Home General Discussion

Industry News Sites

.nL
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
.nL polycounter lvl 3
Where do you get your industry news/articles, and why do you like said publication(s)?

The List:
Targeting Developers:
  • Gamasutra
    Mostly topical articles, industry news and the occasional indie post-postmortems on the front page. Plenty of user submitted gems if you're willing to dig.

• Gamedev.net
    Not too familiar with this one. Front page is a curated list of user-submitted articles, mostly technical in nature. Has a tab for news, and pages listing the latest community articles broken down by topic.

• AiGameDev.com
    Great site for all things ai in video games. Has a tiered membership model, with some content blocked off for non-premium users.

• Polycount.com
    Bunch of shady blokes modelling weaponized genitalia. Wouldn't go near it.

• IndieDB
    Hub for all things indie, the front page has a feed of the latest articles by various devs.

• Tech-Artists.org
    A forum first and foremost. Hangout for tech artists

• gamesindustry.biz
    News site focusing on the business side of the industry, but with a variety of other articles as well.

Targeting Gamers:
I'll keep the list updated as I find more sites, or they're suggested.

Original Post:

I've recently been looking for, but unable to find, sites not unlike Gamasutra which don't have much of their content locked behind a paywall.

Gamasutra's a great site, but over the past year or so, their featured content appears to me to have become more concerned with social issues than technical, design, and artistic ones, which is what I've always read it for (not to say that the social ones are bad, just not what I like to read in my off time).

Are there any other sites like Gamasutra that focus more on the how of development, vs. the why?

Regardless, where do you get your industry news, and why do you like said publication(s)?

Replies