Home Technical Talk

Normal Baking on Linux

Chuck Tetakel
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Chuck Tetakel polycounter lvl 4
Hello does anybody know any good solutions for Highpoly to Lowpoly bakes on Linux? The only one i know of is using Blenders baketools. I prefer though to not use them though because because my project files in Blender tend to become messy really fast, even with addons like BakeTool. Also i didn't really got yet any comparable results as with xnormal baking. Though that might be rather due to my incompetence with baking in Blender :poly124:.
I also already tried getting xnormal running with wine,since xnormal 4.0 with linux support might still take some time before it finally getting released, but so far it always already failed in the installing process. Did somebody had luck getting xnormal running in wine?

Hope somebody can help me out here :)

Replies

• Moltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You're not hallucinating; Blender's baker is actually as bad as you think. It supports cage baking in Cycles, but it doesn't have antialiasing and it's pretty slow.

Maya and Modo both have bakers with antialiasing, round corners, and cage projection. Mudbox has antialiasing but doesn't have cage projection, so you'll get good results with Mudbox for organic models but worse results for hard surface models. If you need Mikktspace normals for UE4 you can convert them from a world space map baked in another app with Blender's compositor and internal baker. XNormal 4 is supposed to be cross platform but Santy is a butt who didn't back things up or use version control and plays too much World of Warcraft, so it's taking literally forever for it to come out. If all else fails you could run a Windows VM just for bakes...or bake an 8192x8192 normal map and scale it down...I never had luck with Wine and XNormal either, though I've heard that it's possible to get it working.

Also AwesomeBump is better than InsaneBump in my experience, but neither is as good as a good high-to-low bake.

Edit: You might try 3d coat too. It can bake maps and has a history of good Linux support. Not sure how it handles hard surface baking but it might actually be your best bet in the end.
  • Chuck Tetakel
    Offline / Send Message
    Chuck Tetakel polycounter lvl 4
    Baking in 3d coat works amazing :thumbup: thanks for the suggesting! And pretty fast too :). It perfectly works together with Blender aswell, because of the normal presets for blender and applink between both applications.