Home General Discussion

How do you guys push yourself to practice art?

Ace
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Ace polycounter lvl 9
Just like the title says. I'm approaching my second year in doing 3D art. I love it, the idea of creating 3D environments and seeing my results and walking around rooms that I've made still makes me happy.
With that said, I'm currently a college student, with a part time (full time during summer) job, and other typical real life responsibilities that a 20 year old has on top of taking care of my grandmother and other needs. I find that on average I'll have about 2-3 hours of free time a day give or take. Some days I have none and just cut into my sleeping hours to free up some extra time.

Once I finally get some time to myself and sit in front of my computer, my thoughts are: I'm tired, I want to do something else (like play video games), and a bunch of other excuses. I constantly have to tell myself "okay, lets make the best of this free time to improve. I want to get better, I have to force myself, even if I don't want to today."

But when I open Max, substance designer, Photoshop, etc. I just blank out. I just stare at my computer screen with 3DS Max just sitting there or with an unfinished project. I don't know what to do. Every time I sit down to try and work on something, my mind just goes blank. I'll play around with whatever software is in front of me to see if something comes to mind but nothing. After about an hour or so I give up.

I feel like I'm stuck. How do you guys push yourselves to get better at art?

Replies

• Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Try doing art first thing before you do all of your other responsibilities. I wake up crazy early, like 2am and then go to bed at 6 or seven.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Tough question to answer as it's very individual. Some people respond well to taking a couple of weeks off doing art. Others watch movies, play games etc. You might want to look at your life outside creating art as well, as things around you and your current mental state can easily have a huge impact. I have been in your situation a couple of times, and i have just grinded my way through it even though it was incredibly frustrating.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta make it a routine really. Just like how you schedule your workout. It's all about forcing your body to do it and ignore your reluctance.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Yup, Just put it in a routine. The hardest part is starting, once you pick up that pen, open zbrush and start sculpting it becomes 200x easier to just sit there and keep working. (at least thats where I struggle :P)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    I highly recommend finding some way to incorporate social element into this. Let me explain. I work on an indie game for over 1.5 years, which means for 1.5 years I spend most of my spare time (after my day job) on this. It got old, I am tired and burnt out. I would have given up already if I worked alone.

But every week me and my teammates pick up some tasks for ourselves and promise to finish them by the end of the week (typical agile sprint). I feel some kind of social responsibility, I can't just go like "well guys I just don't feel like working this week, m'kay?", because everyone else is working. We encourage one another, and seeing other people work makes you want to do your part too.

So, you can join some indie game project (or start your own!). Or find another artist (he or she doesn't have to be a graphic artist, they can be a musician or something) and work together on something. Just something, anything that involves other people.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    2-3 hrs a day IS PLENTY of time !! You just need to use them better.

And thus, you should do our very own monthly character challenge.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155966
    This month is a little harder than last, but you should still be able to start on it nonetheless.

Or if you do environment pieces, then look for the envo challenge.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    What about weekends? Maybe instead of using 2-3 hours a day, you just use a larger block during the weekends and just use time after work to relax. Honestly, motivation is tough for most artists outside of work but I just keep pushing to do stuff so I can keep up to date on tech and improve my skills. I get nervous when I go too long without doing some sort of personal art or folio addition in my free time. You could always stream while you work, join a google hangout, or just live skype talk with a friend doing the same. That will probably keep you more focused.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Do you have something specific your working on? Like a specific piece?

Or are you just opening up the software and hoping something will come to you?
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I'm only responding to the thread title.

Question: "How do you guys push yourself to practice art?"
    Answer: "By not thinking about the portfolio, or the jobs"
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    My wife is a fashion designer and kicks my butt at drawing but I still come up with some gems through practicing stuff like [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-Loomis/e/B004L5LII8"]Andrew Loomis[/ame]

Check out this thread - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/870-Journey-of-an-Absolute-Rookie-Paintings-and-Sketches

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1n5U4F-deA[/ame]
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Pops head in

Did Dustin already link his Get Shit Done page? Because honestly that helps. Look at everything there, and try to think about if any of it would help you, or if making some clearer tasks and such would help you ease into it (for me it's very much about habit unless I'm feeling burnt out, and that's a clear sign to just move on for a little while and take a break).

For me, usually finding a time and place for art is easy-- it's hard to find a time and place to not want to do art! But I also draw-- A lot. And that's kind of easier to just do whenever than 3D modelling is. 3D modelling, especially in the midst of a few projects, can require a lot of set up and thought and if you're not great yet you can accidentally cause demotivating technical mistakes early on. As someone prone to anxiety, I find that before I even start occasionally I'll start blanking because I'm kind of just worried in general about the process. If you can, try to do some self analysis and see if you can think about why you're avoiding doing art. Is it just a habit? Or are you worried about something else?

