Home Marmoset

deleted

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is something we've been addressing with various free updates to Toolbag. As of today we have very good support for the engines you mention.

Marmoset Toolbag 2 includes a UE4 preset material which supports the standard albedo/roughness and metalness maps, and uses GGX reflectivity. Click the presets dropdown in the material palette and select Unreal 4 Template.

The Dota 2 shader is supported and a dota 2 preset material is included as well, you can even import your Dota 2 materials by going to Material -> Import and selecting your .vmt file.

Unity 5's default specular workflow material is actually very similar to TB2's default material, I'm not aware of anything extra you need to add or change there. If using Unity's metalness workflow, simply switch the reflectivity module from specular to metalness. If I remember correctly Unity uses blinn-phong reflections, but if they've switched recently to GGX you can swap the reflection model from blinn-phong to GGX as well.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    There's already a lot you can do in TB2 to simulate the conditions of UE4, Unity, and Dota.

For example, it's pretty easy to simulate default lighting/shading conditions from Unity 5 in TB2. First and foremost, you should set your model's tangent space to Unity. EDIT: SEE BELOW POSTS ABOUT SPECULAR. Set your Reflectivity to Specular with 51,51,51 as the specular intensity, and set the Reflection to Blinn-Phong. If you reeeeally want to match everything, you can also make a sky preset in Marmoset using an exported cubemap from Unity.

From there, it's as easy as tweaking light position and intensity until everything matches. There are still going to be slight shading differences, but basically everything else should be nearly identical.

Similarly, you can do more or less the same type of setup for UE4. Hit the Invert checkbox in the Microsurface slot (this will make it use roughness instead of gloss), set Reflectivity to Metalness, and set Reflection to GGX.

As for Dota, there's already a material preset built for Dota. Make sure you have things like Local Reflections and Ambient occlusion turned off and you should be pretty much good to go.

EDIT:

Here's a quick test I did between Unity and TB2. The gloss curve between the two programs is slightly different and Unity's shadows are obviously not as pretty, but basically everything else is almost identical. I did bump up the Fresnel in TB2 to 2.0 to make it a little more similar to the results in Unity, but everything else matches what I wrote above.

z6qDiEa.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xavier, the 51,51,51 specular intensity thing is interesting, what is the purpose of that?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Xavier, the 51,51,51 specular intensity thing is interesting, what is the purpose of that?

Woops, I double checked and it looks like that is slightly off if you want to match their metalness workflow. Apparently the default value for their specular shader is 51,51,51, but it's slightly higher for their metallic shader.

EDIT: Just looked through the frame debugger in Unity and it looks like the metallic version of the shader defaults to a 56,56,56 spec value. I'm not sure why they'd have the specular version of the shader default to a lower value. I should probably submit a ticket to support.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that simply the default spec value? Surely when you load a spec map it over-rides that value, yeah?
  • [Deleted User]