Home General Discussion

First ever Game Art job interview coming up - HELP!

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
SgtBabbit greentooth
Hi everyone!

Maybe this is better off in the job forums, I wasn't sure since this isn't actually a job vacancy..But here it is anyway!

I've had plenty of job interviews for I-need-to-pay-the-rent retail jobs, and I feel confident enough with them, but I've just finished University and I've been offered an interview for a junior artist position and I am SO NERVOUS. What should I bring? I have sketchbooks, but they're messy and some have very personal stuff in them (at the time I wasn't exactly intending to use them for an interview!). I have a portfolio, but it's online, not a physical thing ( I was thinking of bringing an iPad to show this?) I neeeeed this guys, need and want. Any advice and direction would be so welcome.

Please and thankyou!

Replies

• 2cat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2cat polycounter lvl 5
    There's a section on the wiki, check under Interviews:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry

That's all I can help you with personally. Good luck!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Make sure you wear pants
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    In my experience Game studio interviews are far far easier than retail. People in the retail sector take interviewing far too seriously and they ask all the typical boring shit and expect you to wear a suit and all that nonsense.

Games interviews are much more laid back and if they've already seen your work (which I expect they have?) then they only want to get to know you as a person. All the interviews I've had have felt more like a nice chat.

This is all just my experience, maybe I got lucky. Anyhoo, Yes, take the Ipad along but I doubt you'll need to use it. I've never had to take anything other than myself along (although I do put my work on USB just in case).

Do your homework on the company and prepare some questions for the interviewer. Its always good to ask them something, don't let the interview be a one way conversation. Try and find out who is interviewing you and look them up on Linkdin etc... See if you can find something to ask about their past work history.

Stay relaxed and enjoy it!...
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    yeah, bringing iPad is not a bad idea, although it's quite likely that they will simply display your online portfolio on their screen.
    Only show sketchbooks if it has art in it that's relevant to gamedev and only if that art is at least as good as online stuff.

I believe Crunchcast had a great episode on gamedev job interviews, you might wanna watch that. also we've had a few interview threads already, try searching for them.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    be yourself and shower before hand.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Do your homework on the company and prepare some questions for the interviewer. Its always good to ask them something, don't let the interview be a one way conversation.

Just to expand on this:

Keep in mind that interviews go both ways. They may be interviewing you, but you're also interviewing them.

Most interviews in the game industry are to vet a candidate's personality and less to assess any sort of ability. They want to know that your personality would mesh well with the people you'll be working with. You should be doing the same, and trying to tease out any possible red flags or potentially difficult situations so they don't crop up earlier.

A really great way to be an active participant in the interview is to ask a lot of questions about the job, about the jobs of the people interviewing you, and about the hobbies and interests of the people you'll be working with. You obviously don't want to get too personal, but finding out about your potential teammates' hobbies should give you some insight into how well you think you'd fit in.

If you want to go the more hard-hitting route with your questions, you could also ask about things like why the position is open (Did someone leave for another job? Are you ramping up production on a new product?), how long the interviewers have been at the company (if they aren't just HR, to assess turnover rate), and the kinds of benefits that are given to employees.

Another really good question is asking what the path to success in the position you're interviewing for looks like.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Swizzle wrote: »
    A really great way to be an active participant in the interview is to ask a lot of questions about the job, about the jobs of the people interviewing you, and about the hobbies and interests of the people you'll be working with.

On that note, make sure to be interested in the studio and the games they're making. Not trying to lump you into a stereotype, but I've seen some recent grads at my last place interview and act like they're too cool for school the whole time. It's fine if this studio isn't your first choice, you're going to probably work for a lot of them in your career. Be excited regardless!
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    slipsius wrote: »
    be yourself and shower before hand.

This. And be sure not to wear a suit or anything super formal.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Oh, and have a figure ready for when they ask you how much you'd like to be earning. This one used to catch me off guard a bit. Again, do homework on the average amount for the position you are applying for and come up with a realistic figure you'd like, then add a little bit ;P

Don't be shy to ask for more than what you think they might be offering. just don't ask for too much more. Asking for more is much better than underselling yourself. The Interviewer will generally be your lead and in my experience they would pay you double if they could...but its not up to them.

Anyway, i think the question usually comes up so they can gauge what you think you are worth and that you have realistic expectations.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    To assert Dominance, challenge everyone you meet to a wrestling contest.

Spandex unitards relay confidence

You can never have too much cologne on

Most gave devs are afraid of bright lights, take a flash light with you, shine it on anyone who gets closer than 2 feet ( 3 feet if it is a programmer)
  • SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    Make sure you wear pants
    DANG IT

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely be doing my homework on the run up to the interview, but I would genuinely be really excited to work for this company.They actually emailed me an itinerary of what to bring/expect which was nice of them. They requested that I bring all personal and professional sketchbooks so I guess that answers that. I'll bring the iPad too, I'd rather be over prepared than under.

The nerves are giving way to excitement. I get to talk about art!! I get to talk to similar minded people about the kind of stuff that makes the world interesting. Even if I don't get the job, I'm looking forward to that. And thank-you @Stinger88, (I'm not sure how to tag people on here) your reminder that they've seen my work and liked it made me a little more confident :)

Thanks again guys ^.^
    I'll be sure to shower.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Wow exciting! Just relax and be yourself.

Let us know how it turns out! :)
  • maximumsproductions
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11