Home Technical Talk

PC for Maya Zbrush and Photoshop

TBD69
vertex
Offline / Send Message
TBD69 vertex
Hello Guys

I really need some advice on what machine I need for running Maya, Zbrush and Photoshop. It's mainly design work that I will be using it for.

Can I get a machine off the shelf or is it best to build one?? Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

My budget is up to £1000

Many thanks in advance

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd highly suggest http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc for suggestions if you want to build. You'll most likely want to favor CPU/RAM over a high end video card, though that really can't hurt either.

Here's my recent build, pretty happy with it. I already had my old displays, keyboard, mouse and an nVidia GT730, which is a budget card. But I needed it fast to replace a dead card and plan on something better later; though this thing does really well for $60. Motherboard is definitely overkill, but the bios is pretty slick with lots of options...
  • smilodon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also went with a Haswell 4790k build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ft3LTW.

I'm very happy with it, but I was in a hurry. If I could've waited, I probably would've held out until DDR4 memory had come down in price a little and gone with a skylake 6700k with 64GB of ram (or at least 32GB of ram as 16x2 for a future upgrade). Also, by Christmas, expect a much wider variety of M.2 hard drives, which just blow most standard SSDs out of the water. Finally, I never want to be the first penguin for PC parts, and I prefer to purchase products that have been on the market for a few months so they have an opportunity to correct bugs, and when I built my most recent machine Skylake had just been released.

So, if you're in a hurry on a budget, go with the 4790k. You will not be disappointed. However, if you've got a little more time and cash, I'd wait for a little while for the M.2 drives and better DDR4 to build a 6700k based machine.
  • TBD69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBD69 vertex
    Hi throttlekitty/smilodon

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have since been looking into it further and I have started to put something together.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You can see the setup here
    http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom/intel-haswell-custom-pc/step6.html
  • smilodon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a little confused because you suggested a budget of £1000, but then the build you've started is on pace for a fraction of that.

If your budget is £1000, than I'd certainly try to go with a quad-core processor (important for zbrush), and if at all possible you want at least 16GB of ram for decent modern zbrush performance, but ideally 32GB or 64GB if you can afford it.

I am not familiar with the processor you've chosen, but I usually point to the Xeon 1231 for a budget build. User benchmark has a great feature for comparing components.
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com
  • TBD69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBD69 vertex
    I beg your pardon - the link I attached sent you to the wrong page!

The set up I have started is as follows -

Computer Case
    Black ATX Tower Case
    CPU
    Intel i7 4790K - (4 x 4.0 GHZ) - Haswell
    CPU Heatsink
    Intel Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz (2x8GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
    Graphics Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 - 2 GB - (Zotac) - (PCI-E)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z97M-D3H (Intel Z97) - 4xUSB3/4xUSB2 (M-ATX)
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
    Wired Networking
    Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
    Power Supply
    Corsair 650W PSU - Low Noise
    CPU Compound
    Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
    Extra Case Fans
    Standard Fans Included With Case
    Hard Drive #1
    500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD SATA-III, Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s - Silent
    Hard Drive #2
    4 TB Seagate (4000 GB) SATA-III HDD 5900 RPM 64MB
    Free Gift
    FREE - 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
    Power Cable
    1 x 1.8 Metre UK Mains Power Cable
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    TBD69 wrote: »
    I beg your pardon - the link I attached sent you to the wrong page!

The set up I have started is as follows -

Computer Case
    Black ATX Tower Case
    CPU
    CPU Heatsink
    Intel Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise
    Memory
    Graphics Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 - 2 GB - (Zotac) - (PCI-E)
    Motherboard
    Sound Card
    Wired Networking
    Power Supply
    Corsair 650W PSU - Low Noise
    CPU Compound
    Extra Case Fans
    Hard Drive #1
    Hard Drive #2
    4 TB Seagate (4000 GB) SATA-III HDD 5900 RPM 64MB
    Free Gift
    FREE - 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
    Power Cable

Graphics card:
    I would go for something much stronger at least an 960 however I would 100% recommend a 970 here.

