Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Modo Indie on steam for 167,39€ (-40%) until 22 Jun
    Substance Painter 97,49€ (-25%)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    They'll probably be in the daily sale towards the end. They usually are.
  • Stinger88
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    How nice of Rockstar to remove the option to just buy GTA V and replace it with bundle options instead.

Edit: Just read that someone said that due to the Shark Cash Card DLC you can't refund the bundle either.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Just bought Indie Modo, looking forward to giving it a good spin.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    How nice of Rockstar to remove the option to just buy GTA V and replace it with bundle options instead.

Edit: Just read that someone said that due to the Shark Cash Card DLC you can't refund the bundle either.

Can you blame them though? On another note, if you were to go to a store and bought something on sale (usually meaning some sort of clearance sale) you most likely would not be able to return the product unless confirmed faulty in some sort of way or the seller did not deliver on made promises of content. Both of those are grounds to get a refund, and have been, for Steam. Only reason you wouldn't be able to return would be due to buyer's remorse, which makes complete sense if you are especially buying through a sale.

Just my logic, not meant to be a personal attack. They are not trying to introduce the ability to essentially "rent" games through steam, in the form of buying and returning if you have buyer's remorse and the like.

These are points for another topic though, sorry to threadjack. Pretty excited for GTAV and other sales, especially the dev tools. :)
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    They've got a "game"to unlock sales this time around. A.k.a. "carpal tunnel simulator"
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    I emailed the Allegorithmic the other day asking if I could just have Painter on subscription (i already have designer) and they told me to just watch out for the Steam Sale!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    lol what,

Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin: 50% off £14.99
    Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin Upgrade: 20% off £15.99

Guess I'm gonna hang on for now :poly142:
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    tLHMOO4.png

This pretty much resume it, don't buy anything on the first day, it's surely going twice as cheap on the last day.
  • DanglinBob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But... the waiting is the hardest part!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Sigh. I gave in when I saw the green -% box in front of Homeworld's price tag :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Seriously thinking about getting Modo indie for $180, but how the hell am I supposed to bake a high poly model in xNormal with a 100k export limit? I think I read that Modo 901 supports Mikkt space, so I guess I don't have to use xNormal if it works well. Or I could find a weird work around by subdividing a mesh in a different application...

Basically I'm trying to move all my software to professional or indie versions, and the only thing I really have to replace is Softimage Student.

Are there any other limits Modo indie users are hitting when doing work for game art?

How are the vertex normal editing tools?
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Modo Indie 801 SP4
    and the new Modo is 901
    What are the main differences between 801 and 901.

Scholar of the First Sin

19,99€

Upgrade Scholar of the First Sin

19,99€

A nice fuck you for every DS2 owner =S
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I saw that H1Z1 was down to $14.99...with the wipe tomorrow, might be worth it.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Bought the Telltale Bundle for ~57€
    I'm so happy now! (Had a feeling of guilt because I only watched let's plays until now and already wanted to buy the TWD series for a while... now I own all these wunderful games, yeah!)

And Substance Painter is a deal, too? Wow... Maybe I should get it.

So much good stuff... damn.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Main differences between 801 and 901 for game art:
    • 801 doesn't have Mikktspace built in
    • 801 has the old viewport with less flexible shaders
    • 801 has no built-in Mikktspace so you can't bake a Mikktspace tangent normal map in Modo; you have to bake world-space and convert it with xNormal
    • 801 doesn't include MeshFusion with the license, while 901 does. I don't have any way of knowing this so you should take this with a massive boulder of salt but I doubt that MeshFusion will be included in Modo Indie for its 901 iteration.
    • No rectangle unwrap or grid fill in 801! Not really a huge deal but it can be nice to have around. In a pinch you can just round trip your mesh to Blender and grid fill it there. (lol)

Vertex normal editing tools are really not as good in vanilla Modo without Farfarer's toolkit, although they're more robust than you might expect. You can harden and soften edges with Split Normals tool, move normals of components around with Transform Normals (similar to Softimage's out-of-the-box user normal editing capabilities) and you can transfer vertex normals from one mesh to another. Of course, all this normal editing is not as useful as it could be for non-photorealistic rendering purposes since Modo doesn't have custom viewport shaders available yet, but for decreasing gradients on normal map bakes it's quite handy.

If you're on Modo Indie you are probably going to need to learn how to combine bakes from different sources. If you have a 4.7-million-poly Zbrush sculpt or something that you did from a Modo Indie base mesh you are going to have a hard time baking it in Modo, even the full version, compared to xNormal. Of course, Modo has the rounded edges shader which can really speed things up if you need to crank out a bunch of hard-surface stuff quick, so as long as you're baking a subd model, traditional polygon model with rounded edges, or a simple Modo sculpt you'll be able to get good results at a pretty reasonable speed, and if you really need a Mikk synced map for whatever reason you can use xNormal to convert a world-space normal map to tangent space.

It's pretty likely that Modo Indie will be updated sooner or later to have some of those 901 features, but it's hard to say when. In any case there's some pretty good stuff in there right now and it's probably worth the sale price. Of course, it's probably worthwhile to wait and see if it'll be on a daily deal at some point.

