Home General Discussion

Northern Ireland 3D courses?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Moltar polycounter lvl 7
Hi there!

I've been browsing the web in search of any School/college that teach 3D modeling courses. I live in Northern Ireland and from the search results I get it seems that most of the courses that existed before are now gone. I also phoned some Colleges, but none of them have a clue..

I was hoping someone from N.Ireland could help me find a course?

Replies

• ATPete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you looking to learn? If it's games art, with 3DSMax and the like, you'd probably be better off self-teaching unless you know the course you've found is actually really good.

What level would you be looking at anyway? College, university? Short courses?
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    ATPete wrote: »
    What are you looking to learn? If it's games art, with 3DSMax and the like, you'd probably be better off self-teaching unless you know the course you've found is actually really good.

What level would you be looking at anyway? College, university? Short courses?

For the most part I've been teaching myself, but a few of my friends told me that it's good to learn industry pipelines when modeling and specialize very early because there is nothing worse than getting your first Job in the industry and failing your first dead line due to lack of knowledge in your role.

Definitely game art and interior design are things I am interested in.

College or University, I don't mind. Short courses are good too but they are no better than a Youtube Tut.

(edit: I love your DP, ATPete lol)
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There honestly isn't much in NI you are better looking at some of the better courses in Scotland or England.
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    There honestly isn't much in NI you are better looking at some of the better courses in Scotland or England.

I would love to do that but I can't right now.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Moltar wrote: »
    For the most part I've been teaching myself, but a few of my friends told me that it's good to learn industry pipelines when modeling and specialize very early because there is nothing worse than getting your first Job in the industry and failing your first dead line due to lack of knowledge in your role.

You wont learn that at college either. On your first job you'll learn more in the first weeks about pipelines that any course. Anything taught on a course will be devoid of real world pipelines (like, stay in the weekend, we have no fucking memory and need to reduce polycounts/textures/both).

In your second job the pipeline will be different.

I'm not sure what is good in NI at the minute - how far can you travel daily?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    You might be better off doing an online course where you can learn from those around the world who are actually working in the industry.
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    You wont learn that at college either. On your first job you'll learn more in the first weeks about pipelines that any course. Anything taught on a course will be devoid of real world pipelines (like, stay in the weekend, we have no fucking memory and need to reduce polycounts/textures/both).

In your second job the pipeline will be different.

I'm not sure what is good in NI at the minute - how far can you travel daily?

Well I want a good understanding of certain pipelines before I enter the industry. Better prepared than not.

The length and breadth of N.Ireland and Republic is what im limited to at this moment in time. Although in time I might be able to travel to the likes of England or Scotland. But for now im focusing on home... there has got to be something.
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    slipsius wrote: »
    You might be better off doing an online course where you can learn from those around the world who are actually working in the industry.

What courses would you suggest?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Moltar wrote: »
    Well I want a good understanding of certain pipelines before I enter the industry. Better prepared than not.

The length and breadth of N.Ireland and Republic is what im limited to at this moment in time. Although in time I might be able to travel to the likes of England or Scotland. But for now im focusing on home... there has got to be something.

Trust me on this - school will not prepare you. Online will be MUCH better. Polycount will be much better. I don't think there is anything back in Ireland that will teach you, unless you find some modders and work it out. That's a better route.

Source: Me, born and raised in Norn Irn, working in games for 16 years.
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    Trust me on this - school will not prepare you. Online will be MUCH better. Polycount will be much better. I don't think there is anything back in Ireland that will teach you, unless you find some modders and work it out. That's a better route.

Source: Me, born and raised in Norn Irn, working in games for 16 years.

I have to admit, it's quite inspiring to hear you're from Wee Norn Iron too, and working in games. Something like that is my dream Job (even though it's extremely stressful).

I think I know a few online courses that will help me out.