Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maschinen Krieger: Krote

Hi everyone!

I'm making a Krote, the mecha from Maschinen Krieger universe.

The "clean base" high-poly is ready.
I will add the missing stuff (all weldings, material definitions and minor details) after the low-poly is ready for baking.

Here are two shots of the base highpoly:

68NuKBJ.jpg

uH7Lr4P.jpg

C&C is always welcome, cheers!

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice so far I think the main body parts would look awesome with some noise added to them in zBrush :)
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice so far I think the main body parts would look awesome with some noise added to them in zBrush :)

Thanks Matt! I will do some sculpting on biggest parts later on, they definitely will not stay as smooth as they are :D

This weekend I've modeled the low-poly mesh, currently at 50.3k triangles.
    There are several spots I consider optimizing, mainly the cylinders at lower knee area and the spring at foot.

Next step is probably the least interesting, unwrapping, so there might be a pause in updates.

GFFEZPO.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Overall the topology looks clean. I'd say you could definitely cut a bit on the cylinders. Also, the shape on the top could use a bit of cleaning up. You've got a few spots where there are large polys next to really small ones and it makes it look a bit messy. Just nitpicky at this point, great work!
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, an update on progress:

1. I have finished UV mapping the low-poly.
    The density is ~600-800 per meter, and I have achieved the goal of fitting entire vehicle into a single 4096x4096 texture. Here's the resulting sheet:

JNvCSnB.jpg

2. I did some geometry optimization, bringing the tri count down to ~42.5k.
    3. Have sculpted most welds and slightly adjusted the LP to fit them.

Next update will likely show a partially baked LP inside Marmoset, whenever I find more free time to continue working on this model.

nickcomeau:
    Thank you! I've adjusted many of cylinders, further refining their amount of segments based on size / visibility. Not sure about remodeling the top shape, but will keep an eye out and add more polygons to it if it looks too angular with normal maps.
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some free time tonight to sculpt the chassis & turret (both are cast metal).
    Later I want to sculpt some wear & tear on edges and add/redo some of the earlier welds I am not happy with.

Here are some progress shots of baked LP from Marmoset Toolbag 2:
    jQBjhRB.png3co6Noo.png
    W0Iilw1.png
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 15
    Very cool! I have one of those standing on a shelf next to my bed, and you absolutely nailed it.
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, Bummer6!
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was not happy with how cast metal looked on hull, so went back and re-sculpted it from scratch.
    Also remade some welds and added some damage marks here and there.

Still need to define all rolled metal parts and sculpt some edge wear/tear to break up straight lines on some of parts.

llrjtkr.png
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all!
    I have uploaded the Marmoset Viewer scene of latest version to Artstation account.

Already received extensive feedback regarding material definition, will address it later, but always open to more c&c!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/maschinen-krieger-krote