Of course, Modo Indie doesn't support scripts and a lot of Modo advocates back in the day used tons of scripts to speed up their workflow. Many scripts are still relevant, especially Farfarer's kits for texel density and vertex normals which both represent major jumps in usability. If the lack of scriptability and programmability bothers you, which it really should, there's always Blender which supports Python scripting and makes all of its source available for free, and there's the full version of Modo which has a pretty nice C++ SDK and supports Python, Perl, and Lua scripts, with Python having the best support of those 3. And if you're a Linux type like I am, Modo Indie is just not an option as it only support Windows and OS X.

Also don't get Modo Indie if you need to be able to export to .dae as that format isn't included. It's not a big deal for UE4 or Unity but it kills Modo Indie's viability for some minor engines like Godot.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well no indie Modo unless there's cheaper upgrade options or there's a free update to indie 901.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys and gals, sorry if it's a stupid question... but how big is the chance that Substance Painter will become a daily deal and even drop in price more then 25%? (Still pretty new to Steam, have been a nintendo/sony playstation gamer before, haha)
    ambershee already said it might be on daily deals (because it usually was?), but have the price drops been significant higher?

Because I want to figure out if I should buy it right now and get started or if I should wait a couple of days to probably save more money, haha.
    Thanks!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Wait until the last day for it to be a flash sale or a daily special.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Daily deals on Substance stuff have happened before, so the chances are good that it'll happen again.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar wrote: »

Cheeky fucks. Large numbers of people had been claiming refunds on it because it didn't run due to the BEX64 error.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily deals on Substance stuff have happened before, so the chances are good that it'll happen again.

It's been a daily deal something like 5-6 sales in a row now :)
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Since Modo Indie also comes with a subscription, that leads me to believe that you don't ever need to buy an upgrade to newer Modo releases. Indie will probably always be up to date.
    So I assume they will also add features from 901 and future versions sooner or later as well. But if you're unsure, why don't you email their support? They answer pretty quickly usually.
  • Cibo
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Shady stuff with GTA 5
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Fenyce wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals, sorry if it's a stupid question... but how big is the chance that Substance Painter will become a daily deal and even drop in price more then 25%?

We are not responsible for flash/daily sales. These are Valve's choice so we really don't know if there will be one. The chances that there will be one this time is very small though (due to various reasons).
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you don't set the % either?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    We are not responsible for flash/daily sales. These are Valve's choice so we really don't know if there will be one. The chances that there will be one this time is very small though (due to various reasons).

sucks, was only going to buy if 50% or such. Too broke :poly142:
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We did set the global % sale, but we have no control over the flash/daily sale.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    We did set the global % sale, but we have no control over the flash/daily sale.

Huh, I never knew that. I always thought you had full control on the sales.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Shady stuff with GTA 5

I just checked the store page, did they jack up the price to give a fake discount?
    Even with 25% off its still more than what i paid at launch
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    A few lesser known titles that are worth it

Sir, you are being hunted 90% off $1.99, getting multiplayer july 1st
    Grow Home 40% off $4.79
    Race the Sun 80% off $1.99, brilliant time killer
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    MikeF wrote: »
    I just checked the store page, did they jack up the price to give a fake discount?
    They bundled the base game with a microtransaction and as a result raised the base price to $80, then they applied a discount to bring the price back down to $60. They also have other bundles which include a copy of San Andreas or Max Payne 3 which has the same shady discount.

On an unrelated note, everybody should buy Rogue Legacy. It's so addicting!
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    MikeF wrote: »

They pulled a double shade. They bundled it with a shark card. Which automatically redeems itself on your social club account making the game nonrefundable.

Also they:
    • pulled down the option to just buy GTAV
    • made the bundled $85 GTAV/Shark CARD available
    • and then put that bundle on sale at 15% to bring it back down to it's original price.

I guess you do get the shark card at a discount but it's still super misleading of them to do.

I wouldn't mind paying full price for this game. Or even given a lesser discount say 5-10% but going about it the way they have is a giant Middle finger to their fans. Also this isn't a new release we are talking about here the game has already been out for 2 years on console.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Well the game is topping the charts since its release, it wouldn't make much sense for them to put it on sale now.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Just got Slammed. Really awesome text choose your own adventure. Was only $2
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apotheon 75% off 3,74 euro. Really cool action game with a really awesome and unique art style.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far pretty disappointing. Not a lot of major discounts
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Transistor, 5 usd. Nothing else seems quite worth it right now.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    I buyed Apatheon and Nidhogg (i suck).
    For the good old days Arx fatalis and Dark Messiah.
    And for boring times Shadowrun Dragonfall.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Seriously considering shelling out $17.49 to Endless Legend for the art even though there's no way I can fit a 4x game into my schedule.
  • katana
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/219640/

Chivalry is 90% off until tomorrow. Jus sayin
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    So far pretty disappointing. Not a lot of major discounts

either the deals suck or I already own too many Steam games. I couldn't really find much I wanted to buy. And for the indie titles I usually hold out until they appear on GoG... at least my wallet is still happy. I guess that counts for something.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Ori is now 40% off, just sayin
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ori is awesome, and worth it at it's current price - but I wouldn't call 40% off a 'major discount'.

It seems it's always the same games that offer the same discounts each time, and as a result there's often not much worth buying. I've spent about $50 on lots of little indie games this year.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    well it will not go lower for some time, so right now is the best deal you could get.

that said i also think its worth the 20 bucks it costs undiscounted, but maybe i am biased ;)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    It seems it's always the same games that offer the same discounts each time

If I had a dollar for every time payday 2 has been discounted then I wouldn't need Steam discounts any more