Home Technical Talk

Modelling for 3D printing-Witcher 3 medallion

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Anitlunia polycounter lvl 6
Hi! I love the Witcher 3 pendant game so I decided to 3d print it. I made the base Mesh so far, but I'm really having problems with the eye socket modelling

Here is what I have:
g9s4ZHn.png

fkR0DIH.png

Here is what I want to achieve:

625x465_2880185_10225657_1432344869.jpg

I made lots of things and operations (Boolean, Bezier curves, cutting some edges and vertices...) But I never have the best result and it always ends without the semicircle form of the eye. Also I have the same trouble making the pupil of the eye.
Any help?

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Personally I would probably do it in zbrush. Your best bet in max would probably be to model the eye area and pupil and attach it into the main body by making a hole and various cuts. You'll also want to check into how much detail the material and printer you're using can actually create. Probably won't have any issues with this though.

Just remember that unless you plan to subdivide, your topology doesn't really matter. As long as you can decimate it, the printer probably won't care.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    tri-count (upto millions) and topology doesn't matter much in 3d printing. you can clip the eye bits into the head no problem. use netFab to check the STL mesh for holes, thin-walls, and measure the size of features so they are larger than the minimum printable feature size. check the prices and minimum feature size for the material you want to print with, large solid prints are quite expensive.
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anitlunia polycounter lvl 6
    How to I make a hard cut surface in Zbrush, without cutting the rest of the surface?