CPU Fan:
    If you are going for over-clocking I would go for an Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO here instead of stock cooler.

Power supply:
    Can you specify which Corsair power supply this is like model number of full name?

Hard Drive:
    4GB is very overkill unless you got some very large files in there. I had a 2TB hard drive for 4 years and did not even fill half of it.

Case:
    What black ATX case have you gone for? This is just about as specific as saying the size and the colour of the case but not the case name.
  • TBD69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBD69 vertex
    OK, I have tweeked things slightly.

I don't have any more details about the case or power supply unfortunately.

Here is the latest -

Computer Case
    Black ATX Tower Case

CPU

CPU Heatsink

Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 - Low Noise
    Memory

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 - 4 GB - (MSI) Twin Frozr V - (PCI-E) - (Free Metal Gear Solid V Game)
    Motherboard

Sound Card

Wired Networking

Power Supply

Corsair RM 650W (Modular) PSU - Low Noise/Silent
    CPU Compound

Extra Case Fans

Wireless Networking

Wireless Network Card 600Mbps (PCI-E)
    Hard Drive #1

Hard Drive #2

1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB

Power Cable
  • TBD69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBD69 vertex
    Sorry, this might be easier to read -

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Graphics Card : 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 - 4 GB - (MSI) Twin Frozr V - (PCI-E) -
    CPU Heatsink : 1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 - Low Noise
    Memory :
    1 x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz (2x8GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
    CPU Compound : 1 x Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
    Extra Case Fans : 1 x Standard Fans Included With Case
    Power Cable : 1 x 1 x 1.8 Metre UK Mains Power Cable
    CPU : 1 x Intel i7 4790K - (4 x 4.0 GHZ) - Haswell
    Motherboard : 1 x Gigabyte Z97M-D3H (Intel Z97) - 4xUSB3/4xUSB2 (M-ATX)
    Power Supply : 1 x Corsair RM 650W (Modular) PSU - Low Noise/Silent
    Hard Drive #1 : 1 x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD SATA-III, Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s - Silent
    Wireless Networking : 1 x Wireless Network Card 600Mbps (PCI-E)
    Hard Drive #2 : 1 x 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
    Wired Networking : 1 x Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
    Sound Card : 1 x Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
    Computer Case : 1 x Black ATX Tower Case
    [/FONT]
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure how much it will cost you over there in europe but since you are going M-ATX I would recommend changing your case to an actual M-ATX one. The Corsair Air 240 is one of the best out there.

In addition to that, if you go with the haswell-e lineup... which uses the x99 motherboards you can have access to ddr4 RAM, which is blazing fast. In that case it would be something like Intel i7 5820k 6core, x99m (m-atx, asrock, asus, evga have good options there also good motherboards), ADATA DDR4 (Adata is pretty competitive price wise). Additionally, I would recommend a closed loop cooling option. For affordability, the Silverstone Tundra td02-e/td03-e are good options (make sure its the -e version, for a bit more one can get the corsairs or NZXT, which are also good).
  • smilodon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I would stress is that, for a ZBrush machine, get as much ram as you can.

How much ram you've got defines how much detail you can have in a scene. When I had 16GB of ram, I could push about 12 million active points before things started to act strange. Now that I've got 32BG of ram, I can handle about 25 million active points.

One of the only regrets of my current build is that it only supports 32BG of ram, because I'd love to see what I could do with 64GB.

So, if this computer is specifically being built for ZBrush, don't skimp on the ram.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Going for a 5820k over the 4790K is a huge long discussion, about half of this thread is talking about it, http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2347798

Basically, going 5820k Haswell-E typically costs around $200 more (for the ram and motherboards) than going with the 4790K. The 4790K is better at tasks that only take advantage of 1-4 cores, the 5820k is better when you are doing tasks that can use all 6 cores. It's a toss up, and not worth the extra $200 in my personal opinion (this is coming from a guy with a Haswell-E processor in my main rig). But either option is a completely valid one.

Even though DDR4 ram is faster, it's not much of a bottle neck for most applications, so you don't really leverage it much. Typically more ram is more important than faster ram.

