Home General Discussion

Portfolio question for a new job

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Paradoxe polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,

I received an email about a job opening by a recruiter and he ask me to see my portfolio but I had a problem...

For two years now, I'm working on a game but I can't show any of my work until the release. Also this job keep me very busy. So I don't really have time to work on my personnal stuff for my portfolio at home.

Do you think I can deal with the recruiter to pass an art test or something like this? To bypass my portfolio issue...

Thanks you all.

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should talk to your current studio and ask if you can display part of your work "privately".

At least from my personal experience, some studios are OK for us to show it as a portfolio in "private" session. Unfortunately that means you need to be there in person and show it yourself on your own machine. Passing it through recruiter is a big no no.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Depends on if its a recruiter representing their company, or a recruiter representing a work outsourcing company who is going to try to place you.

If its a recruiter representing the actual studio, I would explain the situation, I am sure they have come across this before and might have an alternative for you (art test possibly).

If its a recruiter for a work outsourcing company (aquent etc.) then they are shooting in the dark and its probably not worth your time, and they would be less likely to help find a solution.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    DireWolf wrote: »
    You should talk to your current studio and ask if you can display part of your work "privately".

At least from my personal experience, some studios are OK for us to show it as a portfolio in "private" session. Unfortunately that means you need to be there in person and show it yourself on your own machine. Passing it through recruiter is a big no no.

This can create a bad situation where the company *might* feel like the employee is looking to leave. Meaning either the employee will be gone, or the company will have to give the employee a counter offer to keep them.

I read a statistic, probably BS like everything but it makes sense, that an employee in this situation, who chooses to take their companies counter offer and stay with that company, is typically let go within 3-6 months. The company sees them as hostile employees and makes the counter offer to keep them around while they hunt for a replacement.

There was a thread on the finances subreddit discussing this which I thought was fascinating to read.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    This sounds like you are working for an unpaid indie hobby project. Did you sign a NDA ?
    if not then Id personally show them under a disclosure note , they will not spread it so or so.
    Your future is more important and nobody really will care in the end, but thats just what I would do.