Home Technical Talk

My spline extrudes disappear

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
tommyscottart polycounter lvl 8
Just as the title says. Whenever I try to extrude this spline, it simply disappears. However, I still have the option to move this invisible object around. Like maybe it did extrude the spline, but it is just invisible. Weird.

Here is an image of my spline that needs to extrude:http://i.imgur.com/UIo6oZQ.jpg

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    If you want to extrude without too many hiccups, you would need to convert the shape (spline to polygons), extrude the polygons to your liking ... and finally delete the faces to make it appear as if everything was done as an extrude, (hollow it out so to speak).

This is only a general way of doing it. You could also use shapemerges and other methods.
  • tommyscottart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tommyscottart polycounter lvl 8
    Thank Peanut! The way I got around the problem was adding an Extrude modifier and then a cap holes modifier. Somehow that made it work, oddly enough. If I had only used Extrude or had chose to convert it to editable poly, it would just turn invisible. For some reason adding both extrude and cap polys made it extrude properly without being invisible. So freaking weird.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    "an Extrude modifier and then a cap holes modifier"

Good, this works also. The other solution was probably turning invisible because of welding problems.