Home General Discussion

What software do you guys prefer and why? Unity or UE4

Hello there,

I`m starting to learn by myself UE4 and Unity for VFX in games, I saw that both software's are pretty good and the tools of it are quite the same, but what is the ``plus`` in each of these 2 programs targeting this Particle system.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    UE4 has done some really cool stuff with GPU particles and distance fields in the last few months, it's definitely worth looking at.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    In terms of visual tech, I am really enjoying the graphical solutions that UE4 has to offer currently. Have felt that Unity was always one step behind in terms of drag and drop artistic quality.
  • escudero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ask myself why most of people, when we are talking about VFX, like more UE4 than the other software's.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    escudero wrote: »
    I ask myself why most of people, when we are talking about VFX, like more UE4 than the other software's.

UE4 has a fully integrated node based shader editor. Unity doesn't. This makes a huge difference when you're making FX as modern FX relies on custom shaders working together with the particle system.
  • Ispheria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    Back before Unreal 4, I always said that Unity is programmer friendly, while UDK was artist friendly. Now Unity is programmer friendly, while UE4 is everyone friendly. Everyone that has a decent computer at least.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    UE4 has a fully integrated node based shader editor. Unity doesn't. This makes a huge difference when you're making FX as modern FX relies on custom shaders working together with the particle system.

This, and Cascade (the UE4 particle effect editor) is way, way more capable than Shuriken (the Unity particle editor.)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like Unreal over Unity. Doing materials in Unreal is very very easy and it auto-updates the mats inside of Unreal when the imported textures are saved.

Unity just adds three layers of friction to almost everything, not to mention out of the box there isn't much there, so you're left cobbling together a functional toolbox from their store or building a lot of what comes standard in Unreal. But a lot of people use unity because it runs on two rocks and a paper clip, so it has that going for it.

Depending on how much epic actually focuses on stealing the mobile market-share, Unity could see that advantage start to erode.
  • escudero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys I really appreciate.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Cascade is ridiculously powerful from what I've used it for so far. Not to mention Unreal to me at least just seems way more optimized out of the box when it comes to upping the level of detail and FX. (Unity tends to die on me whenever I tried to push it further than relatively simple things, then again that was 4.0 so I'm not sure how improved 5.0 is)

I can't underestimate the power of Unreal's material system, thing's amazing.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    edit: oh, re: particles.

Shruriken isn't as good
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    merwynl polycounter lvl 8
    Unreal Engine 4 comes great and fully out of the box with very little tweaking needed to get excellent results. Unity is awesome for what it does and you can get very good results still but it frequently involves the use of third party plugin/packages, (Playmaker, Shader Forge, etc) to get the most out of the software.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    As an artist UE4 is just so much more welcoming, it's all laid out for you to learn, you just put in the time and the sky's the limit.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    UE4 is the obvious choice of the two if you aim to only do art related work, but for creating a full game, Unity is still quite a competitive product despite its shortcomings. For your purposes you'll probably want to start off with UE4. One thing to note is that both engines are very popular in the current job market and both engines also have popular asset stores. I would suggest trying to learn how to work with both eventually, since you will be able to advertise a larger skillset while making money off of both stores.
  • escudero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys think that UE4 is easier to learn (friendly) comparing to Unity?
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    escudero wrote: »
    You guys think that UE4 is easier to learn (friendly) comparing to Unity?

Game particle systems and fx are all very similar. 95% of the features are virtually identical. You can learn Unity, Unreal, Cryengine, whatever.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sticking to Unity. I've been leaning toward the technical side of things for some time now. So I view the engine I use as a tool for prototyping as opposed to a tool for showcasing high-polycount sculptures. If I was focused on producing high-end game art, I might change my tune.

But when it comes to rapid prototyping, I've had a very good experience with Unity. Just last week I cranked out a basic demo of gameplay meant to simulate the room movement from the original Legend of Zelda. Took me less than 8 hours. I was mainly just doing it on a lark, using it to test out a Tile tool I had cooked up earlier. But I was both surprised and pleased at how quick and easy it was to get the whole thing running.

I haven't done much with the particle system in Unity. Much more focused on gameplay basics as opposed to visuals.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    As other said Unity requires you to use a quagillion of midleware to do everything that Unreal does and it breaks frequently because, well, it's midleware. No built-in material editor for instance. Sure there's a very robust plugin for that but why is it not in from the get-go...? No built-in vertex painter either last time I checked, etc. I understand why Unity is popular but I think Unreal is the best choice in most case, at least from my perspective. I was forced to work on it for a while and hated every second of it..
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still kinda prefer Unity. It's just a bit nicer to use and the way things are set up makes more logical sense to me. But I'm very much more inclined to write code than deal with spaghetti nodes.

