Home Technical Talk

How can I recreate the lighting in this image in 3d?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Stu2Prof polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys I am currently trying to improve my rendering and lighting abilities and want to use this photo as a starting point

kt19IUq.jpg

I have created an object and some lights already using Maya Mental Ray and wanted to ask what I need to consider next in replicating this image. Do I need to add an ambient occlusion pass or should mentalray indirect lighting provide enough ambient shadows? Also I'm not sure if my colouring of the object is off or if I can get the wood looking more similar by adjusting my lights.

C5oleCj.jpg

bmj86RO.jpg

Any recommended reading materials or tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I noticed when trying to render the same 3d wood texture in Vray I seemed to get completely different patterns that didnt reflect how the texture was being displayed in MR. Is there a reason for this?

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need a bigger light source to get a softer shadow. Keep the light close to your object else you'll need tons of samples.

You should also look up linear workflow. From the look of it looks like you'r rendering in sRGB space.

HDR is not needed.

I did this scene to demonstrate for another thread just yesterday. To mimic your reference, the set up can be very similar. You only need 1 light, make it large and light it from slightly higher angle. Place a white plane on the opposite side to help reflect the light back.

m8JVkk5.png

ztWu0f7.png
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the recommendations! It helped a lot. Below are some new renders. Do you think I should add an additional light to brighten the overall scene?
    VVd6I2F.jpg
    sRFmxqU.jpg
    BFF0Brh.jpg
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also some additional renders with ambient light

Yrac65s.jpg
    r5EZBCK.jpg
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more experiments with specular and fresnel

psIb8oo.jpg
    3S6b9Hb.jpg
    pYORNHy.jpg
    vWtXq3U.jpg
    7UoEdxu.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your target image doesn't have light from behind, it's coming from the left. Also, make sure to light the cove backdrop, to get that even/bright tone.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Why is the wood reflecting blue? There was this widespread idea before people started to adopt pbr shaders that you need to reflect the inverted color of the diffuse in order to get neutral highlights, but it was always incredibly wrong. If this is what you've done you'll want to remove that and set the specular to a constant value. To vary the reflection use a gloss or roughness map instead.

Your specular value should be 1.5 if using IOR. If using a range from 0-100 or 0-1 use 4.0 or 0.04 respectively. This is a sufficient approximate for the reflection of dielectric materials. Another, and more important, question is what kind of material setup are you using? This plays a large part in how you're going to achieve realism. You could likely be applying fresnel when it's already doing it for you.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    What is the scale of your object? If you're aiming for photo realistic results you need to have the object with the correct size.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the double post.

Y2jYVPC.png

KmPz9ps.png

I tried to reproduce it, as already said on the thread, you just need a single light on the left.

GI+AO

Are you using Global Illumination?
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @somedoggy Thats exactly the logic I was following. Great to know I dont need to adjust for that. Here is an image of my orginal shader settings

eqEG05U.jpg

@Eric + SonicBlue - Thanks so much for your corrections. SonicBlue your render is amazing! I have tried a new render with your lighting but couldnt get as good a result. Not sure where I'm going wrong as I still have a lot to learn. I have attached my render settings and the result below. I am using GI but not AO

QqvkdpY.jpg
    bKchzWo.jpg
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As you probably noticed I don't use Maya, but I tried to see what the problems may be.

zGimJx5.png

This is Maya 2016 mental ray with the new GI algorithm, the result is not good as Cinema 4D, but I'm not comfortable with mental ray and Maya. I couldn't figure out how to improve shadow samples to increase the quality, the new render options layout doesn't help neither.

From what I can see from your screenshots one of the main problem is the material, it doesn't have reflections and the specular colour is wrong.

In this render I used a mental ray material with a texture loaded into the colour slot.

PTCN3MZ.png

Another probable issue is from the light, you probably haven't selected the Decay type, photorealistic lights have an Inverse Square decay, in Maya it's called Quadratic.

What you can do now is scrap the material you have, assign a new way without changing the colour but try to mimic how the surface reacts, before loading a texture, so that you don't have to manage too much parameters at the same time.

Then you should position the light to get the desired result, if you enable the Quadratic Decay, you have to increase the light Intensity a lot, in my case I used 2500.

Start simple, by trying to get the same light effect as the reference, when you have the correct lighting you can start to add details to the object.
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for your help SonicBlue. I'm very new to rendering so I find it interesting that the distinction of the GI is so clear between softwares. Would you happen to know of some starting points that I could research into to learn about GI and rendering? Keeping in mind how much of a beginner I am. I will try to do some more work on this wooden jar during the week but right now it appears rather unsuccessful. Reaching a point where my lighting seems very poor (Lighting from above but the top of the jar remains the darkest portion :/) and think I need to step a way for a little bit.

For now here is a quick screen grab of my current fiddling around(I tried a new texture and material) Thanks again for all the help!

qZJStMg.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like your model doesn't have bevels. Look at the fine edges on SonicBlue's example, there are small rounded bevels around the rim of the cap and also the canister. These help catch the light and reduce that knife-edge hardness seen on your model.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that would help, but wasn't the object already subdivided? In the first picture the wireframse clearly show it.

Maybe I've found why the shadows were that grainy, I had to enable the Area light to be a mental ray light, and change the subdivisions from there.

mental ray is a quite complicated software, not only it have a series of parameters scattered around various panels, but it also uses particular shaders to do some specific operations. I would use V-Ray over it, is it more understandable, but if you want to know more about mental ray, there are those video series from Jeremi Birn (who happens to work for PIXAR, I know him from an old Softimage|3D tutorial):

https://vimeo.com/user895130

There is the official NVIDIA mental ray blog

http://blog.mentalray.com/

other stuff:
    http://wiki.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia/Rendering_Mental_Ray:_Global_Illumination
    http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/maya/mr/
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?83524-Make-it-look-real-%28With-mental-ray%29

An already made studio setup:
    http://23d.one/maya-studio-setup/

CGSOCIETY Lighting Challenges thread:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=319005

so that if you want, you can grab some scene files and compare your render with other people works.

There's also this:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=922792
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using linear workflow yet? The contrast and the blown-out high light kind of suggest other wise.
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric The model does have bevels but I'm not sure why they aren't showing up nicely in the render....

@DireWolf I am using linear workflow most of this point but I may have missed activating it on the texture this time

@sonicBlue Thank you so much for these tips! I am actually more inclined to work with Vray as I've seen far more positive results with other people. I think I will try to render it out using Vray. I just happen to know a small bit already about MR. Thank you for the links. I had a quick look and already the lighting challenge seems great! Hopefully I can update this thread soon with a Vray version of this scene