. Dungeons 2 is good as it shows that you have some professional experience, but most of the models and materials look pretty flat. That seems to kind of be the style of the game but IMO most of the models don't look that great. The characters don't look great to begin with and if you only did the texturing that kind of diminishes their value even further.
    5. Always, always compare yourself to the best of the best, don't settle for mediocrity and keep pushing your personal stuff until it looks up to par both modeling and texturing-wise: Example 1, Example 2.
    6. If you have a concept and/or reference image add them so that we can see how close you actually nailed the models.
    7. Add a more formal resume that's downloadable and easily overviewed (preferably without scrolling), in other words fewer big pictures and more bullet points.
    8. Make it clearer what you actually want to do. Are you all about characters, props or guns?

Hope it's been somewhat helpful!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    I guessed you used the quixel suite to texture the Colt before I even read it. The wear and tear for the most part looks random and not placed where it should be which is a big give away that DDO was used for a quick job or that you are new to the program. You could also heavily optimize the polycount by deleting all those edge loops at the end of the barrel.
    (also not a fan of the diffuse of the wood vs. metal)

The ancient alarm I would also agree is your best piece, the wood and stone could use some highlights or just more variety of colour in the diffuse

double check that you have the right images attached to each thumbnail, the image showing off just the normal on the ancient alarm (the grey picture) links you to the flat maps instead, also I would label what the flat maps are, do you use spec, metalness, gloss, etc
  • MGHMahoney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGHMahoney polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for the tips Nosslak and CandyStripes05. I will work definitely on the points you suggested.