Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Default Materials Changing

Hi All,

I wasn't able to find this in another thread, so sorry if I just missed it.

I was working on a project in DDO, and made a change to the colors of a leather material I had on my model.

As soon as that change applied and refreshed in 3DO, I noticed that a brass material I had on another section of the model also changed color at the same time. I'm not sure if it was the exact same color I had chosen for the leather, but it was close.

I thought that was weird, but decided to just add another plain brass material and replace the old one. However, now the default brass material is the same very dark brown color.

Somewhere along the way, the chrome material also switched to a vary dark gray, almost black. It still holds that color even if I add another default chrome material.

Even worse, I immediately closed Photoshop/Quixel down without saving, hoping to have the original colors back when I reopened everything, but those materials are still the wrong color.

Any ideas on what might be going on here? Hopefully something stupid but easily correctable on my part...?

I'm on Windows 10 64bit (no problems up until this), Photoshop CS6, on the latest Quixel patch, installed to the default file path (no special characters), originally and still installed in English, etc.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Unfortunately, you seem to have stumbled into one of those magic bugs with 1.8 that arises with no explanation. I would recommend creating a new project and seeing if you get the same issue with it.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi plate captain! Is this issue reflected in the base psd's as well or is it only in 3DO?
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only one I looked at before closing PS was the Albedo map, and those sections were darkened there. I didn't check the actual gloss map, but the gloss values didn't appear to change - just the underlying color.

I can try to confirm later tonight, as well.
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like I can create a new project with the original input maps, and those materials work fine again. If I go into my old project and try to create a default brass or chrome texture, though, still too dark.

I think I'll just shrug it off as a weird bug and start over with the texturing. Thankfully I wasn't too far in yet.

Let me know if you need any other details, but I assume 2.0 won't have this particular bug, so it probably won't be worth tracking down at this point.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Wow, this program has a LOT of issues right now. I am running into bugs at almost every turn it seems like. Doesn't take away from my opinion that Quixel is a lovely creation though.

I regularly have 3DO not matching DDO. Just loading up my test project a minute ago leaves me with the PSD's displaying older texture results, while 3D0 is displaying the last operations i saved with properly. Nor does the display of masks in 3DO match my updated selections and sometimes not my existing selections either. Ctrl clicking multiple masks doesn't always work right either within dynamask. I spent the entire morning trying to figure out why my model was suddenly all black and the afternoon trying to figure out why my models, with one single flat dielectric military material looked dark and like a conductor, and re-installed. Just now i had something thats been happening a lot: the little layer mask picture doesn't correctly update when i remove a material. When i added a new material to one area using the c command and shift, it created it within another material for some reason and now 3DO won't load my mesh after switching to another project. That represents about half of problems im having.

Edit: to add to this since im on a role -just tried to adjust the "scale" slider on a sub-material and it processed for an abnormally long time, appeared to be done, then processed again, then all of a sudden i look at DDOs material layer list and i noticed the following: I was put in the normal tab from the albedo tab, the material i had just adjusted for the last 10 - 15 minutes was completely gone. A camo material that i had previously deleted re-appeared in the list and was again applied to the model. Almost like i had hit the undo button a bunch of times. (oops, turns out i had not deleted the camo layer i mentioned, just disabled it. However it had been enabled in the diffuse as it was visible in the texture. I didn't notice whether the visibility check-box had been re-checked or not.)

It all feels like a house of cards right now, but its still beautiful.

Rhetorical question: Why not just release the 2.0 beta now (assuming its in a usable state) since all these problems exist in 1.8?
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think most people are having few (if any) issues. It seems like a lot, because when problems show up, everyone comes here looking for help.

This is actually one of the rare issues I've had over the past several months.

If you haven't already, I would open a new thread with the problems you're experiencing. Those are new to me.