Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Still Hand Painting Terrain?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
QuantumTheory polycounter lvl 6
Hi Everyone,

Terrain is a popular topic for any game engine, and there are various ways of generating the heightfield data. If you're looking at some popular PC and Console games, chances are they're using World Machine. It doesn't make much sense to have to hand-paint kilometers of terrain with a push and pull brush.

I've used World Machine in various professional projects: including my 3 Terrain Packs available in the Unity Asset Store, one of which is the Desert Terrain Pack:
01e7244b-15e9-4921-95b1-b5b4e160694b.jpg

You can do a lot with a top-down projected heightfield, but World Machine can present a steep learning curve for newcomers. Other video series' simply gloss over everything and expect you to fill in the blanks. This is why I recently developed my own Introduction to World Machine video tutorial series.
CLsWzEEWoAA0MgN.jpg

In this series, you'll gain a solid understanding of how World Machine operates, how all the nodes work, and even construct and texture a nice Alpine Terrain using some cool techniques all inside World Machine. Once completed, you'll construct the splat map and export all the data to Unity 5, though the same data can be used in Unreal, Cryengine, etc.

Don't worry. You don't need a licensed version of World Machine to get started. There is a Basic edition freely available so you can follow along!

Look over the course, what is offered, and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Thanks!
-pete

Course Video Links:

Replies