Unreal feels very clunky in comparison, even though it shouldn't have to.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    the guy after me put basically what i put before the edit but i'll summarise:

at simian squared we know unity about as well as it's possible to know unity and we've been considering unreal.

In short unity is a bit faster in the testing we've done, better for mobile. but when it comes to doing current generation stuff, it requires you to roll your own for mostly everything, or rely on middleware and therefore have to get them dancing together nice. Either way, there's a hidden cost and that's dev time.

Epic however are solving problems left right and center, they provide great editor tools, support and further development -- and you can get pretty far without having to do a great deal of the more arduous custom stuff. Unreal isn't without cost tho ofc, there's a continual payment to Epic in the form of a %.

Unreal's got more sorted out of the box, Unity is lighter but requires work.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
  • [Deleted User]
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I enjoy Unity, Unreal just never really sat right with me. And after seeing blueprint I fear most resources/tutorials will want to use that, where I can't stand that node based stuff.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Since the conversation has branched from particles to general use, I'll throw in my two cents.

UE4 has a powerful and stable material editor, particle editor, and visual scripting language that plays nicely with it's inherent programming language, which is C++. The engine is powerful, robust, scalable, and easy to iterate on.

Unity has nothing of the sort, unless you want to purchase additional plugins, which guarantees no stability. But it does have the easier twin of C++ which is C#. The engine is lightweight, simple, and fast to prototype with.

UE4 has a perfectly synced tangent base, and a standard one at that. Every model you bake with that standardized base will always shade correctly as a result. UE4 has an actual, real PBR system with a metallic workflow, a superior lighting solution (rather, 3-4 to chose from based on your project needs), and a scaleable graphics/rendering set-up for publishing to multiple platforms. They're breaking new ground with their depthmap based lighting, and it's clearly the future. Baking lights always takes forever, though.

Unity uses a magical fairy tangent base made of rainbow dust that never syncs, and no matter what additional steps you take to make it work your models will always shade wrong in some way. They don't have a real PBR system, they have a compromise for the old system so people's old projects wouldn't break. This comes at the cost of nearly all benefits have having a real PBR set up, so it's kind of a waste. There's nothing spectacular about their lighting solutions, but the real-time light baking is awesome for fast iteration. It's not a particularly robust solution otherwise, and they are not breaking new ground in that area.

UE4 is constantly making new features at a break-neck pace because they have an army of actual game-devs working to make the engine better for themselves AND everyone else, because they use it themselves. They are breaking new ground, making new software technology that the rest of the industry follows, and are staying on the cutting edge. Updating projects can be arduous, but it's mostly automated so that's nice. Their marketplace is curated, so you only find quality stuff in there, but the selection is relatively small on account of being pretty new. Importing new content can be a bit arduous, however.

Unity devs don't really make games. They made one years ago, and it was terrible. Lately they have been involved in the direct development of a few titles, though. Otherwise, it's a little tough for them to always gauge first hand the needs of devs. Their updates are moderately frequent, but rarely come with big new features. Their store has a lot of content, and is well established. Not all the content in their store is quality, however. Importing new content into Unity is about the easiest thing you can do in it.

UE4 sucks at 2d currently. Lots of missing features here.

Unity is ideal if you're making a 2d game. There's very little reason why you'd chose a different engine over Unity for a 2d game, unless Ubisoft were to release the UbiArt Framework. But that'll never happen.

To sum up, I think UE4 is a better engine for current gen games that are 3d, as you'll have many advantages that Unity can't offer you out of the box. People who by default say "UE4 is made for shooters, it's hard to make anything else" 100% has no idea what they're talking about, and hasn't used the engine for more than 15 mins. I'd kindly refer their attention to this list.
    Unity can run on a fried potato, it's programming language is easier, and it's got superior tools for 2d games.

While I think UE4 is better in most ways, it ultimately depends on your project needs.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Makkon wrote: »

Unity uses a magical fairy tangent base made of rainbow dust that never syncs, and no matter what additional steps you take to make it work your models will always shade wrong in some way. They don't have a real PBR system, they have a compromise for the old system so people's old projects wouldn't break. This comes at the cost of nearly all benefits have having a real PBR set up, so it's kind of a waste. There's nothing spectacular about their lighting solutions, but the real-time light baking is awesome for fast iteration. It's not a particularly robust solution otherwise, and they are not breaking new ground in that area.

To synch the tangent space for unity I've used the xnormal plugin that's mentioned here:

http://www.farfarer.com/blog/2012/06/12/unity3d-tangent-basis-plugin-xnormal/

And it seemed to work well for me.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I feel that I'm qualified to chime in here and say that although I haven't tested TS sync as extensively with Unity as I have with CE3 and UE4, I didn't notice any problems. I would of course prefer to bake everything in Mikktspace but at least it's possible to bake to the tangent space unlike Cryengine. I've heard of some occasional problems with the sync when using forward shading but that can be solved in the shader IIRC.

