Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Photoscanned Fruits and Vegetables

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
mikolajspy polycounter lvl 7
Hi there!
I started working on fruits and vegetables recreated using photogrammetry based on real life objects :)
All will have 5k tris with LOD stages and 4k PBR textures.
I've scanned over 20 fruits and vegetables in total (some are the same type but variation), and I'll end up with probably 25 or something like it.
I'll submit those asset to Unreal Marketplace :)

Let me know what you think ;)
Soon I'll upload them on my Sketchfab, here are screens of few processed ones:
iqz0MwG.png
Zeotbxu.png

Replies

• Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Look good, 5k triangles is a huge amount for something so small. They would work in an arch vis situation but anything bigger than that and they would need to be optimized.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Paulod wrote: »
    Look good, 5k triangles is a huge amount for something so small. They would work in an arch vis situation but anything bigger than that and they would need to be optimized.

they got LODs so i guess this should be fine :)
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    I did photoscan a lemon not long ago.
    How do you manage having all the sides captured ? You obviously cannot just lay the fruit on the ground.
    I was running the fruit through a metal spike (since metal is reflective it wasn't captured on the scan) Results were not so good, I did damage the fruit a bit during the process :p
  • mikolajspy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    I guess with LODs down to few hundred it should have good balance between quality nad performance, I'm aiming for next-gen and arch vis :)

@Sebvhe I won't reveal too much, artists's secrets :) It's been hours of experimenting, testing and practice, finally I ended up with semi-professional home photography studio, maybe I'll explain the process in details one day :)
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    5k tris and 4k textures for a fruit seems BANANAS to me.

(Good right?)
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    I was taking the fact he has LOD's into account with my comment.

LOD's are great sure but next gen 5K is WAY too much for a single fruit - jees, its to much fora fruit bowl with fruit. Even with LOD's. I could easily see these cut down to a few hundred tris at the most in the high detail mesh.

Give it a go and see what you get? Its good practice for sure.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16

LOD's are great sure but next gen 5K is WAY too much for a single fruit - jees, its to much fora fruit bowl with fruit. Even with LOD's. I could easily see these cut down to a few hundred tris at the most in the high detail mesh.

5k for a bowl of fruit isnt excessive on PC though :) And i would rather have dense meshes with highres textures that you can pull down in a minute yourself instead of having some blocky fruits with blurry textures. How else can my fruitsalad cinematic be nextgen :D
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Snefer wrote: »
    5k for a bowl of fruit isnt excessive on PC though :) And i would rather have dense meshes with highres textures that you can pull down in a minute yourself instead of having some blocky fruits with blurry textures. How else can my fruitsalad cinematic be nextgen :D

Good point for marketplace meshes. Do you get the FBX files when you purchase something from the market place? I guess you can just export it from UE4.

Either way, Have at it!
  • mikolajspy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't resist and made a test of performance, I've randomely spawned 2000 instances without LODs currently, so it was around 10 000 000 in total, with dynamic lighting and physics, and with GTX 970 I've got more that 20 FPS when moving and 50-60 on still :D So it should fit perfectly in Arch Viz or next-gen, and as you mentioned, you can export mesh and/or texture and always downscale it :) I'll also make tests with LODs ;)
    EdzIDl2.png

Here is update, some fruits/vegetables will have cut halves :)
    YD8lRG8.png
    Sy7xzKl.png
    zzp8urO.png
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Sebvhe wrote: »
    I did photoscan a lemon not long ago.
    How do you manage having all the sides captured ? You obviously cannot just lay the fruit on the ground.
    I was running the fruit through a metal spike (since metal is reflective it wasn't captured on the scan) Results were not so good, I did damage the fruit a bit during the process :p

You can just mount it in a long nail sticking out of a board leaving only a small area to clean up.
  • mikolajspy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll probably explain my workflow some time in future, currently it's too uniqe to share :)
    Anyway, update with more fruits and vegetables, almost 20 done :D

UX3Izqr.png
  • mikolajspy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    25 models so far, I'm aiming for 30-35 :)
    8uhiHv2.png
    Kc4eYgD.png
    ITgasLG.png
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    The Update is nice ^^
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    This is sweet !

You should maybe make the pineapple leaves from scratch, it will not take long and look much better.
    Furthermore I wonder if some of the fruit could use a little SSS to enhance their "fleshy" look.
    Just my 2 cent here but I feel the lemon and orange shader could be improved, it still is a bit fake.
  • mikolajspy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    Yes I'll make pineapple leaves by hand, scan didn't catched them clearly.
    Subsurface was great idea, I added it to some fruits :)
    It still WIP, I'll be correcting everything later.

Here is another update: more vegetables and apples :)
    In the end will be 35 models, there are only few more left, and I think I'll submit them to Unreal Marketplace for 50$
    fdhMSp2.png
    VOA2Mh7.png
    QkzMlLH.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The textures and materials need some work. They look like photo scans. The coconut shell should look rougher and a bit more fuzzy. Some of the fruit could use some translucency or sub surface scattering. A lot of the fruit just looks like it needs more roughness variation.
  • Har
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Har polycounter lvl 3
    ZacD wrote: »
    The textures and materials need some work. They look like photo scans. The coconut shell should look rougher and a bit more fuzzy. Some of the fruit could use some translucency or sub surface scattering. A lot of the fruit just looks like it needs more roughness variation.

I think the textures are actually photos scans as the thread title says it :).
    4K textures for one fruit piece or for the sliced up parts as well? That's some next next gen fruit you got there.

The sliced up parts could use some more gloss I think, they look a little dried out now.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but an Xbone/PS4 absolutely could handle 5k triangle fruit, especially in a fully deferred single geometry pass engine like UE4.

It's probably a little excessive for some games, you wouldn't want that in an open world game. But 1k+ triangles for small props is certainly not out of the question at all, especially with good LODs.
  • mikolajspy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZacD - Yup, they're photo scans, I'm aiming for photorealistic look, and what's more real than real object? :) Some of the fruits already have subsurface scattering. I'll make proper roughness maps.
    @Har - Yes, 4k for full fruit and another 4k for sliced part :)
    @FreneticPonies - I guess if you put them on bowl in kitchen it won't make significant impact on performace. Pack will also include ~1k tris models for use in more numbers. 5k will be great for cinematic use or close up ArchVis ;)

Pack for UE4 is close to finish :D
    I still have to redo pineaplle leaves and do some more things. In total have 34 models

tq68Hjc.png
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about... It's probably a little excessive for some games...

It seems like you do though? :poly124:

Anyway; these look great! Could you post up the 1k versions, too? I'd love to see them and see the difference between the versions...

Keep it up!
  • Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    You can just mount it in a long nail sticking out of a board leaving only a small area to clean up.

OR, just make the fruit float with string/s using some of that movie magic.

With bigger fruits you need more support, use needles or poke a hole through and use clear plastic rod etc creative. Photoshop away stuff you don't need.

Alternate method with significantly less photoshopping but more gear would be to drop the fruit and use flash and remote trigger(s) to capture the fruit in mid fall. You can look around for still shot tutorials for capturing splashing water for example for a setup tutorial. You might also get away with sufficient lighting - result might have some blurring though. Drop the fruit multiple times with quick flash trigger/low exposure until happy with the coverage. Multiple camera setups might save some time, although would be expensive as hell. Also don't forget to cushion the landing or you'll end up bruising the fruit.

That's at least how I would do it. :thumbup: