Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gunzfire's Hearthstone Board and Cardback

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gunzfire polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys. I am currently taking Robotpencil's environment mentorship and here is the second project I am working on for the class. I will be working on creating my own Hearthstone board with a card back to match it. Here is the link to the first project if you are interested. (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151780)

Here are some rough ideas from the sketchbook.
k2BfJUX.jpg
zuyGQ9M.jpg

Tying down some of the ideas for an in game perspective.
TLecsnx.jpg
eVdMtQi.jpg

I felt I wasn't iterating enough different ideas so I went back and tried to incorporated more story elements from the Wow raids from that region. Expanded the Draenei theme to Talador rather than just the battle of Shattrath. The Northrend board undergo many changes as the region had a lot of history and was too big to fit on a board, so I narrowed it down a bit and decided to focus mainly on the Ice Crown Citadel.
piNujqq.jpg
VN7lLt2.jpg

After designing the corner pieces, I designed some card backs using the corner pieces as an influence. This way, the shape language would be consistent. Some of the main struggles was coming up with unique designs that doesn't resemble the ones already in game.

j5Zq3QV.jpg

During the class, Kalen tallied up some votes on which pieces I should go with. So here are the four for the corner pieces that survived. I just incorporated some flat colors right now to plan the battle before it gets render heavy. This planning might take longer, but I struggled in previous projects when I didn't take the time to separate my colors and materials clearly.

ahJdZ6J.jpg
ii8OTAo.jpg
For these cards, I am planning to take A and D to a finish render.
mCn4apx.jpg

Replies