I'd suggest avoiding all-in-one liquid cooling. They do work well, and can keep temps and noise low. But they are expensive, and can fail. A $35 air CPU cooler is good enough to keep a 4790K cool, and quiet.
  • smilodon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with TBD69.

The 5820k is slightly faster for some of ZBrush's most computationally demanding applications, but it's more expensive and requires a more expensive motherboard as well.

When it's all added up, the 5820k should be slightly more bang for your buck related to multi-core tasks, but it's guaranteed to be substantially slower for single-core tasks, and all for a higher price point.

When I spec'd it all out, the 5820k was benchmarked to be about 12% faster than the 4790k for multicore tasks, but the 4790k was 16% faster for single-core tasks, and a 5820k build was about 15% more expensive. So, it's 15% more expensive for something that's 12% faster some of the time and 16% slower the rest of the time. In my opinion, the 4790k was the better choice.

But, the 6700k and the promise of 64GB of ram... that was very tempting.
  • TBD69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBD69 vertex
    Hi Guys

This is great - thanks so much.

I think I'll go with the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intel i7 4790K and bump up the RAM to 32GB.

Also, what about the Motherboard and Graphics card choices? Any good??

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Motherboard : 1 x Gigabyte Z97M-D3H (Intel Z97) - 4xUSB3/4xUSB2 (M-ATX)
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Graphics Card : 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 - 4 GB - (MSI) Twin Frozr V - (PCI-E)

Fans too - how many do I need?

[/FONT]
  • TBD69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBD69 vertex
    Hi Guys

I have made a couple more tweaks.

This is looking like the rig. Could you kindly advise if this is worth going for, bearing in mind the machine is primarily for high end Zbrush work along with Photoshop and basic Maya use.

Again, thanks in advance.
    Tom

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Graphics Card :
    1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 - 4 GB - (MSI) Twin Frozr V - (PCI-E)
    CPU Compound :
    1 x Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
    CPU Heatsink :
    1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 - Low Noise
    Extra Case Fans :
    1 x 120 MM Cooler Master Blue LED Fan - Max Fans Supported By Case - Price Per Fan
    Hard Drive #2 :
    1 x 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
    Memory :
    1 x 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz (4x8GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
    Power Cable :
    1 x 1 x 1.8 Metre UK Mains Power Cable
    CPU :
    1 x Intel i7 4790K - (4 x 4.0 GHZ) - Haswell
    Motherboard :
    1 x Gigabyte Z97M-D3H (Intel Z97) - 4xUSB3/4xUSB2 (M-ATX)
    Power Supply :
    1 x Corsair RM 650W (Modular) PSU - Low Noise/Silent
    Hard Drive #1 :
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD SATA-III, Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s - Silent
    Computer Case :
    1 x Corsair Carbide Series 200R
    Wireless Networking :
    1 x Wireless Network Card 600Mbps (PCI-E)
    Wired Networking :
    1 x Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
    Sound Card :
    1 x Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
    [/FONT]
  • smilodon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks good.

All I've got left is personal bias.

I prefer Asus to Gigabyte for motherboards because I believe them to have higher reliability, although I've been told that belief is unfounded. My rigs tend to last 10 or more years, so I've been sticking with them. I got a Z97-A, that's more of a personal preference than strictly based on fact.

Also, I don't trust Seagate hard drives for reliability. They're unquestionably cheaper for comparable features, but I've never seen Seagate ranked among the top few competitors for reliability. As far as I know, Western Digital and HGST seem to make the hard drives that are most dependable, for for my storage drive, that's very important to me.

But, overall, it looks like a good rig. I like the 950 evo,
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Downgrading your CPU for more ram doesn't make much sense.
  • smilodon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Downgrading your CPU for more ram doesn't make much sense.

You're probably right.

I was just looking at this list
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

And by that, it's a little faster than the 4790k, but checking Cinebench, and it's a lot slower on multi core.
    http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r15_multi_core-8

Or you can tack on an extra $120 to upgrade it to a 6700k, and it's not a 10% upgrade.