Home General Discussion

Houdini training, what would you like to see?

[Deleted User]
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
Hello everybody.

I'm preparing my own training site and I'm curious:
1. Would you be interested in some Houdini + Houdini Engine training + Unity/UE4?
2. What would you like to see covered?

I do have plan for 3 courses with topics that I would like to cover point by point already mostly bookmarked, which I will probably start recording in next couple weeks, plus 3 other ideas where I'm slowly building list of topics to cover (one of them will be aimed at usage in realtime engines).

But I'm also open to suggestions.

Soo... what you would like to see?

Replies

• Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Procedural modeling and how to handle big scenes (like a procedural environment) would be great !

I have started learning Houdini a few months ago and would really like to see more tutorials geared toward the game industry.

After seeing how Substance Designer 5 could revolutionize the procedural workflow of artists,i can only imagine how great it would be if people had proper Houdini tutorials.

Good luck !
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Short effects courses that takes it all the way to rendering nice result.

There are just so many effects course out there either doesn't render so we're stuck with viewport preview, or end up with real horrible renders which are real demotivating.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DireWolf wrote: »
    Short effects courses that takes it all the way to rendering nice result.

You mean rendering effects for realtime engines or standard Mantra rendering?
    Fansub wrote: »
    Good luck !

Thanks!
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    One thing I'd be interested in regarding procedural modeling - how to use procedural modeling without sacrificing ambient occlusion maps. Most procedural modeling examples using Houdini that I've seen don't try to include ambient occlusion information in the resulting textures, which is problematic.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean standard Mantra. Creating comp-ready elements so to speak.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would think that a good subject would be ... anything that has been used first hand, in production, by the tutor recording the video.

Many of us have zero experience in this tool, therefore it is hard for us to give any pointers as to what we would like to see. For instance, I am personally very interested in procedural modeling in general, but I also know that if I were to learn about it and how it's done in Houdini in particular I would only want to learn it from field-tested practical examples and not just "in theory".

I hope this makes sense !

In other words ... just record something on the topics that *yourself* find to be the most useful :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    In other words ... just record something on the topics that *yourself* find to be the most useful :)

The poll gives me possibility to look at what topics I shouldn't look at. HEngine + Cinema4d didn't get any votes, so while it seems like interesting direction, I will not even bother with checking that route.

But I wanted to also see if there is any interest in standard 3d things, like modeling and rigging.

And on top of it, once I know which topics people are interested in, I can think what they would need to have covered before they will be able to even get into interesting them topic, and prepare better training.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh cool im been looking into Houdini, lots of intresting stuff. I would love to see the dynamics into particle systems in Unreal. If there is anu tool to setup flipbooks and such.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    But I wanted to also see if there is any interest in standard 3d things, like modeling and rigging

That's my point precisely - someone not familiar with a given program cannot really tell you anything about what to cover. To take modeling as an example, since it is indeed a standard, cross-application topic : a user of Max/Maya might be able to tell you that he/she is curious about the potential benefits of the Houdini modeling toolset ... but that's about it. From there it would be up to the tutor to show what kind of new, innovative concept the program can bring to the table.

However if this area in particular turns out to be nothing special compared to the other solutions out there, then indeed it would be better to spend time on other topics.

That's the core of what I am trying to say really - it would be a shame to spend precious resources on a topic that doesn't deserve it, just because of the results of a mere poll. That being said, I did vote for procedural modeling :)

Lastly : Houdini+Cinema4d didn't get any votes, because there is a very low user base for these programs here. However, if someone put together an awesome video about something that only this combination of software can achieve, then it would get traction anyways ; so if you think that it is indeed an interesting topic I'd say go for it regardless ! It's a bit like that Henry Ford quote about faster horses :)
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Visceral wrote: »
    Oh cool im been looking into Houdini, lots of intresting stuff. I would love to see the dynamics into particle systems in Unreal. If there is anu tool to setup flipbooks and such.

Side Effects should have made videos on how to do these things a year ago.

There is already an asset, available for free, to write out vector fields from Houdini to UE4. if you want to make flip books use the mosaic COP. These are confusing things for an absolute beginner but once you've spent some time in Houdini you will be able to handle these things no problem.

I voted for procedural modeling videos. There is very little information on this topic beyond absolute beginner tutorials. Procedural modeling of landscapes is something that is gaining traction and acceptance thanks to tools like World Machine. So that might be an interesting place to start. Houdini has much more robust technology for procedural terrain modeling than World Machine does, it just requires more assembly unfortunately.

Oh and for a rigging video, it would be amazing to include some method of skinning decomposition. That would really show a reason to use Houdini over other packages for that particular task. To my knowledge no other package contains an off the shelf, ready to use tool for scattered interpolation.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    pior wrote: »

Lastly : Houdini+Cinema4d didn't get any votes, because there is a very low user base for these programs here. However, if someone put together an awesome video about something that only this combination of software can achieve, then it would get traction anyways ; so if you think that it is indeed an interesting topic I'd say go for it regardless ! It's a bit like that Henry Ford quote about faster horses :)

Well, I think it's because they announced a public beta of the Houdini Engine on June 22, so it's a new thing and very few people actually used it, If I remember correctly, Maya's version was release last year.

Techniques can be ported though, as long as you build the working stuff in Houdini, the "Engine" part should be easier to understand, unless I misunderstood the plugin nature of the Houdini Engine.
  • aleksandr.kili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aleksandr.kili polycounter lvl 4
    I'd love to see general sop solver and vop things, just useful little systems that you can build and use often. Tough to think of exactly what that may entail but interesting color growth, forces etc. Something between the difficulty of building flocking systems and the easiness of adding color noise. Intermediate.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really surprised that Houdini Engine + Unity got so low vote count. You don't like Unity?
    I'm sure that Unity forums will tell different story, but it's really surprising that only one person is interested in Unity.
  • Jonathan_AV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan_AV polycounter lvl 6
    Particle Effects/VFX + UE4 workflow!
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    mantragora wrote: »
    I'm really surprised that Houdini Engine + Unity got so low vote count. You don't like Unity?
    I'm sure that Unity forums will tell different story, but it's really surprising that only one person is interested in Unity.

Gametutor has some great Unity+Houdini Engine specific tutorials already. There is nothing like that for UE4 yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel wrote: »
    Gametutor has some great Unity+Houdini Engine specific tutorials already. There is nothing like that for UE4 yet.

I have nothing against their courses about Unity, but the Houdini part is not something I would call 'really good'.

Just saying :)
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Yes the visuals are simplistic. But they are the only ones showing how to integrate an HDA into the engine control it natively. Thats the good part I am referring to.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those of you who are interested in Houdini training, follow nodeway which I created specifically for announcing tutorials.

zskhvw5esbeujs2zg.jpg?size_id=5