Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK 47

Kubajaniak
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kubajaniak polycounter lvl 8
Hello
I'm going to create AK 47 with PBR materials. I already made lp, and started making texture, let me know, what do you think about it. I'm using substance designer for texture

ak2.jpg
ak1.jpg

Maps resided from 2k
maps.jpg

Replies

• Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buchananball polycounter lvl 6
    Looking cool man! Although I think the wood on the handle & stock are stretching slightly, and the metals needs a bit more wear and tear. But good work, keep it coming!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    What are those two maps on the right? I don't think you are setting up your PBR textures correctly.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Your Textures are still WIP.
    Work on them.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'm going to guess the top right is roughness and the bottom right is metallic, if so they're not being done correctly. IE your dirt should be noticeable in your roughness map/dirt areas shouldn't have the same roughness as the wood does.

I'm guessing the bottom right is metallic, which is currently telling me that the only part that's metal is the white looking chromish part of the gun. Not entirely sure if this is correct as I don't know a ton about real guns but I'd assume the Ak-47s main body is made out of a metal that would be shown in the map? Unless it's some sort of polymer material/IE i have no idea.

The modeling looks nice though, I'd just work some more on the textures and possibly get rid of/change the overly-marbling wood.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Based on my learning of metal materials the textures looks correct. The coating on the gun isnt metal so the metal map will be black in those areas. It's a process called bluing where the base metal is coated with a paint like material. It could benefit from some scratches too which would show the base metal in the albedo and metal map. It's shaping up nicely!
  • Kubajaniak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kubajaniak polycounter lvl 8
    Hey.
    About metal map... as Chase said, metal is painted, so i think it should be black.
    Textures are still wip. This is the reason why i made this topic. I want to hear your opinions, and tips, what can i change to create them better. I will be grateful for all tips how to create nice looking dirt on texture.
    I decided to use photoshop instead substance. Here is how it looks for now

ak3.jpg

maps2.jpg
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
    Subbed! Interested to see how this turns out :)
    Personally I like use the clouds filter and overlaying that on-top of the wooden sections on the roughness map; helps in adding a worn-down glossy feel to the stocks.

Also, for the metal, try the fibers filter and overlay that.

Awesome work so far!
  • Phong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phong polycounter lvl 3
    the wear along the edges of the receiver looks too even in comparison to the rest of the gun to me. you could use curvature maps from xnormal then mask them out in photoshop to add the grunge, to make it a bit easier.
  • VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't this from that Game Tutors tutorial?
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    the wood on the handle looks like it could be better if it ran along upwards instead of horizontally, keep going (Y)
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely an improvement from the first update, keep it up bud