Home General Discussion

Unleash the Artist Episode 1 with Ryan Kingslien

Replies

• ryankingslien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryankingslien polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for sharing! That just went up. :)

r
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    "Episode 1" Looking forward to watching more.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Is this gonna be like a weekly kinda thing ?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    This is an interesting perspective! Im looking forward to seeing more of these.

But I agree. Focusing on your strengths is a great idea, but only to a point. I think those who choose to learn a lot of different disciplines tend to spread themselves too thin, and don't quite get up to the quality they desire, or is expected of them in a studio job. I see it all the time, people wanting to do it all, then commenting on how their stuff isn't very good. But, if you choose modeling at your discipline, then working on your weaknesses within modelling isn't a bad thing. Like, you may be an AMAZING hard surface modeler, but be shit at rocks and flora, or cloth. In that case, I don't think it's a bad idea to practice those things you're weakest at, because it's still furthering your knowledge of modeling, which, some techniques could transfer over to your hard surface stuff.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    slipsius wrote: »
    Focusing on your strengths is a great idea, but only to a point.

Well...It can even be stretched to a point even before you've made your first ever artwork. Not only you didn't have any strong areas at that point, but all you had were weaknesses and things you couldn't do.

I think he was talking more about branching out far too wide (Just like in his example of having to be able to draw no matter what type of artist you are.)
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    lovely. Thanks to Artstation and Ryan Kingslien for making this video possible !