Home General Discussion

Feeling guilty while living at home but working on becoming a better artist.

Hey guys. I'm feeling a little down this evening regarding living with my parents while working on becoming a better artist and not really earning any source of income doing so.

I am 19 years old and I have recently dropped out of my first year of University in May where I was studying Game design. In my opinion those courses are designed for the complete beginner who knows absolutely nothing about the development process of games/art and I found it rather demoralizing as I wasn't being challenged enough at my skill-set. While attending - it was drilled into our heads that when it comes to getting a job the degree we will receive at the end of the course is more or less useless and that our portfolios are all that matter. It made me question why the hell I was going into debt for this.

I aspire to be a 3d Environment/prop artist and am now living at home. My plan right now is to build up a portfolio of my best work and with some luck be picked up by a studio - or do some freelance jobs.

I know that my art is very close to be being good enough for studios to be interested in it so I have been dedicating myself to work on my skills week in, week out since I dropped out (which I have been doing).

The problem with this is that I feel really guilty sometimes that I just basically stay inside and work on stuff everyday (although I do go out). Although I'm being really productive - I feel like I should be contributing to something and earning some money elsewhere.

I guess what I'm trying to do with this post is try and reach out and relate to other people who are in a similar position. Dropping out of uni can be very daunting but I do believe it is just unnecessary when aspiring to be a 3d artist.

Anyone else feel the same/in the same position? Or has a day job and does exactly the same as I do? Just wondering if it would effect productivity - Although I just feel like I need to do something else than work on this day in day out.

Thanks.

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    A few things you can do to help.

1. Help around the house. Cleaning, cooking, walking the dog. You name it.
    2. Look for part-time job. It doesn't have to be great. Instead, the more you hate it, the more you will work harder on your arts. Just, don't get stressed out or depressed from it...
    3. Make more art stuff. And show them to the world. Get ArtStation account. Put stuff on it. Get on Facebook and join artists community like Artists Old n New, and Ten Thousands Hours, and a few others.

There are more than enough free/cheap resources online to be good 3d artists (character and envo). No reason to be in debt over it if you can do the same on your own.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    It never hurts to diversify. It's a tough industry and you'll most likely be competing with people older and with more experience than you, the worst thing you can do is go along thinking it's a sure shot. You may even decide a few years down the road this isn't what you wanted. So while I don't really see a problem with banging out art at home, especially at your age, it's also important to keep an open mind about your future.
  • Nheerph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

I guess thats one of my fears that after nearly 3 years of dedicating myself to getting better at a specific art form that I will wake up one day and loose all interest in what Im doing after all the hours I have put into it.

Although I have learnt alot already and only good can come from that.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Help around the house and get a part-time job. Don't give no lip and just take care of business. Anything to help and show appreciation for them letting you live there to sort things out.
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I am in an similar position at the moment so I know that living with someone without the means to contribute anything other than doing menial tasks is not fun. Especially when you are at an age where people expect you to begin to settle down and truly start your "adult life". Unless your parents explicitly tells you to get a job I would not do it, the kinds of jobs you can get without a degree are often mind numbing, tiresome and creatively destructive.

I think it kinda boils down to how your parents see your situation, if they begrudgingly agree to let you live there until you "sort your shit out" or if they know that you are putting precious time towards getting a job that requires just that - time and experience. It is, however, not a venture you can peruse indefinitely so just make sure that you have an overarching plan that has things like a date when you should have a job etc.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    It's a convenient moment for you to practise and learn what you'll need to do when living alone.
    Can you survive on your own cooking, wash your own clothes etc? The more experience you obtain in these things, the easier it'll be to live alone later.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I was around 17/18 and I was doing the same thing, then again for some months when I finally finished university at around age 22?. Don't feel bad about living at home. Like others have said, appreciate the time you have with your family. Helping out around the house seems like a weird suggestion but it helps. I would hardly ever leave the house, I'd play games and work on my art.

Being motivated and driven will help you lots. It's what is so useful about going to college/uni is that you're made to follow deadlines. Be sure about what it is you want to do and understand how to get there. I pretty much did that and I paid off all of my student debt.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Don't worry man, so many people study until they are 25 or older, youre 19 theres nothing to feel bad about. Staying at home and Not being productive, that would be a different story, but if you are getting so close now, then theres no reason to stop. Many people dont get that chance, so use it.
    Also you can do some sport, its important for you and you dont feel half as bad sitting at home so often, without going to the gym once in a week or so Id be going crazy too
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Helping out around the house is good.

I would advise against getting a part time job unless you absolutely have to though. I tried this, and it drained me much more than I thought it would.

I would advise you to try and set normal hours to work on portfolio work. Set your alarm clock, get up at a regular time and get in a routine. Work for 8 hours and then chill/play games/get out at night.

Don't stay up late. Get to bed at a decent time and get up the next morning and do it again.

