Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chicken Timer Robot

dylantc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
dylantc polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone, here's a robot model that I've been working on recently. It's supposed to be a chicken egg timer robot that catapults explosive quail eggs.

7GWIpoZ.jpg

b83gS8c.jpg
I've also been working on some animations for him and making him controllable in Unreal and I'm also hoping to make a little kitchen scene for him to run around in at some point. Here's a video of my animation so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YOpT70umxw

I'd definitely appreciate any feedback. I'll be sure to post more updates as I continue working on it.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Haha this is amazing.

I think you could do some better value/material breakup on the body of him. The bottom half of him is just blending together into one shape.

Cant wait to see where you go with this!
  • Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    What a freaky chicken, I would play this kind of game xD
  • Grubber
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 15
    What a crazy idea! And very funny one :D
  • Poeli
    Offline / Send Message
    Poeli polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Dylantc,

my name is Oliver Henne (my last name is translated "Chicken" in english). So i have a huge affiliation to rooster, chicken etc.

Your work is great! Nice Idea...

Last April i started a study at SAE-Institute Cologne as an 3D Artist. I hope to create such stunnig 3D Models soon.

I think my fist project at the SAE will be a big muskled rooster worrier with an egg - gun...
    Hope i can show some stuff soon.

Sunny greetings from Cologne, Germany.

Oliver Henne (Chicken)
  • dylantc
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.
    Oliver: that sound pretty cool, I'd love to see your project.

I've been working on sketching out an idea for a kitchen environment that the chicken could run around in. My idea is that there would be two teams fighting for control of a gourmet quail egg on the central table. One team would be the chicken robots and the other would be robotic mice that shoot laser beams and are created in 3d printers.
    2cH2Aim.jpg

r1Yli5P.jpg

Here's some of my reference images. I'm hoping to make the kitchen have a rustic french style.

e311M1S.jpg

And here's some early progress on my blockout of the scene in Unreal.

wMmSAdZ.jpg

C18IAqv.jpg

I'll be sure to post updates as I make more progress on the environment.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    lol awesome ideas and nice work, really like the kitchen concepts and artwork.
  • Mirhale
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirhale vertex
    Chickennnnnnnns!! this is awesome by the way! but chickennnnns! the material values on that chicken is such win!
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    such an awesome originality to this one, love it!
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome idea. LOVE IT. :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • BramScrum
    Offline / Send Message
    BramScrum polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome mate! I like the idea, very original! You've got yourself your first subscriber on youtube ;) I am looking forward to see more.
  • dylantc
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while since I last got to work on this, but I'm hoping to take the next couple of weeks to work on part of this kitchen scene. I'll primarily be focusing on this corner:

I've been working on progressing the block out a bit more as well as getting some basic materials started:

• dylantc
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a few new images of the environment, I've been working on getting some more materials started and adding some more models to fill up the counter space.

• dylantc
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some more work I've been doing on this. I've started adding in some things like curtains and decal stains on the walls, as well as making more adjustments to the materials:

• BucketOfNuggets
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Oh man this rules on so many levels!

2 quick things. They chicken seems to get lost in some of those shots. Will it be an issue when your playing the game or do you plan to add edge lighting or some other trick to make the chicken and other characters pop out from the background?

The bottom of the the pots looks brand new and perfectly clean, seems a bit off from the rest of the scene. 

So keen to see the final product!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    I'm curious about the leaking decal stains... I don't feel like they make much sense in accordance to the placement of them... Where are the leaks coming from? I feel like you could possibly get away with putting them just above the stove area to fake a slight smoked/burn look but even so it's a leak style decal so it's worth just changing it to something more of a smoke build up style instead.

The ripped curtains are questionable, they seem like a piece of tissue that's been ripped intricately overly and overly again from every edge and it doesn't quite give you the idea as to why or how... I'd tone down the wear on it for sure.

I do question the dirtiness of the kitchen altogether.. but it's looking quite stylistic to me so I'm not gonna knitpick on it, it does look nice however

Great work so far though man (Y)