Home Technical Talk

Does quad draw (Maya) require a decent graphics card?

So, I have a radeon HD 6700m 1 GB vram (HP laptop); my question is, is this enough for quad draw to work well? I seem to always get bad results from normal maps, and when laying down polygons with quad draw, the polygons do not sit on the surface on the mesh, they sink into the mesh and are hard to see.

Replies

• SwdPwnzDggr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SwdPwnzDggr polycounter lvl 7
    That is because the points you are laying are hitting right on the surface. So if there is any curvature to your mesh the line being drawn between them is literally going through the mesh. You can change visibility settings and stuff inside of Maya.

Changing your cameras FoV to a lower number and the Near Clip Plane to something like .001 will help make the lines more visible as well. You can also try to make the mesh you are drawing on semi transparent which might help.

As for normal maps we would need more info as to how you are baking to see why you are getting issues. Quad drawing to retop a mesh won't be giving you issues on its own.
  • DataDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the near clip plane to .001, and it really made a difference; it was originally at .1

And for my normal maps; I think I will do a few small experiments and upload them to a thread to get some perspective on that matter. In viewport 2.0, it renders the normal map's crevices as a fairly deep black; however, in the legacy high quality viewport, things look more like I would desire. I do have quite a bit of detail considering how low res my mesh is, so perhaps that's the problem.

Thank you very much for your input.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    something that might help is to export your model from zbrush at a bigger size. If you're using a tiny clipping plane size it probably means your mesh is smaller than 1 unit in size.

To export subtools from zbrush bigger than one unit you need to go to the 'Export' menu on the right hand side. There you'll find a slider that says 'scale' - this is at 1 by default. I'd set it up to a bigger number - I often use 100.

Now when you see your model in maya it'll be much bigger. This might also fix your baking problems as tiny models can cause problems with AO baking in maya.