Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mandrin's thread !

Hi everybody, this is my very firs thread on the forum, my name is Mandrin and I went here to show you my last project I did it on my spare time, It is a 3D modeling of Tank Girl, I am coming close to the end of the modeling process, So I guess it is the good moment to show it before I start to unwrap Uv's for the texturing part. To get comments, critiques and advices on the modeling and maybe change some things before a long UV session.

Here are my references, I mainly used the drawings of Brett Parson (Blitzcadet) because I really love his drawing style, but also some others littles pics here and there just to get a general idea about the character.

372186refsjpg

And here is the model, the girl and the weapons were modeled using Maya only.

3517143viewsjpg

541009closeupalljpg

242892closeupfacejpg

714096weaponjpg

115856closeupweaponjpg

I hope you will like it. Comments and critiques are very welcome !
Thank you and good bye !

Replies

• Mandrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ! I just started texturing, so this is my first test of texturing/shading, It's real time for the moment, and It's not finished, textures were made using Photoshop.
    C & C are Very welcome !

230418shadinglunettes.png
  • flipside8404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how much of a critique I can give you as I am still struggling on learning how to use 3D programs myself.

The only thing that stands out to me from the concept art vs your mode is the overall shape/silhouette of the face....I think it will benefit with the more "pointy" shape that it have on the concept arts...also, the gap on the top of her thighs from the front and back view seems a bit too wide (?)...I particularly like the rocket launcher, I think you did very well with the modeling on that one (I wish I can do that)...texturing starts looks good..probably add more of the scruffs/dirt/scratches on the buckle of the headgear as it looks too clean from the pic...

what is your current workflow/software do you use?
  • TheKlu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheKlu polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, just wow.
  • Mandrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ! Thank you for your answers !
    Yes, I think the tight gap is too wide too, thank you I did not see it ! For the "Pointy shapes, I think thatt will be made with normal mapping if I can, if not, i will try to resculpt it. The texturing of the glasses is not finished at all, It needs more scratches as you said :)

My workflow is simple for hard surfaces pieces, Everything is done in Maya, for organics, I start in Zbrush, just creating the big formas, not too detailed, then retopology in maya using Modeling toolkit and the awesome quad draw ! (I only did this for Tankgirl this time, the bear and the weird "visor" dog head were modelled using maya), unwrapped, then Photoshop, and starting to put some photos/textures etc... And a little bit of painting over all.

When this is done, converting it to black and white and playing with contrasts/levels to get a quick specular map,

Then with this maps and a little bit more of tweakings, (Black and white again), creating a quick normal map using NDO !

993741processtextures.png

I started to texture the helmet yesterday, so this is a pic of the result, It's not finished yet.

531010casque.png

Thank you again for your answers ! Will try to post more soon ! =)
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    niceeeee!
    looking forward to this
  • Mandrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Amirabd !

Some refining on the glasses, I changed the leather, I prefer this kind of old rusted cow look, these glasses lived in the desert and made the war, they deserve it !
    C & C's are always welcome !

399257lunettes.jpg

I'm currently refining the helmet, I think I will be able to post some new pics soon !
  • Mandrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ! Here are some more pics, sorry for the delays, I was really busy at school these months, but now I have found the time to keep going, so here are some more pics, ! Every comments ant critiques are welcome ! Thank you, I hope you will like it ! 

• Mandrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone ! I've completed the texturing part ! so I post some pics. I gave the model to a friend so he can rig it.
    ! Comments and critiques are more than welcome !

• Mandrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ! Some news and I have A whooooole bunch of things to post ! 

I did not make a render with the textures for the moment ! I will... one day... maybe...