Home Technical Talk

An issue with Maya's weightpainting

Slapunas
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Slapunas polycounter lvl 5
Hi Polycount,

I was looking for thread like this and could not find anyone facing same issue so i'll post this here.

I am quite new to rigging in Maya and this probably is something really stupid that I did not noticed but all my weight paints get removed after I deselect the joint or toggle the painting on another joint.

B2PZSzp.png

It is really frustrating as I can't find a way to save my weight values.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    I'm no Maya expert, but it looks like the viewport is applying shading to the model when you deselect the joint. Can you set the viewport to show the model without any shading?
  • Slapunas
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you set the viewport to show the model without any shading?

that's not shading I am showing there. Its a weight paint values displayed on the model in black and white.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Painting weights in Maya has been historically buggy for me, especially with values over 1 and randomly re-assigning values for no reason.

I found I encountered fewer oddities if, before I began painting weights, I assigned all vertex weights to the root joint (100% influence) and made sure there were no stray values above zero on any other joint. This is easily accomplished using the Component Editor.

Note: Maya LT does not come equipped with the Component Editor, unless it was renamed...

Hope this helps
  • Slapunas
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for replies guys. Unfortunately I still cannot figure how to make it work.
  • CharacterCarl
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Hey, I've had issues like this before. The solution, most of the time, was one of these two things:

1. It looks like some skin weights are locked which is why you can't add influence from them to the foot. Try to unlock them inside the paint skin weights tool:

1b7abc72fdd9448591aba3aef2c5f860.jpeg

2. Make sure 'Maintain Max Influences' is turned off. This controls how many joints can influence one skin weight. Also "Normalize Weights" should be set to 'Interactive':

52167470a3ac422c8db43167ed626778.jpeg

Hope, this helps.