Home General Discussion

Career as a Character Artist

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Arqus polycounter lvl 3
Hi Polycount!

First of all, let me start off by saying how much I appreciate the community here. It's nice to see a community that supports and helps each other in an industry which seems so competitive and unforgiving.

After a great degree of soul-searching, I have concluded that my passion is in sculpting (enjoying both digital and clay) - and so I hope to plan out the best path for me to enter the industry as a character/creature artist (and perhaps eventually to a concept artist that works in 3D).

There's some fantastic resources here and online, but it's all a bit overwhelming. The biggest question is - where should I start?

A guided path at an art school would be great. I wish I could afford art school, but I can not. I realize it's important to study anatomy, drawing, sculpting, painting - everything I can...but since there is such a wide range of tutorials, skills and knowledge in the art world, I also realize that without focus, I could easily study for 10 years and not get any closer to my dream. I have a day-job to pay the bills and support my family, but my resources are limited. I'm willing to be patient, and work diligently towards my goal.

So at the risk of asking a question that probably has been asked before - what would you do, good polycounters, if you could plan a curriculum based on what is currently available out there on gumroad, digital tutors, gnomon, 3dmotive, Amazon...etc? Is finding a mentor an option?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    if your just starting out, I would do digital tutors, that's how I started out learning game art for characters by myself. When you get a good understanding of the programs, you can start branching off. The programs are expensive though, just a heads up. I have student versions since I am in school.

Learning to be a character artist by yourself is possible, I did it myself in under a year, whether people think my stuff is good is opinionated though lol. On the other side, alot of game studios now require or want a bachelors degree usually, especially the large studios. You will be at a disadvantage with that and also with networking which is the biggest part of going to a University. I just landed an internship at a military simulation studio just by Networking, I didn't even apply.

Again, learning by yourself is possible, getting a job is harder but possible. The best scenario is teaching yourself this stuff as you go to school. I ended up being the go to guy / student for 3d art at my school just by doing that.
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    In my opinion, the best way to know what you need is to start working on something. If you want to become a character artist, then you should pick a concept from internet (better the simple one) and question yourself, what do you need to make this one? If you can't answer your question remember you have community :poly124:.

For example, I will go to the internet and pick up a random concept that I love and start working, with my first goal is just for showing, I choose Zbrush, if the concept is a Knight, at first I will search every resource that help me to learn how to sculpt a good basemesh and anatomy, then I search for how to create armor, shoes, hair, texture, render and so on. Finally I'll ask people if I want my character can be used in game, what should I do? I have to learn about retopology and search for it :poly121:.

You see there's a lot of steps in creating a character. And you need to list it out and judge yourself what you're still lacking, what need to be improved.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    On Polycount there's this monthly challenge that you should give it a look. You get to see how ppl use different methods to start a character. We also post links to tutorials or techniques to help others along the way. You can also look up past months' challenges to see characters starting from zero to complete.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154642

All in all, grab tools/software if you haven't already, and get started. Get your hands dirty.
  • Arqus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arqus polycounter lvl 3
    @tahakitan Yeah, I would love to go to school, but I just can't afford it. A series of unfortunate events left me essentially on the streets as a teen, so it's been a dream that has always been out of reach.

I understand it will be difficult if a studio is looking for that piece of paper, but it's my hope that a strong portfolio will outweigh that disadvantage. As for connections - well, I suppose that's something that I'll have to do by unconventional means. I'll definitely check digital tutors!

@Pain - thanks! I feel that I'm always motivated more by an inspiring piece of concept work - so that's a great idea. I love researching and gathering reference - I always learn something interesting about a new era, weapon or culture when I dive in to do so.

@PyrZern Thanks for the suggestion! I love to see how others tackle a piece. I'll definitely try to get my hands dirty. Nothing like jumping into the deep end of the pool!

Thank you everyone so far for your suggestions - it's really appreciated. I realize I have a long road ahead of me, but now I have a better idea of how I can take that first step.
  • rodpv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodpv polycounter lvl 10
    Dear Arqus,
    you wanna feel a bit more confident?

I'm 30, married. I've started learning 3d one year and a half ago after wandering and keeping away from my passions for all my life.

I wrote on a piece of paper that I would have a basic portfolio in 1 year and my first gig as a junior 3d artist. Both happened this year :).

