Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cartoon character.

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
kanga quad damage
Hi.
Here is a character I am working on atm. Its a simple stylized figure and I will give her a sword. I want to make a lowpoly version and rig her. Would be nice to animate the ded teds and the bunny ears with her walk and run cycles. I am also going to try and use planes for the hair. She also needs some basic expression and I guess they will have to be done with bones. Here are some shots:
noodlecomp.jpg
Some construction wip shots:
wip01comp.jpg
wip02comp.jpg
All crits welcome.
Cheers

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Getting all kinds of Gorillaz vibes from her.

Front bangs feel weird to me, but I suspect you're going to retopologize that in a particular way? Feels more like a bulging mass than bangs pushed out from underneath.

I like the style though and the lankiness. Feels so sweet!
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks for the comments Brian. Yes I will be using cards for the hair. Will be a challenge to get volume. Will watch out for the clumpiness :) I love the noodle character, she's pure genius. Big fan of Gorillaz.
  • Khronos
    Offline / Send Message
    Khronos polycounter lvl 9
  • Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    I like her shapes, she looks like a tough little lady :D

Keep it up!
  • jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Really digging this, nice work!
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks for the comments!
    A bit more. The crotch is dropped, legs a bit more shape. She has a mouth and teeth, a sword, some cap fasteners and a sword arm guard, new goggles and wrinkles also pulled back the hair a bit and am now busy with the card strip version :)
    noodlecomp02.jpg

Thanks again for the support.
    Cheers
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Cool work so far! Very interesting style/character. I feel like the inner parts of her upper legs are angled the wrong way giving her a bit of a bow legged appearance for the top half of her legs. Also, there isn't much for cloth detail on her shorts in the back but there is in the front. Speaking of which your materials are looking pretty solid! Definitely going to be a great piece when it's done :)
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Making the cards now huh? that's always a long process haha. Very cool character. It has a nice consistent feel to it. I do think that the seem on the back of the shorts is a bit odd. I wouldn't expect the cloth to cave in like that. The bear on her belt could also use stitching around the arms and legs but that's really just a personal opinion :). Keep it up.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @ nickcomeau Thanks man. I changed the legs like you suggested and I like the way they look now, thanks! I put in some wrinkles on the back as well.

@ kosh_fotsirk Thankyou! Stitched up the tedz and like you say the place where I had the crevis is mostly flat on real people. I think it looks better played down like you said.
    The tedz
    tedz.jpg
    and tedi
    tedi.jpg
    Thanks very much for your comments.
    Cheerio
    Chris
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    The legs are looking much better. I'm really enjoying how it's looking overall now and all the small bits of detail that you're putting in! Awesome work :D
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hey nickcomeau thanks!
    Congrats on finishing your character btw.
    Here some skin and wires.
    noodleface.jpg
    noodleskin.jpg
    tediwire.jpg
    Now onto baking.

Cheerio
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! :) yours is looking good. As for your topology, I think some of the triangulation you have are a bit odd and unnecessary. Like on the elbow area and around the knee, you also did a lot of that around the waist. You really only need that extra topology if it is going to be defining the silhouette and having he extra edges around the belt area doesn't seem all that necessary IMO. Also. Your joints aren't going to deform well right now, you should look at proper joint topology, I believe there is a thread somewhere on polycount with it. (Also applies to each finger joint)

As for the face paint over, are you trying to show she has paint on her nose or that it is blushed because of a cold or something? If it is because of a cold, it should be a bit less saturated and more blended with the skin. If it is paint, make it more obvious with some paint crusting, stroke lines on the ends. Right now it is a bit uncertain I think.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi Thanks for the comments!
    Yeah I got the joint config from a Jon Rush workshop and Jon used to have a site with gif animations that explain them but the site seems down. The only thing I could find is the pic here. I do most of my joints like the ones on the right except I weight the verts so the back of the joint collapses on itself.
    04Joints.jpg
    The hand looks like this:
    tedijoints.jpg
    So Far I have had quite a bit of success with deformation. Its the same system I used here:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3FvM3vgGTA[/ame]

The triangles on the torso are not mean as extra geometry except where needed. The tris are to stop twisted quads and also raises many polys enough so they dont need more distance from the high poly, or in some cases to cause a crease where is is needed. These tris are not extra because a quad is two tris anyhow. The extra edges around the belt are needed for the bake, it does make a difference. The cage is hugging the form as much as possible.

I like the nose blush for a cartoon character but it is something to keep an eye on when the texturing is further along.

Thanks for your pointers!
    Cheerio
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Here is the first run using ddo. The metals are not showing up in max and its taking some messing around to get toolbag to work this time around but working on it.
    firstrun01.jpg
    Cheerio
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LVTePQ3ntA[/ame]

1080p A turn around and a bit of deformation from the lead character of the Teddy Hunters. A game where the Anti Xmas has sent forth legions of deranged toys to conquer the universe. The worst of which are naturally the voracious and cunning Teddy s. Tedi and her team must slice and dice, hammer and blast their way through multifarious possessed playthings, but instead of blood n' guts there is stuffing n' stitches.
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    this is sooo dope i love gorilaz
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks, yeah I am also a big fan :)
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, this is awesome! Love it!
    really reminds me of tankgirl.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I really love the character, not to thrilled with all the black used in texture. Model is great the painting / color control could use some love.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @lotet Thankyou! I am a tankgirl fan as well :)
    @katana Thanks for the comment and thanks a lot for the advice will go over the colours.

Cheers
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Finally got her into unreal.
    tedi_unreal.jpg
    Cheerio
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarish7 polycounter lvl 7
    I'm a bit late on this one but this thread was really great to go through! Thanks for posting the whole process :)
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    really nice :thumbup:
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @Sarish7
    @amirabd2130
    Thanks for your comments guys!
    Haven't been geting thread notifications so I missed your comments.
    Cheerio