Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Worgen Character

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
Been working on this guy on and off, but I'm looking to push him more towards Warcraft worgen fanart.
Here's my progress so far:
SMiNw6n.jpg
Going to separate the fur onto separate subtools so I can have a lot more control.

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    So far I love it! The snout looks a little more like a lions the way it flares but that could be my imagination.
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    I fully agree with you, I've been working at it a little bit.
    I need to exaggerate all of his teeth and sharpen them up a bit.
    Here's some of the face changes:
    5OmcJbm.png
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My little progress for the night. Removed a finger and a toe, added a dewclaw.
    Using a lot of reference, but I like the look of this guy:
    Worgen-WoW-1920x1200.jpg
    Here's my progress so far:
    2E3JvCU.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Love how it's starting to shape out. That angular nose is killer.
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I'm glad you're digging it.

Little more progress, excited to jump into the armor pieces.
    Going to mix a few pieces from the art above, and some asymmetry from others.
    KwmQ7sT.jpg
  • Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azurenito polycounter lvl 4
    Personally I love it, but I think it can be improve by adding some more hair because it looks kinda tool smooth. Wish the final product will turnout to be eye dropping.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    This gonna get so goood !!!
    Just a sculpt or soon a lowpoly ?
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    This is looking great so far!
  • natendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natendo polycounter lvl 3
    Could just be the angle, but he seems to be leaning back too far. It makes him look pretty stiff.

Your reference has this nice curve to the upper body. I think you should try to emulate that more. Bring his head, neck, and shoulders forward. And curl his back, too.

Other than that, it's looking really solid. Keep it up.
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Azurenito Thanks! He'll definitely have fur all over his body similar to the illustration up there. I'm going to most likely work on that during my detailing phase, or when I find an approach to adding fur that I like.

@Pyrzern Lowpoly and posed.

@natendo After adding in his pony tail he does look like he's leaning back a bit, but I'm not too concerned since I'll be posing him and giving him a more powerful stance similar to the illustration up above. Though, I will be playing with his stance a bit and I might settle for the typical 3 point worgen stance from other images.

PqUr4en.jpg

Thanks so much for the amount of feedback and comments! I appreciate it soo much :)
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to post the little progress I made before the weekend. Updates should be a lot more consistent now that I have a bit more free time.
    mBtoNeh.jpg
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress on this guy, coming together. Detailing coming up soon. Going to be adding more fur, scratches, material definition/texture.

• Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finishing up this sculpt so I can move onto the low poly. Trying to get better material definition and overall better details.
    I always seem to struggle at this stage where I'm attempting to add skin texture, hair, and fur.

• Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 12
    Ahh, I've loved seeing the progress on this model so far. Keep it up! 
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked this guy back up, detailed the straps after a friend of mine pointed out they were undetailed.

I also finished up the lowpoly ending at 11,150 tris

• Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't updated this in a while but here's the missing progress to finish.

Baking:

Texture:

Finished:

and check him out in 3d:
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    His body feels so naked.  Was that intentional?
  • DallanP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DallanP polycounter lvl 8
    Fantastic sculpt! You might be more successful with him if you had a more refined color palette. The brown, red, green, and blue just isn't doing it for me. 
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    You made a REALLY nice sculpt on Zbrush. But for me you made a really simple texturing ( no color variation , not really material definition etc etc...).
    This is really pity because you can extract from your sculpt some cool map ( AO , Normal etc ) and try to do a better job on the texturing and pop-out your character. :)
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys  B) 
    His body feels so naked.  Was that intentional?
    Yeah, I was looking at Worgen concepts like the one I mentioned in my 3rd post. He probably could've had a few more pieces of armor.
    DallanP said:
    Fantastic sculpt! You might be more successful with him if you had a more refined color palette. The brown, red, green, and blue just isn't doing it for me. 
    I agree, in retrospect I could've definitely did away with the death knight blue.
    Dragonar said:
    You made a REALLY nice sculpt on Zbrush. But for me you made a really simple texturing ( no color variation , not really material definition etc etc...).
    This is really pity because you can extract from your sculpt some cool map ( AO , Normal etc ) and try to do a better job on the texturing and pop-out your character. :)
    Thanks you, yeah I don't really feel great about my texturing ability in comparison to my sculpting. I tried to really work on material definition by pushing the specularity in the metals. In marmoset the metal looks nice, but in sketchfab my spec almost completely falls flat. He may really need a glass map for sketchfab.
  • Koanri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koanri null
    I love the sculpt mate. I am a huge fan of the worgen in WoW, and you've done a great job at them. I was wondering if I could use this character of yours for some animations? I'm not a huge fan of the current Worgen casting animations, and I have been looking around for a similar 3D model to re-animate them. Would you be interested in collaborating?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Question; then why use Sketchfab ?  Why not use Marmoset Viewer ?
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Koanri
    He has a very basic rig on him atm, but if you'd like to rig him and animate him feel free as long as you don't use him for commercial purposes and you give credit to me through my Artstation.
    Send me a private message if you'd like to discuss more details.
    @PyrZern
    I use both, but currently to my knowledge Marmoset Viewer doesn't support animation.
  • Lucospade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade polycounter lvl 3
    I feel like that posture is wayyy too much. He looks like he's about to fall backwards. Don't Worgens hunch up?
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, maybe I tried to hunch him a bit, but the sword made him look like he was falling forward.
    If he was unarmed or had fist weapons I would definitely hunch him over, or have him in a 3 point stance.

I agree though, he does look almost noble in posture, which conflicts with his whole design.