This is some basic stuff I do http://www.rodolfofanti.com

Before that I had to struggle with temporary jobs, family to support, bills, debts and everything.
    I've been a graphic designer, personal trainer, salesman, marketing consultant, waiter and sales assistant in a retail shop (job from hell? :poly142:)

My suggestion: don't ask too much if something is possible, just get up every day and practice it, do it. Find ways to shut your mind and focus on action. Learn. Produce stuff which the industry needs. Just 20% of your friends, family, people will tell you "you can do it!"...so don't bother asking around. Inspire yourself by reading and look up to people who've done what you wanna do (there are a lot of fantastic examples in every field). Talent is the son of hard work. Never complain. Always produce. It doesn't matter if you're 75. Stick with it. Action=reaction something will have to happen. Doesn't matter when. Be stubborn but flexible. If you're a bit older you have a spark and determination which will throw you up to the stars. Kids don't have it. Use it at your advantage.

P.s.
    a degree COULD represent competency, competency MUST represent itself. Don't worry about paper. I studied psychology when I was 19 :poly142:

P.P.s
    Can you feel my fire and determination? It's not arrogance or crazyness but there's no way I can fail because I simply don't have other choices. You gotta get this mentality. You gotta go like a train. And be ready to dance with the waves because they're gonna hit you from time to time. Keep your compass in front of you and don't stop sailing!

What I write here is 15 years of struggles, motivation and hard work distilled in one post. I hope it'll help you!

P.P.P.s
    Be an artist in your heart and a craftsman in your wallet
  • Arqus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arqus polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks rodpv for sharing your story - it really helps to hear that people are able to overcome challenges to follow their passion. I appreciate the inspiration!
  • rodpv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodpv polycounter lvl 10
    Arqus wrote: »
    Thanks rodpv for sharing your story - it really helps to hear that people are able to overcome challenges to follow their passion. I appreciate the inspiration!

I've read also about your being clueless about what program, school to follow etc. I've been there too. Let me try and help you!

- PREMISE - WHY YOU'LL BE VALUABLE AND WHY YOU'RE A PROFESSIONAL

- A 3d artist can put together information in a way not a lot of people can or desire to do. You gotta be prepared to put an immense amount of intuition and acumen to learn all this. It's not easy or difficult, it just takes action. Mental and physical.

- A 3D artist is a skill integrator. It's a profession so we gotta work our ass towards understanding from the inside. Nobody will give you this. You have to approve yourself. "Why that works in that way?". Make sure you can answer enough so that you can complete a task and be efficient. We can usually blend an artistic mind with a technical/nerdy side.

In my experience there's not really a black and white way to learn (I've still a long way to go) you will discover though, that by immersing yourself in tutorials, forums, practice, courses etc everyday your mind will fine tune itself on the various pipelines and everyday you'll have an aha moment!

You gotta live and breathe 3D. You have to become boring for your friends :poly142:

- LEARNING EXAMPLE -

- So maybe you start a tutorial where they show you how to sculpt a character and they don't tell you what a normal map is, so you gotta be persistent and google the hell out of it and learn it yourself.

- Apply to this to every little aspect of a new workflow (even learning basic shortcuts or interface). Rinse and repeat.

- You then work on a number of different projects (character, environments, etc) and the overlapping information will start to sink in and make all sense.

- Then after a while try to get in touch with modders etc and you will have real deadlines with real technical requests. That will force you to learn quicker, with objectives.

- By this time you'll have a basic portfolio. Start connecting the hell out on linkedin, facebook, challenges, etc.

- Define yourself as a junior professional and stand your ground.

Another suggestion: be expressive about it because there are thousands of good technicians out there but less artistic minds so practice a bit of clay, a bit of charcoal life drawing, find some local short workshop and all this will keep you motivated. It will give you a sense of identity and direction. Learn from animation, drawing, painters and everytime you produce a piece ask yourself "what is the main gesture, the main idea, the main force or focus in this piece?". This will give that piece the driving force and it will drive your desire to acquire technical competence in order to express yourself and not being frustrated by it.

Does it make sense?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    All what was said is good and fine advise. Don't forget to join our cozy chat here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151412 and post WIPs and questions all day every day.
  • Arqus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arqus polycounter lvl 3
    You guys are awesome. Thank you again for this fantastic advice.

I'll definitely join the Slack channel!