Home General Discussion

Laptop recommendations

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
Hey there. I know there's a load of theads on this topic but none of them seem to suit what I'm looking for.

I'm after a laptop to handle all the main stuff like 3ds max, zbrush, Photoshop, marmoset etc.

I would also like a touch screen as well.

Now I was wondering if there is one that can be used for sculpting in zbrush. I've seen a few such as the Lenovo yoga but they have interested graphics same with the surface pro range. Any recommendations?

I've been looking at the Lenovo y50 but I wasn't sure if a stylus can be used with the screen

Edit: I also don't want to be spending over £8/900 if possible

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's a huge difference between being touch screen and supporting pressure sensitivity like a Wacom tablet. Sounds like you want pressure sensitivity. What's your budget? The Microsoft Surfaces are probably the cheapest options that do drawing well, but they don't really have the GPU power for heavy scenes in Marmoset and Unreal Engine 4. It will work for those programs, but it'll be slower and less than ideal. If you want the best bang for your buck GPU power wise, you'll be looking at spending around $900 for a laptop with either a GTX 860M or 960M. But those won't have the pressure sensitivity for drawing, but there is one or two touch screen laptops in that price and spec range. I think I've seen a few rare laptops that have pressure sensitivity and a decent GPU, but they are crazy expensive.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn. Cheers for the response, I figured that might be the case. I am really tempted to go for a tablet because I don't do much work in engines, but marmoset would be used definitely. How do they handle 3dd max for modelling/unwrapping. I don't render in there
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody else have any recommendations or opinions?
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    the 2nd gen thinkpad yoga 12 is comparable to the surface pro 3 and the last gen thinkpad yoga 12 is comparable to the surface pro 2 in specs

. but the last gen thinkpad yoga 12 is a real minefield of QA and so you'll probably get horrible ghosting on the screen or digitizer deadzones or both. not sure about the 2nd gen

there are no laptops that have both a dedicated GPU and an active digitizer, so the surface pro line is probably the best you can do
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. Does anybody know how the sp3 handles marmoset or 3ds max?
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    When I started university i bought myself a Dell XPS 17 and it worked perfectly on my course. I still use it now, 4 years later, and it runs just as well. It might be a bit out of date now for Unreal and such but for the main programs i've encountered no problems.

Good luck with your choice!
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was looking into a deal xps. I'm drawn to something with touchscreen but I don't think they are compatible with a stylus and pressure sensitivity. I heard Microsoft are holding a conference in October. Might hang on to see if the surface pro 4 is mentioned, I'm really swaying towards one of these but it's just they have the intergrated gpu so I'm unsure how it'll handle marmoset :/