Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My very first game asset. Let me know your thoughts :)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Freemad polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone!

That's my first post on here.

I've worked on film and TV for a good few years now, but in terms of games I'm a complete beginner. I've seen what can be achieved in realtime and that made me explore the games pipeline.

It's the first time I use Quixel and Unreal Engine as well and I love what results can be achieved in Quixel and how easy. In UE4 I only plugged my textures to a standard material as I do not know to do anything else yet.

Here's is my very first game asset :) Please do let me know what do you think!

Highres_Screenshot00001.png

screen01.png

screen02.png

Maps.jpg

Model.jpg

I am going to produce a little game environment based on this concept I found on DeviantArt from an artist called Samarskiy.

http://samarskiy.deviantart.com/art/Rum-factory-concept-252661044

Will be posting my WIP on here. Any feedback is welcome!

Replies

• james01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For first asset its quite good.
    Things I noticed:
    Top of the barrel should be welded to the rest of the barrel. If it isn't it may cause flickering issues in certain engines.
    Beveling on the ends of the low poly model is not really necessary if you do a high poly bake correctly.
    Looks like some smoothing group issues near the bottom, or maybe thats just the max viewport?
    UV's that are bent can be manually straightened, it will maximize uv space and will be easier to texture.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    looks pretty good for the start, just dont put the text into the normal that doent make sense
    Try doing a roughness + metalness map next for the model now where you have a diffuse and normal (the diffuse may need some changes tho like way darker metal aside on the rusty places)
  • Freemad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I've attached the metallic and roughness maps as well.

[SKETCHFAB]479d99efca034c42bd66e60545c31a33[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Freemad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello.

I've been pretty busy since I did my last post, but managed to make some progress over the weekend and I thought I would share it with you guys :)

I textured the door and I've got the model of the rum factory pretty much done. I would like to add a few more bits to it such as a gate for the fence and make some environment around the factory.

Door_Wireframe.jpg

screen01_2.png

Model_Preview_01.jpg

Model_Preview_02.jpg

Model_Preview_03.jpg

Model_Preview_04.jpg

Any feedback's welcome.

Cheers
  • Freemad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what I've got so far in Marmoset Viewer

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rum-factory

I'm currently building a little environment around the factory in Unreal 4 and will post the final piece once it's done.

C&C welcome, cheers :)
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    There are some scale issues, particularly the barrel, but also the big tank and the leaded windows could be looked at too.

I would also try to stagger the roof shingles, and since you have spent so much geometry on them you might as well have them overlap the wooden beams on the end to add to the silhouette.
  • Freemad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey m4dcow, cheers for the feedback mate, I'll look at the stuff mentioned! ;)
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    I would suggest trying to keep a consistent polycount for details: the door in particular stands out to me since the door knocker seems to have way more polies than the door itself (so I'd suggest lowering the polycount on the knocker) think about how closely anyone will be looking at something and whether poly details are justified or not.

There's quite a lot of wasted polies as far as I can see too - for game assets you want to avoid that as much as possible so that you squeeze the most you can out of detail limits. For other examples in your scene, the bar that hold the pub sign has a lot of wasted polies on its top side - weld all of those to the base loop; while the edge of the doorframe probably has one chamfering loop too many (usually one chamfered edge will break up a hard edge enough).

Oh and for the chain on the hanging shop sign I'd suggest using 2D planes that you apply transparency PNGs to.

You obviously know what you're doing, it's just a question of learning how to be efficient. Hopefully that isn't too much of a wall of text for you!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    The House will look nice after your Handpainted Textures Work ^^
  • Freemad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiya.

Here's a few more images of WIP. I've adjusted some stuff following the feedback I received so far.

Let me know what do you think ;)