My personal solution to the above is to either choose a small, completable project. A low poly plant, or a basemesh, or a sword off one of those cool thumbnail sheets that a lot of artists do. Or, I doodle in Zbrush. It's easier for me to do stuff if I'm confident that I'm capable. Also, try to remember that while your schedule is so tight, you have to look after yourself. Forcing yourself is one thing, but make it reasonable.

Finally, if you're stuck for ideas, check out artstation, and the weekly/monthly challenges. Find something you like and do some prep work on the concept. A blockout and some modular breakdowns, collect ref. Easy fun stuff that will stop you blanking out on it in the future if you choose to continue with it.

Anyway I talk a lot tl;dr:
    What Dustin said. :thumbup:
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Best scenario to practice art? When you get paid to practice and experiment on a project. :thumbup:
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    It's tough when you only have 2-3 hrs a day compared to say 8 hrs. In a full day you can get something done and you can see it and be happy about it, which can then motivate you to do more the next day. With 2-3 hrs a day, it means that you'll need to understand that whatever you're working on is going to be done in small pieces which will add up to a finished asset later on.

I've had a few times where I worked on personal art but only had about 1 or 2 hrs a day to do it. The main things that I've found to make that short amount of time count is A) Do it on a consecutive basis and B) Assign yourself a goal to accomplish in that 1 or 2 hrs.

"A" is important because if an asset takes say 8 hrs to complete, but you only have 2 hrs a day to do it, then it'll take 4 days to finish it. If you lose a day, your motivation can sink because now it'll take 5 days to finish it.

"B" Break down your project into assets, and then break those assets down into parts that you can accomplish in the time you have available. This helps to keep you focused and not just sit at your table, you'll waste no time getting started. For example, you need to make an oil barrel. You can decide the first 2 hrs you model a high poly. Next day, you model a low poly, unwrap it and bake the maps you need. Next day, you texture. Last day you finish texturing and polish. So that was 4 days, 2 hrs each, 8 hrs. So you do this for every asset in your scene and eventually you'll have a full scene.

I think someone also wrote down to make sure to do something social? Don't forget to go out and enjoy life here and there :)
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 18
    Here are some resources that should prove helpful if you take the time to go through them.

http://www.dustinbrown.com/getshitdone/

Wow, dang, thank you for putting all this together!
  • Ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I might just take a breather for a bit. I kinda have been neglecting my social life, so I'll probably just take a handful of weeks off.

Thanks for the link Dustin! I've gone through quite a bit of those and I agree on the videos but right now I feel like I probably just needa chill lol.

I think I'm going to finish my skyrim or star-ocean campaign and see what happens. Usually when I watch a good film or play a beautiful game I go "I wanna make something like that" and that might help.

What do your guys' day look like when it comes to art? I know its vastly different depending on if you're freelancing or working at a studio but when do you usually find time to just sit down and work on your portfolio?
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I might just take a breather for a bit. I kinda have been neglecting my social life, so I'll probably just take a handful of weeks off.
    Taking a break is not gonna help at all, it's only gonna make things worse. The longer you don't practice art, the harder it is to get back into it.
    What do your guys' day look like when it comes to art?
    I work fulltime at a studio so I usually work on my own stuff during lunchbreak, I try to push 1 hour every evening if I'm not going out with friends, on saturday I do nothing and I spend the whole sunday working on something I like.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I try to keep projects small. It's more likely that I will finish a fire estinguisher than a fire truck. Finishing a project is quite a rewarding experience :P
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    What helps me a bit is streaming. Once I press that "start streaming" button I know that I have to 100% focus on making art and I can't go and check polycount, reddit or etc every 20 minutes.

Working 2-3 hours per day is okay. I can't work for more than 4 hours in one sitting because I get burnt out and need to take a break if I want to see what is wrong in my models and etc.
  • Ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace polycounter lvl 9
    Popol wrote: »
    Taking a break is not gonna help at all, it's only gonna make things worse. The longer you don't practice art, the harder it is to get back into it.

D: !!!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Slosh brings up a good point. Are you working 7 days of the week right now? Do you have an off day? If so, you could certainly push yourself more on that day. Maybe take a lighter course load next semester if it's more of school that's keeping you that busy?
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I'll try to add anything helpful to this base on my own situations with this, motivation thread.

If feeling stuck I usually work on something small and quick to get the motivation for something more time consuming, as already mentioned.

I put on some good music, look for a good concept that gives me the feels and hype myself up about it and think of ways to make it as bad ass as I can.

