Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3DMotive Briefcase Attempt

Cyph3r
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
Hey all, it's been a long time since I've posted any of my work here.

Far far far far too long.

Well I've picked it all up again and watched a few different vids. One of which being 3DMotive's Briefcase tutorial series by Alec Moody:

http://3dmotive.com/series/the-briefcase-workflow.html

Now I don't, er, 'believe', in following these things word for word every single step. I'll pretty much just watch through the entire series on my second screen while I'm doing something else and then give it a whack at the end, if there's anything I stumble on, that's when I pick through the videos.

Thankfully this was super straight forward, so it was a nice re-introduction to 3D. Though from what I gather, this is a fairly old series now, so (especially with the introduction of PBR) this is somewhat outdated.

So I also used this as an attempt to try out Quixel Suite, which I bought recently. I'm not HUGELY fond of it on a software level, so I may try out Substance I believe it's called? What're peoples thoughts on this?

Anyway, blah blah'ing aside, here's what I came out with:

3,442 Tri's
2048x1024 Albedo/Gloss/Metalness/Normal
ukry8wL.jpg

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Can you show single shots? and your flats? and a wire frame?

However, it looks good from afar. Only suggestions would be the hinge looks a bit... odd. Does not look like it would actually close and open. Also maybe add a display.

I am more fond of Substance painter+designer over quixel. Though, nDo is an exception.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Whoops, forgot how to do this haha.

I've added the LP wires, HP, and flats as attachments to my first post.

I agree the hinge is a bit crap, its two separate plates with a long cylinder through the middle connecting them, it look's better when the case is closed. But as I said, I agree it's poor. Noted for future models.

Hmm yeah most people seem to be more fond of Substance from what I can tell.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looks solid.

Modeling wise looks good. You're right about the missing little details, but it's good you've seen them. Now you know what you'll need to loo out for in the future.

Textures can ever change, but as it stands it looks solid.

I'd say move onto something else! Keep cracking away. If you learn something on the next one, you could retroactively adjust the old project.