Honestly, Unity is a fine engine and I appreciate its general approach to rendering, even though I do wish that the engine looked a bit better out of the box.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    UE4 and Unity are the big ones. It's a good idea to learn the particle systems inside Max & Maya, a lot of game engines that aren't marketed to the hobbyist are extremely bare-bone, you'd be surprised the number of AAA games that don't even have a particle editor.
  • escudero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What`s the best place in your opinion to look for particle system tutorials (Unity and UE4)? Gumroad or something (I already saw the contents in Polycount, but I really prefer video tutorials).
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    ImbueFX has some pretty rad courses.
    http://www.imbuefx.com/
  • janpec1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janpec1000 polycounter lvl 7
    Since the conversation has branched from particles to general use, I'll throw in my two cents.

UE4 has a powerful and stable material editor, particle editor, and visual scripting language that plays nicely with it's inherent programming language, which is C++. The engine is powerful, robust, scalable, and easy to iterate on.

Unity has nothing of the sort, unless you want to purchase additional plugins, which guarantees no stability. But it does have the easier twin of C++ which is C#. The engine is lightweight, simple, and fast to prototype with.

UE4 has a perfectly synced tangent base, and a standard one at that. Every model you bake with that standardized base will always shade correctly as a result. UE4 has an actual, real PBR system with a metallic workflow, a superior lighting solution (rather, 3-4 to chose from based on your project needs), and a scaleable graphics/rendering set-up for publishing to multiple platforms. They're breaking new ground with their depthmap based lighting, and it's clearly the future. Baking lights always takes forever, though.

UE4 is constantly making new features at a break-neck pace because they have an army of actual game-devs working to make the engine better for themselves AND everyone else, because they use it themselves. They are breaking new ground, making new software technology that the rest of the industry follows, and are staying on the cutting edge. Updating projects can be arduous, but it's mostly automated so that's nice. Their marketplace is curated, so you only find quality stuff in there, but the selection is relatively small on account of being pretty new. Importing new content can be a bit arduous, however.

Unity devs don't really make games. They made one years ago, and it was terrible. Lately they have been involved in the direct development of a few titles, though. Otherwise, it's a little tough for them to always gauge first hand the needs of devs. Their updates are moderately frequent, but rarely come with big new features. Their store has a lot of content, and is well established. Not all the content in their store is quality, however. Importing new content into Unity is about the easiest thing you can do in it.

UE4 sucks at 2d currently. Lots of missing features here.

Unity is ideal if you're making a 2d game. There's very little reason why you'd chose a different engine over Unity for a 2d game, unless Ubisoft were to release the UbiArt Framework. But that'll never happen.

To sum up, I think UE4 is a better engine for current gen games that are 3d, as you'll have many advantages that Unity can't offer you out of the box. People who by default say "UE4 is made for shooters, it's hard to make anything else" 100% has no idea what they're talking about, and hasn't used the engine for more than 15 mins. I'd kindly refer their attention to this list.
    Unity can run on a fried potato, it's programming language is easier, and it's got superior tools for 2d games.

While I think UE4 is better in most ways, it ultimately depends on your project needs.

Couldnt agree more. Up to the point. Since the thread was about asking which software you preffer for art display use, this sum up makes good points.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12

There's very little reason why you'd chose a different engine over Unity for a 2d game,

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThWH7pUn4Rk[/ame]

PS: Be careful about CryEngine

A friend...
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    TAN wrote: »

It's too bad that even if you make a simple 2d game in UE4. Your shipped/deployed game will be around 300 megabytes. Even cooked for mobile games you're talking about around 90 megabytes minimum no matter how simple.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    TAN, showing a 2d pixel game made in Unreal doesn't convince anyone that it's a better engine for 2d.

Here, let me show you my example:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cklw-Yu3moE[/ame]
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    It's too bad that even if you make a simple 2d game in UE4. Your shipped/deployed game will be around 300 megabytes. Even cooked for mobile games you're talking about around 90 megabytes minimum no matter how simple.
    I beg to differ, man.
    I managed to get less than half that on my very first UE4 game.
    If I remember right, the Tappy Chicken project is only like 23mb.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    TAN, showing a 2d pixel game made in Unreal doesn't convince anyone that it's a better engine for 2d.

Here, let me show you my example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cklw-Yu3moE

I didn't claim anything let alone being "better". I just wanted to show that there are options if he/she wishes to try out, even just for the sake of learning/camparison. Gee... :)