Try and make it a regular routine.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Kinda as Tobbo mentioned, I don't know your parents but I'm sure they would do anything for you if they knew it helped your future, so keep a schedule and show dedication to your studying, If they only see you sleeping in the bed during the time they are home from work they might get afraid that you are not taking it seriously and rather because of money they will try to get you to leave home becauset they think it would help you.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    You can consider these alternatives until(and maybe after(that is, if legally possible)) you get a job as well: Unreal Marketplace, Dota 2/ Team Fortress 2 Workshop, Turbosquid etc. Just make your research and determine if the experience would be useful for you. If you can make money as well, that would be helpful too.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I haven't read the other posts except for OP so something similar may have been said.

Anyways, we just hired a 19 year old as a weapons artist the other week. He decided not to go to school for art and just worked on his work at home every day for a set number of hours.

Just keep truckin' on with your portfolio! Don't feel bad about not earning money elsewhere if you don't have to. Sounds like you're fortunate to be in your position, so I would say take full advantage of it while you can!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Man I lived at home all through school and 1 year of marriage while we could gather up enough money to move. Im 30 now so it was only 3 years ago lol
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    This goes beyond the gaming industry. Kids are living with their parents alot longer than they used to be. I've heard 24 is the average? Life is alot more expensive now, you have to pay for cell phones, internet, expenses that you didn't have before.
    I was in your same situation but a teacher gave me some advice that helped alot. He told me not to be in a rush to move out, if your parents are fine with supporting you on this journey accept the gift you have been given and make the most of it. For me that realization gave me the extra motivation to put in the work required and never loose faith. It's a blessing to have such awesome parents and the best way to repay them is to live your dream!I would say the fact that you are even having these feelings is a sign that you are not the kind of person to take advantage of people and be lazy just because you can.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Anyways, we just hired a 19 year old as a weapons artist the other week. He decided not to go to school for art and just worked on his work at home every day for a set number of hours.

Dang,sounds like my clone (19,started working the other week,except I'm on environments) :D
    you're 19 there's nothing to feel bad about.

Well it depends on the parents situation sometimes.What I would suggest is a serious discussion with your parents just to make them understand a little bit more what you are doing and why you are doing it and love doing it .

Parents don't always understand all these new jobs,and what i did to reassure mines was just as simple as this :

"See all these years i need to spend at school learning 3D ? I would like to spend them (or just a portion of them) at home helping whenever i can and educating myself.

It might sound crazy but there are in my opinion enough good tutorials/courses on the internet to teach me what i want to learn and even more.I know many senior artists in my domain that never get to college to learn 3D,and while i can't guarantee you that I'm going to be as successful as these monsters,i know hard work always pays out and I'm ready to do whatever i can to break into the industry."

They understood that i really wanted to learn at home and based on how I am generally speaking (read not a yolo swag faggot here) they trusted me and now I've just started working in the industry as a freelance 3D Artist,like really just a few days ago.

It all comes down to how receptive your parents are to the idea of not having the almighty degree,the term gaming (i tend to say 3D,3D modeling or visual effects,not games.Parents don't always love that word) and your personality toward them and your environment.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I did this for a while. Get a part time job and help pay some bills. I guarantee you are not working as hard as you think you are. You absolutely can do both.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Took me a year and a half to get a job. don't feel bad
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    LRoy wrote: »
    I did this for a while. Get a part time job and help pay some bills. I guarantee you are not working as hard as you think you are. You absolutely can do both.

every person has a different amount of stamina. Some people can sleep 5-6 hours a day, some need 8 at least. It's a fact of life. So you have to do with resources (stamina in this case) available and some people can't handle studying and working at the same time. The work would just hinder their progress and they will accomplish nothing.

But some people can do both.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    dzibarik wrote: »
    every person has a different amount of stamina. Some people can sleep 5-6 hours a day, some need 8 at least. It's a fact of life. So you have to do with resources (stamina in this case) available and some people can't handle studying and working at the same time. The work would just hinder their progress and they will accomplish nothing.

But some people can do both.

you can train yourself to do this it should never be an excuse , making it your daily routine helps a lot. lets say you work 8 hours and sleep 8 hours take 4 hours for food and other business that still gives you a solid 4 hours on a daily basis to work on art
  • ferrettank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ferrettank polycounter lvl 2
    Ah yes, if you do get a part time job, I would try to look for something that would compliment your 3D art skills such as a Graphic Designer. That way you are still learning about colors and compositions, plus you can support yourself a bit better. That is what I did till the 3D jobs started coming in.

Don't worry, you are not alone with the school issue. Many people have faced that issue (including me).
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Watch these 2 videos and get inspired! https://vimeo.com/84022735 and https://vimeo.com/87448006

I would say to not worry so much about living with your parents house, but do talk with them about what you have in mind and what your goal is, explain it as best as you can.