If you don't look for concepts or feel the need to attempt your own designs, the concept art stage might be helpful to work on, if your ever required or asked to supply or assist in that area you can be semi ready to create something resembling a design for a character or other request. ;) (in the very unlikely event thereof, better to be ready for surprises then be surprised.)
    Also if you ever venture into creating your own "studio/art house" in the beginning stages you might be the one creating designs, unless you have the cash for a concept artist to help.

Attempt something a little more interesting out of your usual work, if your a character artist attempt a small environment or vehicle or even a simple weapon, just the mix it up a bit for yourself.
    The realism stuff might not interest you when your attempting any pieces outside of your comfort zone then go for a stylized approach or concept.

That's what I got, hope it helps.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    I think it comes down to making time for it.
    And realizing sometimes you can't get a bunch of things done given the amount of time you have available, such as 2-3 hours. Granted that's a good amount of time, but you really can't expect to get a whole environment done in that time frame.

Personally I think you're just exhausted when it comes time to actually make art. I think it's good to break down your projects into small and large tasks. So when it comes time for you to sit down and hammer out some art, if you're totally brain dead you can make some smaller assets. And on days that you've got time and motivation you can hit something large scale.

As many people have mentioned, routine is crazy important and the sooner you can make creating a part of your everyday the sooner everything else will be in the way of you creating.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5

I think this is true but I often end up taking long breaks from practicing but do tons of reading and research in-between.

Then by the time I comeback to practicing again it's with a bunch of ideas or subjects I've been wanting to try with a bunch of resources I've gathered.

I definitely improve my understanding and style, but doesn't help me in other ways like simply being able to casually draw things I guess.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11

I agree. I would advise against a long break off. a day off from working on a project could help. but anything longer than that will turn into "ill start back on it tomorrow" and then you will never get back to working on art.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Taking breaks can get tricky. Honestly, I only take "breaks" AFTER I've polished off a project. Then I say, I'm gonna play this game for a week or two, or just spend more time with family, etc. But then, after a few days, the guilt of not doing any art at home starts to sync in. I make it sound negative but really I just get ancy and need to do something creative. So, while I agree it's important to unwind and have a social life, I would try to accomplish something artistic to completion before you do...then you will feel good about the art and the social time you are taking off.
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 18
    Taking a break or doing something you like after you've hit a project milestone or finished something also feeds into a very healthy habit/reward loop.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    motivation should not really be an issue in the long run. if you do not enjoy art then you will never make a career out of it.
    I have been working on average maybe 6-7 hours a day since 1995 on my artwork. at times I have sat for 8 hours without moving, it's all about the dedication.
    i have taken breaks and these days do it mainly part time, but still the overriding factors should be the love of making stuff
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    make it fun.

I try to do stuff different than what I do on the 9-5. Anything different, fun or interesting sparks the curiosity.

Keep it loose and fun, but always execute perfectly.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I usually designate time for myself to do different things. During weekdays I tend to do 1-2 hours of work then I can game. During weekends it's at least 6-8 hours of work before I even let myself play some video games. It's all about discipline really.

That said, there are different types of "personal improvement"- Watching tutorials to learn a new workflow is also something you can do if you're not feeling it. Doing material studies might be nicer than making something in 3D etc etc.

I also tend to tailor my playlist for WORK MODE, and I always work to the same playlist. So when I listen to it I'm conditioning my brain to go into WORK MODE and Focus.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    i think you are stuck because you are in college. i'm not saying don't go to college, but you can't do twenty things at the same time. it requires sacrifice, 2-3 hours a day is jack shit, you can't do anything with that time. some people can, sure, but are you that guy? a lot of people aren't.

when i'm not working freelance, i'm pretty much pushing 9 hours per day on personal projects and learning. use games, movies, books to get inspiration. all artists do this so they can continuously create new art.

you can't have full busy days and hope that you can still shove more shit in them, it's not possible. in your case, sacrifice is required. hold on college or find someone to take care of your grandmother.

i know my goals and i work on them, because that's what i want to do. i'm your age, and i consider myself successful because when i look at my peers, they don't know what they want to do. even if they do, they aren't working for it hard enough. there is nothing more important to me than my career and my health.

prioritize.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Browse Polycount and various artists' work, Exit Steam, get a cold redbull, turn on the fan and music, and away we go! Starting off with something small and fun like painting a tile-able texture usually helps get me into the working mood as well.

@Chrisradsby - I hear you on tailoring a playlist for work mode. I still can't listen to Moby without thinking I should be working on something.

Also if all else fails, just wake up to this every morning as an alarm clock:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU[/ame]
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I open up Deviantart and Artstation and look at things I like
    Next I drink 4 cups of coffee and let the caffeine consume me
    Then I let my hands do their thing.