First attempt at sci-fi guns

Modeled in Maya, comped in Photoshop

sci-fi_gun_01.jpg

Replies

• C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    The model itself is hard to crit since the texture kinda destroys it all. It is waaaay to noisy and random.

May you show us the model without textures? High and low?

: )
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, I just have the High.

hirez_01.jpg
  • Remerbr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remerbr polycounter lvl 7
    Gotta say, this is some really good work. You have a strong understanding of mechanical detail and it is a fairly original design. I particularly like the shape of the handle and stock.

I do think C86G is right about the texture. While grime and scratches are great detail to have, they need to have the right placement. Dirt needs to be built up in the crevices and concave parts of the metal instead of spread along the surface. Scratches should mainly be on the convex parts of the gun and on the parts which will receive the most use or wear and tear. Think more about where the gun has been and how it is being used. Where would most of the damage be?

So like I said, great model. Texture needs a little bit of clean up. I'd love to see this fully realized. If you decide to make changes definitely update us. Also how many polys is this?
  • Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hey that looks pretty sweet! Some areas could do with some softening of the edges such as the bottom grip on the front part. The boxy parts on the front are a good basis for what you should avoid for edges. Especially if you're planning on modeling a low poly and baking textures for it! :)
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    The model itself looks pretty great! Good design and has a very real feel. You have to remember though that when in a game, edges will get very jagged and your textures will become even more noisy. Always accommodate with soft edges.
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried playing with some different colors, reflections and etc.
    What do u think?

sci_fi_gun_02.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    I don't know man, It looks really strange with the super rusty sci-fi stuff. It makes it seems like the advanced laser/plasma stuff wouldn't work in that condition. The high poly itself looks really good though.
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going for orange edges but It turned out rusty, so I decided to leave it and see how it going to look. But yes, I can do better. It doesn't look real enough.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    How about making it a bit more Mass Effect-y and use clean colours with little to no damage at all? Playing with whites and blacks could make the different parts way more readable.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    That background is ruining your piece for me big time. It makes everything look insanely noisy and disorganised.
  • nielsvaes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren wrote: »
    That background is ruining your piece for me big time. It makes everything look insanely noisy and disorganised.

Agree 100%. There's nothing wrong with just a simple grey or subtle gradient.
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice model but the textures and presentation are letting it down a little bit. C86G already mentioned going for a Mass Effect style colour scheme and here are a couple of examples of the colours used:

2974868-6018613550-mass-.jpg

mass-effect-2-concept-art-brian-sum.jpg
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    I agree with most of the comments, the topology and design are great. The textures and presentation are definitely holding this piece back. Try a more subtle texturing approach and a less busy BG and I think you're gun will look a lot better!
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, stay tuned for an update! Let's try ME style.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    i'll wait for the next update : )
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Remerbr wrote: »
    and it is a fairly original design. I particularly like the shape of the handle and stock.

You should send your compliments to the original artist :)

Always post or link a concept if used. This isn't your design and it feels like you're passing it off as your own.

Also, since the concept is right here, it seems you went for a more angular approach while the concept is much more organic with it's tan panels. The weapon as a whole could also be a bit wider.

eddie-mendoza-gundesignsaa.jpg?1437776035
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also just a side note! Tone down the photoshop effects and compositing for your presentation :p Here is, in my opinion the best character presentation I have ever seen. It has an aesthetic that is very attractive and appealing! Ideas like subtle particles, a simple vignette or gradient background, or a very subtle shadow that's cast by your model to get a sense of 3d space are things that you can do. I wouldn't do much more though!
    png[img][/img]
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also just a side note! Tone down the photoshop effects and compositing for your presentation :p Here is, in my opinion the best character presentation I have ever seen. It has an aesthetic that is very attractive and appealing! Ideas like subtle particles, a simple vignette or gradient background, or a very subtle shadow that's cast by your model to get a sense of 3d space are things that you can do. I wouldn't do much more though!
    NqNhcr5.jpg

Credit to Claudiu Tanasie
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So sorry for the spam. computer is freaking out, mods feel free to delete the ones without the attachment if you stumble onto this thread! Sorry again!
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Always post or link a concept if used. This isn't your design and it feels like you're passing it off as your own.

Will do next time.

An update. Although I will be honest. I don't like how this turned out. But I wonder what you think.

sci_fi_gun_03.jpg
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Looks much better! Presentation is a lot easier on the eye. I would maybe just knock back the vignette a bit, its quite dark at the moment. I'm not a big fan of having yellow, blue and red on it but that's just my personal preference :D Overall, I reckon it's a big improvement over the last shot you posted.
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better! what are you rendering in and can we see flats? the parts that are not painted should look more metallic than the parts that are painted metal
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I render out reflections, plastic reflections, flat colors, flat textures, shadow pass.

This are some of renders.

peacekeeper_01.61.jpg
    peacekeeper_01.62.jpg