Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jess Molloy - Feedback / Review / C&C

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
jessabellerina polycounter lvl 2
Hi there!

I'm Jess, a 2nd year at the University of Hertfordshire studying Games Art & Design.

I was wondering if I'd be able to get some feedback on the work I upload, and any advice on other art topics!

Replies

• jessabellerina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting to model Finn and Jake's bedroom from Adventure Time.
    I've blocked out the scene and have started making the assets.
    I'm not sure whether to texture and light the scene within the cartoon-style, or to go for a more realistic approach.
    prog1_small.png
  • jessabellerina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wind in the Willows – Anthropomorphic character – University project.

wFAnPvt.jpg
    0CNpLFW.jpg

I’ve decided to make a pig, most likely as a butcher /or/ chef. I used a basic human model from zBrush to sculpt the fat folds and pig head, the topology is still fairly low and simple (for in-game).
    I was thinking of dressing him in a vest, apron (waist down), trousers and boots.
    I'm not quite sure if that'll look WiW enough (Early 1900's)

Any ideas?... A toupe?
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start with the pig guy. But need lot of work on anatomy. And for your environment scene you should go for the style that suits the story you have. Cartoon style would suit if it has some funny characters and some stylized props. Butcher pig sounds scary,so you can try realistic textures and lighting. Don't stop sculpting. All the best and cheers.
  • jessabellerina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harricool; Thanks for the feedback!
    I'll do some more work into anatomy, is there anything in particular that's 'off' about the model? I know his fat-folds look like he's lost a bit too much weight...
  • jessabellerina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1RpuOQr.jpg
    L1iH9by.jpg
    wUdDKq9.jpg
    AV Bedroom Update - More props, in place. Next up is maps, texturing then importing to engine and lighting!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice work!
    The pig looks like it is missing volume. I mean the fat blobs look a bit incomplete and floaty atm. Are you going to animate this? Put it in a game engine? What are you aiming for?
    Cheers
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the environment is coming along.Its a good practice to post some beauty shots for the scene rendered in mental ray or v-ray to get better details and form. Keep working on the pig guy too. I found a concept art on deviantart by JSMarantz. May be something on this line would work great. Cheers.

PtfBVe6.jpg
  • jessabellerina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga wrote: »
    Nice work!
    The pig looks like it is missing volume. I mean the fat blobs look a bit incomplete and floaty atm. Are you going to animate this? Put it in a game engine? What are you aiming for?
    Cheers

I only have about a week left, it's mainly for just design work though eventually I'll work over it and rig it etc.

I'm finding the fat folds quite difficult now; he keeps looking like he's lost weight recently, so maybe I should fold it less.

I wanted a scary butcher but at the moment he's not creepy enough. There's a '40K triangle polygon limit' (according to the brief) so I don't want to add too much.

Then again if he's not going into engine just yet, I could do high-poly then normal that down to low-poly later... Thinking out loud here!

Thanks for the feedback!
  • jessabellerina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harricool wrote: »
    Looks like the environment is coming along.Its a good practice to post some beauty shots for the scene rendered in mental ray or v-ray to get better details and form. Keep working on the pig guy too. I found a concept art on deviantart by JSMarantz. May be something on this line would work great. Cheers.

Thanks! I'll render the progress and see what that looks like, I didn't think of that.
    That's a great concept, I hadn't seen that before. If I have time I might try to use that as inspiration with the head and body shape. If not, I will do in the future!

Thanks for the response :)
  • jessabellerina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M7zLptO.png

Render.
    Still trying to decide on texturing. I may go for block colours, like the cartoon, and leave 'realistic' texturing for a later personal project.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    How are you finding Hertfordshire?

It seems like a really great place from what I have seen, I am hoping to go there for uni
  • jessabellerina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Doxturtle,

It's great, I've had a few issues so I'm not as advanced as I feel I should be, but that's my own thing. :) The lecturers are really friendly and really helpful.

If you need any tips on applying, feel free to message me / add me on Linkedin :)
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Finn's_bedroom.jpg

I don't really get the Finn's Bedroom vibe. Looking at the full picture their room is clearly weird, yet yours look normal.

Also, why has your high poly got so many edges before you smooth it.

P.S. How long you planning on working on the bedroom?

Can you maybe post a prop you have done. For example, have you modelled a normal cabinet before?